soups or stews

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

soups or stews

Postby everything on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:55 am

starting to switch from bbq to stews with n. hemisphere fall weather. i only know a few usuals like gumbo, chili, curry chicken, 5 spice type of pork. all good, but probably need to add to the list.

what kind of stews do you like to make if you do or what would you want to cook/eat?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: soups or stews

Postby windwalker on Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:31 pm

Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Stew)

note: also said to be good for colds, flu, many other aliments....
burns them right out of you.... :)
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:13 am

I am trying to run a minimal waste kitchen so all leftover veg goes into soup. I use a hand blender to smooth things out once I have boiled it.
Last week I made a nice carrot and miso soup this way which was basically just boiled carrots blended together with a big spoonful of miso paste.
Best soup I have recently made that I remember was cream of roast vegetable (garlic, carrot, and potato I think they were)
Another good one is cheese rind minestrone, basically old cheese rinds go into vegetable minestrone- after boiling it for a bit then you leave it to stew on low heat for an hour or two and the cheese rind gives the soup a nice taste.
In terms of stew, I make a lot of curry when the weather is cold. Carrots, potatoes, onions, dice them up boil the carrots and potatoes in bullion 20 minutes add the onions in at the 10 minute mark, then add golden curry mix at the end and stew it a bit.
I made a nice tofu jjigae a week or two back also. Easy dish if you have the ingredients handy
Today's soup is tomato as it is dumping rain here at the moment
Last edited by vadaga on Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby meeks on Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:53 am

windwalker wrote:Image

Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Stew)

note: also said to be good for colds, flu, many other aliments....
burns them right out of you.... :)

that...looks....amazing...!
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby meeks on Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:00 am

over the last number of years I've been travelling to the Amazon and learning shamanic healing with plant medicines. One of the ways to learn about the plant is to go on a special food diet (unique for each plant) and connect with the plant (sometimes it's consumption, othertimes it's bathing only, other times it's smoking it 'gently', etc..). In any case almost all of the diets are 'no salt, no oil'. Two of the main ways of getting flavour to the tongue. I've found that if I boil potatoes, then blend them into the broth (making the broth creamy) that the flavour (with no salt) gets kicked up a LOT, I think because it coats the tongue more than a broth would.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Bao on Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:52 am

Kimchi soups are pretty easy to make, just mix and boil the ingredients. I prefer side pork or pork belly.

We often make Chinese hot pot when it gets colder. Sometimes we just boil everything together on the stove and put it on the table.

Chinese hot sour fish soup with preserved vegetables is also nice. You can buy kits with the soup base and vegetables in Chinese stores.

I also make a very simple soup quite often with chicken, corn (maize) and egg. I just boil one chicken breast, take it out and tear it finely. Then I whip 3 eggs together, pour it in. And the the chicken and corn and some salt, just let it boil up quickly and serve. I have together with rice and some preserved vegetables as a side dish. Very fresh and simple.

A simple noodle soup is made with wheat or rice noodles, chicken, tomato and Chinese cabbage. After it's served in a bowl, just add a little salt, soy sauce and chili oil or chili sauce.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:30 pm

these all sound delicious
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:49 am

When I make soups, I tend to use less meat and use vegetables of various 'therapeutic' benefits per the season (what is available)
while incorporating some of my tropical foodstuffs (guineo verde (green figs boiled and added to soup), cassava, shadobeni (cilantro?)
and more recently use of cabbage cooked with dhalpuri mixture) with the usual onions, various peppers (green, red) and curry to that menu.

Here is a sample soup/stew and it can be added to rice instead of meat!
Last edited by yeniseri on Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:42 pm

damn that red bean one looks amazing
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:46 pm

everything
Wuji

Postby Bob on Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:22 pm

Last edited by Bob on Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby gasmaster on Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:54 am

Mmm soup is good food. Here's one I just ate. Pretty fast and easy too.

Middle Eastern Lentil Soup
Middle Eastern Lentil Soup

Known in the Middle East as Chorbat el Ads, this is a 'cooks-itself', hearty, delicious soup.

Total : 50 min
Yield : Serves 6

Ingredients

1 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups of red/yellow lentils
8 cups of chicken/vegetable stock
1 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
Handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
Juice of half a lemon

Directions

Heat oil in a pan and gently fry the chopped onions for 5 minutes.

Add the chopped garlic, turmeric and cumin and continue cooking for a few minutes more.

Stir in the lentils, add the stock and cook for 35 minutes. Stir several times during cooking, especially towards the end, to prevent lentils from sticking to base of pan.

Toss in parsley, stir in lemon juice and leave to cook for 2-3 minutes more.

No blending is necessary unless you want it really smooth.

Serve with chunks of crusty bread.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/133070 ... entil-soup

* Shared with My Recipe Box App *
gasmaster
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic