smokers and bbq, ribs, brisket, oh my

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

smokers and bbq, ribs, brisket, oh my

Postby everything on Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:37 am

disclaimers/caveats that I'm reducing (mainly red) meat consumption, plus red meat, smoked meat, charred meat (and all 3 combined) are unhealthy and probably carcinogenic. ... nevertheless.... for random reasons I think I'm gonna buy a smoker, maybe the Weber Smokey Mountain or the Pit Barrel Cooker (basically there is a fire at the bottom of a barrel, lol) to make some ribs, pork, chicken, maybe a brisket (supposedly super difficult), perhaps a turkey on rare occasion like US Thanksgiving day.

alright, rsf, any tips, advice, stories, rants, raves, other commentary? :P :) 8-)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: smokers and bbq, ribs, brisket, oh my

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:36 pm

If you're new to it, unless you're really good with controlling the temperature, just get one of them electric smokers to get a feel for the recipes and if you REALLY like it then start messing with a wood fire.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:56 pm

am so so with the gas convection oven (def a beginner). i'm super tempted to get the pit barrel for the same set-and-forget ease (supposedly). but avoiding the smoked grease as the main method of "smoke" and ability to do the same but with slight tweaks (medium difficulty to near-set-and-forget) is probably too tempting. i kinda am getting obsessed before having any real ability/experience. been watching too much bbq tv.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:17 pm

Unless you're going to be doing a whole lot of stuff, just a regular Weber charcoal grill is just as easy, more versatile, and probably cheaper.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:56 pm

yeah i think i'm suckered in by the marketing (as well as glowing user reviews on either of these barrel thingys). just in case i grow into a new hobby (that keeps on giving). no big plans, and i still want to avoid eating a lot of red meat, but i guess biggest daydream would be to achieve a decent Texas style brisket.

i think it's also the "primitive" fun of "make fire" and "cook big chunk of meat" outdoors and have a big meat-oriented feast. i'm not that outdoorsy, and am def not into tail-gating, but there's something about the outdoor cooking thing, plus the feasting, lol.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:33 pm

everything wrote:am so so with the gas convection oven (def a beginner). i'm super tempted to get the pit barrel for the same set-and-forget ease (supposedly). but avoiding the smoked grease as the main method of "smoke" and ability to do the same but with slight tweaks (medium difficulty to near-set-and-forget) is probably too tempting. i kinda am getting obsessed before having any real ability/experience. been watching too much bbq tv.

The propane systems with the pellets are pretty easy too.

I mean, sure you can use a charcoal grill and I respect the grind on that, but at the end of the day it's faster, cheaper, and easier to deliver a consistent result with an electric or propane with electronic temperature control.

On the high end the eggs have that capability I believe, I dunno never used one myself but a coworker was yammering about it. Charcoal versatility and flavor but less futzing than a little webber. If I understand it right there's a thermometer and fan setup you can attach to control airflow precisely to dial in the perfect temperature.

https://biggreenegg.com/
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:04 am

ah very cool. I had a normal propane one from Home Depot or Lowe's for a long time til it got rusty/broke down. Was good.

For whatever reason, probably tv and user reviews and youtube, I now want to try for the charcoal route (more "primal" feeling maybe?). Decided my tinkerer-desire will override my laziness-set-and-forget desire, so I've gone ahead and ordered the Weber Smokey Mountain over the Pit Barrel Cooker (albeit there would be something so cool about cooking in a barrel that looks like a movie homeless fire barrel). It looks like this

Will post if I ever get success, and will some day try to cook some brisket for the big RSF picnic.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:58 am

everything wrote:Will post if I ever get success, and will some day try to cook some brisket for the big RSF picnic.

That would, like a Dothraki wedding, be a very dull affair without a death or two.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:17 am

everything wrote:ah very cool. I had a normal propane one from Home Depot or Lowe's for a long time til it got rusty/broke down. Was good.

For whatever reason, probably tv and user reviews and youtube, I now want to try for the charcoal route (more "primal" feeling maybe?). Decided my tinkerer-desire will override my laziness-set-and-forget desire, so I've gone ahead and ordered the Weber Smokey Mountain over the Pit Barrel Cooker (albeit there would be something so cool about cooking in a barrel that looks like a movie homeless fire barrel). It looks like this

Will post if I ever get success, and will some day try to cook some brisket for the big RSF picnic.

try this one, there are cheaper ones,,,Traditional :)

windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:14 pm

origami_itto wrote:
everything wrote:Will post if I ever get success, and will some day try to cook some brisket for the big RSF picnic.

That would, like a Dothraki wedding, be a very dull affair without a death or two.

heh heh yeah

windwalker wrote:

that looks super similar to the one i decided to get (more of an R2D2 shaped one). it can still do "trash can BBQ" style, but it can also be used like a normal grill.
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:55 am

you can smoke fish with those smokers as well... my cousin has done bluefish and mackerel
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:07 am

vadaga wrote:you can smoke fish with those smokers as well... my cousin has done bluefish and mackerel

I love a little salmon in them. Can use the leftovers for dip
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic