California suddenly not in drought

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: California suddenly not in drought

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:42 am

everything wrote:everybody should theoretically be interested in the long term habitability of the planet. no need to be independent, monied, smart, or anything else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I admire the optimism of your mindset.

Assuming equal access to perfect information, you would think people would come to the correct conclusion, but alas, as a society we find ourselves unable to construct useful meaning from the information overload we move through.

We're greedy, scared, selfish, shortsighted and willfully avoid information that threatens our worldview.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:04 am

We're greedy, scared, selfish, shortsighted and willfully avoid information that threatens our worldview.

That's true, but so are most animal species. But, hey, 95% of all the animal species that ever existed have gone extinct. We just happen to be among the first to recognize and predict for changes lasting longer than a lifetime. I.e., we're the first who have the ability to do anything about it -and that gets back to your point.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:40 am

which kind of gets back to the idea that homo sapiens is, in all probability (based on what happens in general), most likely to go extinct, just like the other homo species before / at the same time as homo sapiens.

we think we are quite clever that we can kill ourselves with nuclear weapons or AI, but maybe it's much more "slow rolling".

optimism

not sure I'm optimistic at all. but you kinda have to root for homo sapiens in this story, don't you? i mean, i guess you could also root for rats and roaches and sharks. perhaps they "deserve" the planet.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:03 am

Steve James wrote:

That's true, but so are most animal species. But, hey, 95% of all the animal species that ever existed have gone extinct. We just happen to be among the first to recognize and predict for changes lasting longer than a lifetime. I.e., we're the first who have the ability to do anything about it -and that gets back to your point.

I think the difference is we're the only ones clever enough to live beyond our means.

We have such a profound ability to manipulate the environment that it removes us from the immediate consequences of our actions. We're out of touch with nature. The natural pressures that keep animal populations in check don't apply to us as much and when they do we apply a lot of time and energy to mitigating the impact.

But is it better to mend a broken leg or just watch where you step and not break it to begin with?

Very few animals behave as much like a pestilence as we do.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:13 pm

everything wrote:
optimism

not sure I'm optimistic at all. but you kinda have to root for homo sapiens in this story, don't you? i mean, i guess you could also root for rats and roaches and sharks. perhaps they "deserve" the planet.

Terry Pratchett said some people are so sharp they cut themselves. I think that applies to the species as a whole.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:41 pm

I think the difference is we're the only ones clever enough to live beyond our means.

We're the homo species that survived. The rub is that we only think we're the cleverest. There's still plenty of stuff our ancestors built that we still can't explain -because we couldn't do it, or rather that our civilized societies couldn't accomplish.

Ok, we may be the smartest, but we might not be smart enough.:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:27 pm

maybe some future homo-ai species will be able to explain our downfall.

when they make commercials to highlight ease, they'll say "so easy a Sapiens could do it"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Kong Bao Long on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:13 pm

Where are the floods?
Am I missing something?
Anyone ever hear of Plymouth Rock? Memorialized when the pilgrim's landed.. and yet.. There it is... dry as dry can be sitting on a beach.

the 1% of the 1% (the people who are saving our lives driving the Green New Deal, Don't they all live in coastal regions. Why would they do that if massive floods and typhoons are happening?

Today... I was listening to NPR and they had a climate scientist on.. funny how she was saying the complete opposite of this

Or

Here. outlines the earth's transition to EV's can't happen. Not enough minerals, not to mention we will environmentally destroy just about every eco system on the planet trying mine the metals needed. (think you have issue now... March in this indoctrinated direction for a decade or two...)

last ... for the simpler of us.. the people who look at a clock, read time and think because they can read time, they can build a clock. In reality, it's 6pm... and the so called expert it saying 4am.. and because most can't understand a how a clock works... think the clock is working and the expert is telling the truth.

HOW DARE YOU!!! lmao!
Last edited by Kong Bao Long on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you don't stop "Kong ZI
Kong Bao Long
Santi

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:31 pm

windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:38 pm

windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:00 pm

Last edited by Steve James on Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Kong Bao Long on Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:31 pm

windwalker wrote:

Planet of the Humans

You just didn't post up a video by Michal Moore... ? Did you? lol

No way Dude... I was born and raised in Flint Michigan.. I know people who know Michal Moore. I worked with two guys who work on the GM line with him. Moore is not the most accurate or unbiased guy... IUKWM...

At least this video addresses the issue of Green energy is not the solution.

IF CO2 is a cause of global warming.. (and I can't find anyone on the web saying CO2 or Humanity is the definite cause,) then we have a problem. (But no one in the media talks about the positives of a 2 degree cel rise. i.e. more crop yields, cheaper food stuffs, less people starving etc... I can find credible scientist and professors pointing to underwater volcanic activity and the Sun's solar cycle. Outside of all that.... all I find are Red Flags.. i.e. Politicians, controlled by the 1% (i.e. W.E.F.) scaring and indoctrinating people into thinking the doomsday is around the corner... and if we are to survive, we have to give up our freedom and established governments.

If the WEF is checked...

Like the video showing countless climate scary predictions.... nothing will happen. This decade will be hotter than the next, the decade after will be colder.. Global Mass transit will improve and Cold fusion energy will finally come on line ... the combustion engine will go the way steam engines & the world will move on.

If the W.E.F. isn't checked... the great awakening of 1776 is extinguished, the West get's turned goes all in on techno feudalism and our rights get defined by oligarchs, instead of being natural or unalienable.

Think the W.E.F. is the stuff of "Tin Foil Hat" conspiracy... Lol think I'm bombarding you guys now with information... don't get me started!
Kong Bao Long
Santi

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:51 pm

Kong Bao Long wrote:
You just didn't post up a video by Michal Moore... ? Did you? lol

No way Dude... I was born and raised in Flint Michigan.. I know people who know Michal Moore. I worked with two guys who work on the GM line with him. Moore is not the most accurate or unbiased guy... IUKWM...

At least this video addresses the issue of Green energy is not the solution.

:)

Moore's video presents an interesting viewpoint concerning green energy...
any perceived bias or misinformation, up to the viewer to discern...

Used to work in solar cell companies making solar cell wafers....
Not a very clean nor environmentally, benign industry.

Lol think I'm bombarding you guys now with information... don't get me started!

Be all means, continue it's very entertaining, so far nothing new.. :)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Kong Bao Long on Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:35 pm

Steve James wrote:Yeah, video or it never happened. :)

Ok James I’ll play… (I like this stuff... it's enlightening)

The largest Hurricane ever recorded happened in 1980… called Allen. You know when they started officially to measure and recording Hurricanes?

1979. yep… there is your delta! (see a problem?)

What was the second largest “supposedly?” Happened in 1935..called “Labor day”. How about after that? 1988 called Gilbert… Whooops… Bet you didn’t see that coming.

How about... Year with Largest amount of Hurricane activity? Well… 2020 is after they re-categorized subtropical storms into the mix, but what is the next year with largest amount? 2005 , how about the next? 2021, How about the next 1933.. (Hey what happened in 2022 and 2023?... I leave you to figure that out)

You see a pattern here? I do it’s called change, a climate in flux.

Ahh.. I see years ago brought up floods Hmmmm? Glad you did that?
What was the worst flood on record? The 1887 Yellow River flood. How about the next worst? 1931 China floods. How about next? 1938 Yellow River flood. Millions of people died from the floods caused by rains…(and poor civil engineering...but,, hey what's that? right? ) James... Not a lot of SUV’s parked in a lot of garages in 1930s. what caused those floods?

What happened in America in 1930s Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 kicked off The Dust Bowl, also known as “the Dirty Thirties,” started in 1930 and lasted for about a decade, its long-term economic impacts on the region lingered much longer. Severe drought hit the Midwest and southern Great Plains in 1930. Massive dust storms began in 1931… again James.... not a whole lot of Urban manufacturing or automation on the planet… what caused it? (poor civil engineering and old mother nature? Maybe ???

Now for my favorite… My Coup de Grace…
According to climate scientist .. starting 1300s to around 1850 CE the average global temperatures dropped by as much as 2°C (3.6°F), particularly in Europe and North America. Cooling happened in phases, with an initial drop around 1300 and an even colder climate starting around 1560 and lasting to 1850. (this is supposed to be a fact)

What year did the world officially start to record global temperature?
Answer 1880 (and this is suspect as hell… for another rant, and another day)

And from this… 1880 onward recording of global temp…

What are the coldest years on record?
Coldest years in recorded (since 1880) history: 1904 1909 1908 1917 1910 1911 1907 1903 1890 1912 1913 1887 1929 1916 1885 1886 1893 1894 1884 1902

Warmest years in recorded history,

In order: 2016 2017 2015 2018 2014 2010 2005 2013 2007 2009 1998 2002 2006 2012 2003 2011 2001 2004 2008 1997

Notice a pattern?
Earth’s temperature has risen by an average of 0.14° Fahrenheit (0.08° Celsius) per decade since 1880, or about 2° F in total. The rate of warming since 1981 is more than twice as fast: 0.32° F (0.18° C) per decade.

Back to… starting 1300 to around 1850 CE when average global temperatures dropped by as much as 2°C (3.6°F), particularly in Europe and North America. Cooling happened in phases, with an initial drop around 1300 and an even colder climate starting around 1560 and lasting to 1850.

when did they officially start tracking global temps

James... YOU SEE A TREND HERE?

My powers of observation and comprehension is seeing something .. Is it me or do we have a about a 1.3-1.6 degree F to go before we reach the global temp before the mini ice age? Na.... were all going to die! yep that's it.. lol
Last edited by Kong Bao Long on Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kong Bao Long
Santi

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:12 pm

Like i said, you can say there's no such thing as climate change. That's just semantics, and seems to follow an ideological belief about why people are concerned. Cool, but saying that you've never heard of any flooding means you haven't really looked or been affected. Anyway, you said it, and I posted videos from within this month of Unusual flooding on every continent, and on both coasts of the US. So, your argument is moot. Deny "climate change" because you don't agree with the green new deal, but that deal won't stop flooding or droughts.

Yeah, since 1880 and the Industrial age, global temperatures have risen. I guess that proves your point about patterns. But, it's cool if you're convinced there's nothing to worry about. But, the "where are the floods" comment is still funny.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic