Dubya-the rats are not just leaving....

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Dubya-the rats are not just leaving....

Postby kenneth delves on Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 pm

Former Aide McClellan Blames Bush, Rove in CIA Case (Update3)

By Holly Rosenkrantz and Ken Fireman

Nov. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Former White House press secretary Scott McClellan writes in a memoir that he unintentionally misled the public about the leak of a CIA operative's name because of misinformation given to him by President George W. Bush, political adviser Karl Rove and other top officials.

A three-paragraph excerpt from the book released today by the publisher doesn't give details of what the president told McClellan. The case eventually led to the indictment and conviction of Lewis ``Scooter'' Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice.

``I stood at the White House briefing room podium in front of the glare of the klieg lights for the better part of two weeks and publicly exonerated two of the senior most aides in the White House: Karl Rove and Scooter Libby,'' McClellan, 39, wrote. ``There was one problem. It was not true.''

McClellan wrote that he ``unknowingly passed along false information. And five of the highest-ranking officials in the administration were involved in my doing so: Rove, Libby, the vice president, the president's chief of staff, and the president himself.''

White House Response

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said last night that the president ``has not and would not ask anyone to pass on false information.'' She directed reporters to call McClellan, saying he believes the excerpts were taken ``out of context.''

McClellan didn't return a phone call and an e-mail requesting comment.

McClellan doesn't suggest that Bush deliberately lied to him about Libby's and Rove's involvement in the leak, said Peter Osnos, founder and editor-in-chief of Public Affairs Books, which is publishing McClellan's memoir next year.

``He told him something that wasn't true, but the president didn't know it wasn't true,'' Osnos said in a telephone interview. ``The president told him what he thought to be the case.''

In an interview with CNN in March, McClellan said he had said what he ``believed to be true at the time'' and ``it was also what the president believed to be true at the time, based on assurances that we were both given.''

He said he spoke directly with Rove and Libby. Referring to press briefings he gave in 2003 denying Rove and Libby's involvement, McClellan told CNN: ``Knowing what I know today, I would have never said that back then.''

Conviction

A jury found that Libby lied to thwart the investigation into whether the Bush administration deliberately identified Central Intelligence Agency operative Valerie Plame to journalists in 2003 to retaliate against her husband, Joseph Wilson.

Wilson was a critic of Bush's decision to invade Iraq, and in a July 6, 2003, column in the New York Times he accused the administration of ``twisting'' intelligence to justify a war.

On July 14, syndicated columnist Robert Novak identified Wilson's wife as a CIA operative, citing ``two senior administration officials.'' That sparked an investigation by a federal prosecutor at the request of the CIA.

While Rove was questioned during the probe of the leak, he was never charged. Testimony during Libby's trial revealed that he discussed Plame's employment with the CIA with reporters.
the sinking ship, they're squealing[if it wasnt such a tragedy it would be comic-I wonder if anyone will put it on Broadway]

Rove, a longtime adviser to Bush and the architect of his two successful presidential campaigns, resigned from the administration last August.

In July, Bush commuted Libby's 30-month prison sentence while letting his conviction stand.

McClellan's memoir, ``What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and What's Wrong With Washington'' is scheduled for release in April 2008 by New York-based Public Affairs Books.

McClellan, who followed Bush from Texas to the White House, was press secretary from July 2003 to April 2006.

To contact the reporter on this story: Ken Fireman in Washington at [email protected]; Holly Rosenkrantz in Washington at [email protected];
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Re: Dubya-the rats are not just leaving....

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed May 28, 2008 5:38 pm

yeah, this is pretty standard fare at the Bush whitehouse unfortunately.
That admin goes through press spokesmen faster than I go through socks.

Many people have buckled out of that cabinet because of the lies and shit.
Colin POwell was the huge one. here's a guy who lives to serve and with this president he took the earliest possible chance to get the fuck out that he could.
He would've staid if someone else had been elected I am sure of it because I believe that fundamentally, Powell is of good character and jusyt couldn't handle running with teh devil anymore.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed May 28, 2008 8:20 pm

``He told him something that wasn't true, but the president didn't know it wasn't true,'' ... ``The president told him what he thought to be the case.''

In an interview with CNN in March, McClellan said he had said what he ``believed to be true at the time'' and ``it was also what the president believed to be true at the time, based on assurances that we were both given.''

bullshit.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Thu May 29, 2008 7:01 am

Hey, I'm still holding out for a Bush/Cheney impeachment, which would let us have Nancy Pelosi as the acting president until Obama takes over.

I know it's not going to happen, but it's a dream I continue to encourage for some reason. Dennis Kuccinich, two years ago, was the only guy with enough manhood to propose it in Congress. We need more honest men like Kuccinch and his left leaning ilk to counter balance all the neo-con right-wingnut propaganda and criminality.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 8:04 am

yeah except Dennis Kuccinich is basically a representation of the alter ego of the bush cheney admin. IE: he's a left wing nut job.

the moderate slightly right of center is what you want at the helm in america.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:yeah except Dennis Kuccinich is basically a representation of the alter ego of the bush cheney admin. IE: he's a left wing nut job.

the moderate slightly right of center is what you want at the helm in america.

Candidates who strive to appease the moderate center, but really are far right or far left, i.e. McBush/Obama, are basically pandering to the American public, which really means they don't have enough colyones to stand for what they "really" believe in. I do realize that's how elections get won these days, but we've now gone so far right past the moderate center, we are almost fascist!

We are so far right wingnut now (for example: no more habeas-corpus, gitmo (military sex-predators), healthcare-for-profit, war-for-profit, attacking countries illegally and unprovocked, kidnapping immigrant parents, and leaving their kids stranded, corporations and lobbyists running Washington, outsourcing the American economy so shareholders can make a few bucks more, destroying our oceans, sea-life, and polluting our air, food, and drinking water, etc.), that we need real liberals like Obama/Kuccinich/Edwards/Kennedy to take us BACK TOWARDS THE MIDDLE. Even though Obama is very left of the center, in the end, he can only pull us back so far towards the middle (at least in his eight years in the White House), so I really believe we need someone EXTREMELY left/liberal minded who can put the country back on track. Let's get back to the center first, before we get ahead of ourselves here. :)
Last edited by steelincotton on Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Return to Off the Topic