Street Fighter IV

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Street Fighter IV

Postby Joe L. on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Just picked it up tonight, played it the night it came out for a few hours..

Damn, if you have a ps3 or 360, you really can't go wrong with this game.

Anyone else have it and loving it?
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Re: Street Fighter IV

Postby I-mon on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 pm

when it comes to street fighter i'm a bit of an old-school purist. street fighter 3 was so shit with it's silly combos and annoying pastel colour-schemes...i'll look up SF4 now and see if it looks any better.

the last good street fighter version i played was ex+alpha.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:03 am

checking out streetfighter.com - this game looks awesome. they've gone back to the old ways!
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 am

I just got home from playing SF4 for a couple of hours. Kicked the hell out of everybody.lol

I loved it. It looks incredible but still manages to keep a classic feel to the mechanics. It goes back to the roots...no Alpha crap in here. Might feel between the EX and Super SF2.
Last edited by Josealb on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:16 am

I-mon wrote:when it comes to street fighter i'm a bit of an old-school purist. street fighter 3 was so shit with it's silly combos and annoying pastel colour-schemes...i'll look up SF4 now and see if it looks any better.

the last good street fighter version i played was ex+alpha.

I completely agree with you dude. But apart from the shite of SF3 and such, this game is amazing.

I don't exactly like though that they brought back Gouken (ryu and ken's master..) since almost everything I've seen or read has had Akuma (Gouki) defeat him. BUT, the footage I've seen of him is fucking grade A badass.

Look here:

Those are just too awesome to pass up trying to pull off.

Jose- Who were you playing as? I ask because some people (maybe including me? ;D ) feel that Ken is broken as all hell. He just seems to be able to pull off things, for newbs even, with such ease. Not to mention his usual ungodly speed. Maybe it was just me playing that fight night last week or something but man..
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:43 am

I'm ordering it from amazon. trying to find some fightsticks....
my name on PSN is nyefong I beleive. add me.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby I-mon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 am

yeah i never understood why ken got to be faster, once the versions came out with the flaming uppercuts and stuff.

i always liked ryu better but he was way slower than ken...maybe that was the point - you had to be better and play with a handicap if you still wanted to be cool and not gay like ken.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:36 pm

I-mon wrote:yeah i never understood why ken got to be faster, once the versions came out with the flaming uppercuts and stuff.

i always liked ryu better but he was way slower than ken...maybe that was the point - you had to be better and play with a handicap if you still wanted to be cool and not gay like ken.

Thank you kind sir. My sentiments exactly.

Fong- I should be back on live in March, I'll add you when I get it back up and running.
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:33 pm

I played Ken. ;D

Hes supposed to be faster, but Ryu is stronger and tougher. I did find some serious handycaps that screwed my game around..like he doesnt do the ground roll anymore, and does not axe kick (F + med kick) like he used to. Also, the dragon punch has a sick priority now...theres no way i could time a jump kick to a another ken standing up. Dragon punch got me every time.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Josealb wrote:I played Ken. ;D

Hes supposed to be faster, but Ryu is stronger and tougher. I did find some serious handycaps that screwed my game around..like he doesnt do the ground roll anymore, and does not axe kick (F + med kick) like he used to. Also, the dragon punch has a sick priority now...theres no way i could time a jump kick to a another ken standing up. Dragon punch got me every time.

Damn you! Now we must be enemies ;D

Yes, maybe its not so much his speed but his moves seem to have priority more often than not. Though I can thank that in part to unlocking characters quickly I suppose.

Just finished unlocking the rest of the characters (aside from Seth.. but he really isn't worth the effort at the moment). Gouken seriously rips shit up. Makes up for him somehow not being dead.
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 pm

yeah ryu is supposed to be stronger and tougher or something but i never noticed his moves doing any more damage than ken's, or that hits were doing less damage to him - i'm talking about the old versions of SF2 here. ken's greater speed was undeniable though, and his dragon punch moved forward more than ryu's as well which was way better.

basically it sucks that they give the gay american ken better moves than ryu, but luckily they came out with akuma who is more badass than both of them and has better moves than ken.

that gouken fella looks pretty dope. kind of like heihachi style but better moves.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:47 am

SF2 champion edition started to deviate more. then SF3 and SFzero, the differences btwn ken and ryu were very distinct.
ryu also has the awesome instep side kick in SF3. did good damage plus knockdown.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:14 am

oh god, I'm so addicted. I finally unlocked gouken earlier this week, and OMG does he fucking rock. I'm getting in the groove with him now. he's got a low and high counter that are both amazingly useful. Combined with his fireball mastery, and his anti-air tatsumaki, and the palm strike for comboing, the guy is a serious force to reckon with.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Joe L. on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:33 am

Its no wonder he is banned outright from play, with I believe Seth (who ended up not really being worth it in the end IMO).

Now if I could only just stop sucking so much and be able to pull of anything with Akuma, I'd be a happy man.
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:18 pm

oh really? I didn't know he was banned outright... only last night did I start realizing his full potential--I beat this one guy with him, and then he came back and chose him, and then I wrecked him with Abel haha. the counters don't work against a thrower...bahaha

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Next

Return to Off the Topic