self defense from ... dogs?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: self defense from ... dogs?

Postby vadaga on Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:29 am

just remembered the old trick... vs one angry dog you could try wrapping your coat around your forearm and warding it off with that for starters. YMMV
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:52 am

origami_itto wrote:Image

so many questions for all these funny stories lol
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:59 am

vadaga wrote:just remembered the old trick... vs one angry dog you could try wrapping your coat around your forearm and warding it off with that for starters. YMMV

I want to say I saw Cesar the dog whisperer guy have to do this. Could be a made up or composite memory. Seems like he put something around his arm. The dog would try to bite/hold his arm, and then he continued with the training. But that was not a dog intent on doing fatal damage. Seemed to be "miscommunication" and "the dog wants you to be the pack leader, and you're not doing it correctly" kind of stuff (still probably scary as heck for any normal human).
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:14 am

everything wrote:
vadaga wrote:just remembered the old trick... vs one angry dog you could try wrapping your coat around your forearm and warding it off with that for starters. YMMV

I want to say I saw Cesar the dog whisperer guy have to do this. Could be a made up or composite memory. Seems like he put something around his arm. The dog would try to bite/hold his arm, and then he continued with the training. But that was not a dog intent on doing fatal damage. Seemed to be "miscommunication" and "the dog wants you to be the pack leader, and you're not doing it correctly" kind of stuff (still probably scary as heck for any normal human).

Imo, it's an excellent idea. However, in Cesar's case, it's a training aid. Trainers use sleeves to avoid injury when training them to bite. Put it like this; if you're walking down the wintry street, it'll depend on when the dog attacks you (and the dog, of course). Let's say a careless owner has let his Rottweiler loose. Worse, you walk into his yard unexpectedly. Ya better be quick. And, if you are, then you've got him; now what are you going to do with him?

It'd help to be armed. If you carry a blade handy, or a nice heavy pipe. There's an old story about a fighting dog with a shriveled foreleg. The owner limps him in and people place their bets. Most of the people bet on him. Newcomers look amazed that anyone would bet on a crippled animal. Anyway, the fight starts. The other dog rushes in and bites the crippled leg. The crippled dog then tears into the other's throat. It always seemed very taichi to me.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:22 am

"give flesh take bone" is what an old timey karate instructor told us once.

but, yikes, in that case it's "give bone take flesh" .... flesh where the vital arteries are right underneath, I guess.

i don't personally carry any weapon that could be used in these dog scenarios. if someone is hiking somewhere with more dangerous animals, it seems very wise to have something better than a tiny pocket knife, "bear spray" or whatnot ... I def don't know anything about extending the "self defense" scenario to wild animals. some people here want to talk about "fighting" humans in unarmed 1v1 duels, but these kind of scenarios seem more likely to me.

changing the subject, "defensive driving" is something i'm forced to use every day now. see constant near misses and accidents and generally stupid behaviors more and more.
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:54 am

@Everything I drove in China, road signs are only optional there /ot
back on topic I suppose if you can get a dog to grab onto this hypothetical well wrapped arm (yeah you'd want to be quick) then you could try tiring it out before running away
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:22 am

vadaga wrote:@Everything I drove in China, road signs are only optional there /ot
back on topic I suppose if you can get a dog to grab onto this hypothetical well wrapped arm (yeah you'd want to be quick) then you could try tiring it out before running away

That falls under "give it something else to bite as a distraction" which could open up the throat for a knife or a good kick across the room, IMHO.

Which speaks to the first law of defense, when an attack is imminent you have three choices, 1) Eat the attack, 2) Be somewhere else, 3) Put something else in the way.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:53 am

There was a big lad at this event who was doubtful that the "small" malinois dog could take him down. He was given a head start and...the dog took him down. Against certain types of dog you don't have much chance unarmed.

"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:24 am

kind of super nice "pull down" in the take down moment I saw. i was imagining a dog pushing someone down, but I forgot it could likely grab your arm and pull you down as well (unless you're a tai cheeeeee master ;D ). dogs are really amazing
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:39 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:03 pm

everything wrote:kind of super nice "pull down" in the take down moment I saw. i was imagining a dog pushing someone down, but I forgot it could likely grab your arm and pull you down as well (unless you're a tai cheeeeee master ;D ). dogs are really amazing

Okay so last night, out little American Pit got out and ran in the street for a bit. The road has a speed limit of 40 but people regularly pull 60+.

She was out by the neighbor's and I heard the neighbor come out and start yelling for the dog to get out of the road, but I couldn't see anything. This huge truck, like a Silverado or something else with less visibility than a tank came barreling down the boulevard.

The neighbor started screaming at the truck to slow down but they didn't so much as tap the brakes. We heard it hit SOMETHING like WHACK without slowing down a bit.

My wife lost it, convinced her dog was a grease spot, but the mutt came running back with a bit of motivation but no limping or whining, full speed. Put her to bed, get up and everybody is happy.

Bout ten minutes ago the neighbor came by to ask how the dog was after she literally saw her get clipped by the pickup truck going 50.

I'm checking her out, not a bruise or cut or sore spot to be found, no limp, no whining. Like... not a scratch on the bitch, she's still giving the boys twice her size the business.

How can you fight something like that?

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:01 pm

origami_itto wrote:Image

Yeah this idiotic new fashion of making SUVs and trucks with vertical grills the size of a small backyard shed had been annoying me for aesthetic reasons alone... That's a great visual.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:24 am

I watched that first malinois vid... great use of taiji push hands principles by the dog in all seriousness... leverage behind the elbow and just drive forward...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic