Canadian Becapitation Update--Insanity Plea

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Canadian Becapitation Update--Insanity Plea

Postby klonk on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:04 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (AP) - A man accused of beheading and cannibalizing a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus in Canada apologized to police when he was arrested and begged officers to kill him. The details emerged Tuesday as Vince Li pleaded not guilty at the start of his murder trial.

[...]
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Canadian Becapitation Update--Insanity Plea

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:47 am

Fuck him.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm

i think he's pretty much fucked anyway.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:21 pm

This case seems to me to have overtones of demonic activity, as this has been described in various times and cultures. Am I mistaken to see a resemblance?
Last edited by klonk on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:27 am

They need to send him to one of those Polynesian tribes as a dinner... ;) :-X
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Iskendar on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:52 am

Well, personally I'd be more surprised if the dude actually WAS sane.
I.
Iskendar
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:18 am

The guy is a schizophrenic. He experienced an event and consequently carried out the killing.

It takes a little to wrap ones head around that and to consider it carefully.
It is interestin to note a couple of things.

Like why was Li wandering about getting on buses and travelling across country? IE: why is it that schizophrenics can just wander about freely when they need to be on their meds and supervised?

If anything, this is reflective of a piss poor mental health system , which I know is the greater problem at hand here.
Li did it, but he's not necessarily responsible for intention seeing as he is crazy.

Mental health gets such a back shelf in the public view that Li will never get help for his craziness and will spend his life in a super max tucked away and the problem is forgotten.

People equating mental health issues to religious situations is a HUGE step backwards by the way. just sayin...
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:59 pm

This just in: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (AP) - A Canadian judge ruled Thursday that a man accused of beheading and cannibalizing a fellow Greyhound bus passenger is not criminally responsible due to mental illness. [...]

He will be institutionalized without a criminal record and will be reassessed every year by a mental health review board to determine if he is fit for release into the community. [...]
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:10 pm

I hope that he stays there until he's too old and weak to lift a knife.

From a religious point of view, I am no expert in this matters but a friend of mine who is an imam told me that in general (there are always exceptions, as he participated in a few exorcisms) demons at most manage to try to influence someone's mood or inclinations as tipping them one way or another. Nothing particularly spectacular and that you cannot fight with a strong will.

Now, it also depends what do you mean by demons: outside entities or inner psychological processes.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby gosao on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:03 pm

The problem with some of these schizophrenics especially the paranoid delusional types is that due to their paranoid state they tend to avoid anyone including family members that try to help them. Thinking that they're all part of the conspiracy to get him. Sometimes you can't even get these folks checked in for an evaluation if the crazy guy doesn't think he's crazy and instead thinks everyone else is. There's only so much family friends and the 'system' can do for folks who won't trust anyone and doesn't think they need help.

A very a similar thing happened not too long ago in SF where a random crazy almost decapitated another guy.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... =printable

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:The guy is a schizophrenic. He experienced an event and consequently carried out the killing.

It takes a little to wrap ones head around that and to consider it carefully.
It is interestin to note a couple of things.

Like why was Li wandering about getting on buses and travelling across country? IE: why is it that schizophrenics can just wander about freely when they need to be on their meds and supervised?

If anything, this is reflective of a piss poor mental health system , which I know is the greater problem at hand here.
Li did it, but he's not necessarily responsible for intention seeing as he is crazy.

Mental health gets such a back shelf in the public view that Li will never get help for his craziness and will spend his life in a super max tucked away and the problem is forgotten.

People equating mental health issues to religious situations is a HUGE step backwards by the way. just sayin...
gosao
Huajing

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:09 pm

klonk wrote:This case seems to me to have overtones of demonic activity, as this has been described in various times and cultures. Am I mistaken to see a resemblance?

I think you're right. Demonic possession occurs when the person in question is highly passive in terms of his will and open to such things in some form or another. In any case, I've always felt actions such as these were not just simple imbalances in the brain's chemistry.
Last edited by Chris Fleming on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Fleming

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:24 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by Michael on Tue May 29, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:44 am

I have always thought that IF there is Demons, then the whole scientific approach to mental health has got to make them all giddy inside.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby klonk on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:43 am

I don't doubt that there are disorders that are brain disease and nothing else. It would be unwise and unfortunate to mistake those cases for demonic activity. On the other hand there are some instances in which the conventional mental health understanding does not appear to explain everything.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 am

xxxxxxx
Last edited by Michael on Tue May 29, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Next

Return to Off the Topic