moon is 40 million years older than we thought

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: moon is 40 million years older than we thought

Postby everything on Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:55 am

we have massive "recency bias" and "homo sapiens bias" so if it wasn't on tiktok last week, it doesn't exist. ;D :-\
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bill on Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:43 pm

Trick wrote:that moon samples show to be some 4.5 billion years shows just what to expect ? nothing really sensational.
but the samples the Chinese brought back from the never facing side to earth, that show to be at the young age of 2 billion years...that is interesting.

Maybe just tofu-dreg science?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:13 pm

Steve James wrote:
Dmitri wrote:I wonder if that might be because the "outside-facing" part of the surface gets hit with "new" material a lot more than the part facing the Earth (i.e. the planet protecting it from majority of newer matter "updates", so the side we see roughly reflects the time it formed, but the dark side is more "fresh")?

The moon only 'protects' the part of the Earth relative to its orbit. For ex., the moon would only cover 1 degree of the 360 degree arc of its orbit. Secondly, the moon is a quarter-million miles away, in linear space. The Earth is hit by material coming from all directions at all times (over the course of billions of years).

Not sure what you mean. My argument was that earth shields the moon, not the other way round. And mostly not due to it's larger size, but to it's far-superior gravitational pull - similar to the way Jupiter helps protect Earth.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:49 pm

Dmitri wrote:
Steve James wrote:
Dmitri wrote:I wonder if that might be because the "outside-facing" part of the surface gets hit with "new" material a lot more than the part facing the Earth (i.e. the planet protecting it from majority of newer matter "updates", so the side we see roughly reflects the time it formed, but the dark side is more "fresh")?

The moon only 'protects' the part of the Earth relative to its orbit. For ex., the moon would only cover 1 degree of the 360 degree arc of its orbit. Secondly, the moon is a quarter-million miles away, in linear space. The Earth is hit by material coming from all directions at all times (over the course of billions of years).

Not sure what you mean. My argument was that earth shields the moon, not the other way round. And mostly not due to it's larger size, but to it's far-superior gravitational pull - similar to the way Jupiter helps protect Earth.

yes you are right, its the bigger guys further out there that kind of protect us......
however, the moon as a shield is something the Chinese plan for, as in building a station on the far side so to more easily detect eventual threatening objects out there.....But the US is more threaten by the Chinese building a base on the moon...and the new space race is on
Last edited by Trick on Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:16 am

Bill wrote:
Trick wrote:that moon samples show to be some 4.5 billion years shows just what to expect ? nothing really sensational.
but the samples the Chinese brought back from the never facing side to earth, that show to be at the young age of 2 billion years...that is interesting.

Maybe just tofu-dreg science?

The moon is made of cheese, and I actually live in the hometown/birthplace of doufu, I know everything about it……
Trick
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:07 am

Ooops, sorry. I misread or misunderstood. Yes. The far side is older than the near side.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic