AI in music

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

AI in music

Postby Steve James on Thu May 11, 2023 5:13 am

Actually, this reminded me that it's advisable for everyone to have a safe-word to avoid being scammed by someone imitating a loved-one's voice.
The music stuff is trivial compared to that, but it's still scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eAQOhDNLt4
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: AI in music

Postby everything on Thu May 11, 2023 6:22 pm

Didn’t have time to watch whole thing.

Any recap? Legal? Creative? Prediction?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu May 11, 2023 7:10 pm

The video is less important than the psa. It might be interest musicians, specifically, but some points are that:

If someone uses AI to reproduce Elvis, who gets the rights? The creator or Elvis's estate? Can it be copyrighted at all.
There are some AI reproductions of singers that have gotten millions of views, and some people have preferred them to the originals.

As I said, the deeper issue is that it can copy you. Suppose your child called and said they needed some money because they'd been in an accident? How do you "know" you'd be talking to them? The video just discusses the effects on the music industry.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu May 11, 2023 7:55 pm

They are already doing the one with the kids calling for cash
I think you should be able to tell by your kids response if you know your kids
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Thu May 11, 2023 7:59 pm

I like this guy's channel...
Good stuff. Interesting comparison with the Napster phenomenon.

I think eventually, after all the hype settles and people sort this out and learn to live with it, where AI music is its own subgenre like what "electronic music" had become, things will normalize and all this might boost the value of, and demand for, live performances.

The whole thing reminded me of this:
https://youtu.be/cPjva0C5_Cc
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri May 12, 2023 5:17 am

Yeah, he has a great channel.

Imo, the AI music thing is more a matter of who profits from what. That part is irrelevant to me. Afa the end product, if it's good music, I'm totally fine with it. Hearing new Michael Jackson or John Lennon songs could be cool, though a bit sacrilegious.:) To me, though, the biggest loss is that the result can never be experienced live with an audience.

I grew up with Bernstein's work. I played cello in school orchestra. I used to go down to Lincoln Center to the music library to listen to the classics through headphones. I remember when Switched on Bach was released. It was played on the radio. Yeah, there's a similarity. Though, a synthesizer keyboard is still an instrument.

Anyway, the musical aspect doesn't scare me at all.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri May 12, 2023 4:09 pm

Steve James wrote:the biggest loss is that the result can never be experienced live with an audience.

I think it'll happen the same weird way it's been happening with electronic music - some sort of a DJ/party setup maybe. Obviously no musicians with instruments, because there wouldn't be any to begin with for that sort of music. Possibly an AI -generated holographic projection of "player(s)"?
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri May 12, 2023 5:00 pm

Possibly an AI -generated holographic projection of "player(s)"?

You're right. It's happened already with a holographic Michael Jackson. I guess it'd be possible to have AI MJ renditions of new songs. But, can anyone make their own?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sat May 13, 2023 4:12 am

You still need humans. AI lacks initiative. :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat May 13, 2023 12:08 pm

Steve James wrote:The video is less important than the psa. It might be interest musicians, specifically, but some points are that:

If someone uses AI to reproduce Elvis, who gets the rights? The creator or Elvis's estate? Can it be copyrighted at all.
There are some AI reproductions of singers that have gotten millions of views, and some people have preferred them to the originals.

As I said, the deeper issue is that it can copy you. Suppose your child called and said they needed some money because they'd been in an accident? How do you "know" you'd be talking to them? The video just discusses the effects on the music industry.

Some mention Elvis ;D

Last edited by windwalker on Sat May 13, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat May 13, 2023 2:44 pm

Looks like him, and the visuals are cool. The voice sounds a bit off, for some reason.

Anyway, now he'll never get to leave the building.
Thank you very much. :)
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic