why is SKorea's birth rate falling faster

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

why is SKorea's birth rate falling faster

Postby everything on Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:35 am

https://old.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimf ... e_falling/

top answer at the moment
I used to live there. Having kids in Korea is very expensive. It's a hyper competitive society, families put huge emphasis on education and will spend large sums to get their kids in the best schools. Add on to that that Korea is already an expensive, stressful place to live. It is normal there for people to work 10-12 hour days, then go out drinking with their coworkers afterwards until late into the night. If your boss invites you all out, which is common, it's not always easy to say no. Hard to raise a family with that lifestyle. Now add in to that that Korea is a very conservative country. Single mothers there are heavily stigmatized, they could be fired from their jobs and ostracized from their families. I had a white coworker who got pregnant and she lied to her boss that she was getting married so she wouldn't lose her job. Most women who get pregnant out of wedlock will get an abortion. If they have a baby it will very often be sent to an orphanage, however Koreans have no culture of adoption, they place a great deal of importance on bloodline, blood relatives. An adopted child wouldn't really be considered "family", as such many of them end up sent overseas to places like america. While Korea is a wealthy, developed country, it is also very unequal. It is hard for average Koreans to get a good job, even with a college degree. There are other reasons but those are some of the big ones.

another of those insidiously stupid human loops nobody can end. i guess if you just don't have many babies, it'll come to an end.
Last edited by everything on Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic