On the net v In the joint

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

On the net v In the joint

Postby Steve James on Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:32 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: On the net v In the joint

Postby GrahamB on Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:51 pm

I've watched all 3 seasons twice now, will probably watch it all again at some point too. The writing, the acting the production... It's just so good.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:27 pm

I'm re-watching it for the second time. Btw, I just got through watching Justified, too. Ray and Raylan would be interesting together.:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:57 pm

Yep, watched and then rewatched a couple years later with family. Top-notch stuff; definitely one of my all-time favorites
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:52 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:25 am

Ray's a philosopher living in-between two worlds but using the same values. He shows he's not a psychopath by being genuinely empathetic with others ("Sorry mate, but I gotta..."). Nobody disagrees with Ray's violence, though. That's what makes the psychologist seem like the (passive aggressive) dickhead.

Did you ever watch Scott Ryan's original movie where he plays Ray? The Magician (2005). He wrote and directed it, and it won awards.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:32 am

I mean that's romantic and all, but realistically, dudes like that just use violence and intimidation to get what they want out of whoever it works on.

Even when they're obsessed about protecting the purity and innocence of children. Makes a great, socially acceptable excuse for their acts.

Then, sure, "it's for society" but they don't give a shit about society, they just care about getting what they want.

They should at least have the decency to make the police commit their violence and the banks assist in their robbery.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:30 am

Hi Steve - yes I've watched The Magician - very good as well. Pretty much the same as the later series.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:02 am

I mean that's romantic and all, but realistically, dudes like that just use violence and intimidation to get what they want out of whoever it works on.

Actually, in the show, Ray works as a hitman and strongman for other people in his crime world. He lives by the same rules. He thinks everyone should behave that way, but they don't because there are no consequences.

Afa violence, per se, I think all martial artists believe that violence is sometimes necessary. I don't think it's romantic; it's realistic. The only questions are when and why, imo.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:22 am

It's philosophical, innit.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:25 am

Steve James wrote:

Actually, in the show, Ray works as a hitman and strongman for other people in his crime world. He lives by the same rules. He thinks everyone should behave that way, but they don't because there are no consequences.

Like I said... romantic, not realistic. There is no honor among thieves and criminals. Rely on their ethics at your peril.

I'm not opposed to violence, but it's not the first tool to pull out of the box. Folks like this in reality it's pretty much the only hammer they have in a world full of what they see as nails.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:11 am

Well, it's a tv show. He's a character. In the show, maybe the point of it, is that he has two sides. He's not a "good guy," but because he has a consistent code of ethics, he's more trustworthy than many of the other characters. If he were simply a killer, the show/story wouldn't be interesting.

Afa ethics (philosophy), it's more realistic to acknowledge that police officers can be just as bad as "Rays." They bully people to get what they want. Ever watch The Shield? And, I mentioned Justified earlier. Deputy Marshall Raylan Givens also uses intimidation and threats, and doesn't hesitate to use violence.

Ray can be overly reactive when he feels disrespected. I grew up in BXNY and I know people who've gotten beaten up because they said or did something disrespectful. But, it's not really different from rural road rage, or customers going wild. Anyway, I'm not trying to justify violent people. Like I said, it has its time and place. There are plenty of ordinary people in jail because they were violent just once.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:34 pm

only started Justify: City Primeval.

Timothy Olyphant always gets cast as a "sheriff" or "marshall" but slightly maverick type, doesn't he? fun to watch him play the same role, though, so it makes sense. like him in The Mandalorian and Boba Fett, too.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:50 pm

Yeah, have you watched Deadwood (except maybe the final movie). You can see the character there.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:25 pm

Watched some of it but do not recall it well now
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic