English-Only Workplace Policies Trigger Lawsuits

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

English-Only Workplace Policies Trigger Lawsuits

Postby Dmitri on Thu May 29, 2008 5:57 am

Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: English-Only Workplace Policies Trigger Lawsuits

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu May 29, 2008 6:50 am

I don't see anything wrong with english only policies. You come to america learn our f-ing language, don't expect us to pander to you.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Thu May 29, 2008 7:33 am

Same here. >:(
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 7:44 am

I don't see anything wrong with serving people in the language of their choice if youare able to do so.

"Only" policies are restrictive, discriminatory and narrow in view.

Yes, people acn assimilate into the language, but what is the language? It's changing. YOu are going to have a latin speaking majority in 20 years or so, you may as well prepare for that now. Americas dominant language will eventually be a bilingual soup of spanish and english.

many americans don't speak english anyways so much as they speak "americanese". Which is quickly becoming some sort of a patois like thing.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu May 29, 2008 7:48 am

But like Quebec, a country can protect it's culture, if it perceives it under "danger". I am a bit split over this one.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 am

That's a good point Teo.

But Canada is Bilingual and the French population is a recognized distinct society by the federal government with all sorts of protections and even whole different laws under the provincial system.

Quebec is very different and this distinct society idea is about to be extended further to first nations people who in my opinion need the most help and protection to save their languages and cultures. More so than the Quebecois in fact who have the ball rolling already and are very strong.

I just think that terms like "only" are prejudiced from teh onset and aren't healthy, are exclusionary and in a free and democratic society, there shouldn't be exclusionary measures. these are the marks of fascist ideals.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 8:01 am

Not to mention, I love the variety of signage in downtown Toronto. Every Language you can imagine without restrictions!

Toronto is often the example of what a true multicultural society looks like. It's it's own world within a world and there aren't ,many if any cities that are truly as diverse on this planet.

Diversity is a huge stumbling block for many countries. Entire nations have difficulty putting away their prejudice and hate. So you can imagine how difficult it is to be forward thinking in some places around the world.

More restrictive policies is not good. Leads to fascism and it's a slippery slope after that.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu May 29, 2008 8:06 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:I don't see anything wrong with serving people in the language of their choice if youare able to do so.

"Only" policies are restrictive, discriminatory and narrow in view.

Yes, people acn assimilate into the language, but what is the language? It's changing. YOu are going to have a latin speaking majority in 20 years or so, you may as well prepare for that now. Americas dominant language will eventually be a bilingual soup of spanish and english.

many americans don't speak english anyways so much as they speak "americanese". Which is quickly becoming some sort of a patois like thing.

The only reason we might have a latin speaking majority is because the bastads think they can walk in our country and take advantage of the bleeding heart idiots. Immigration has always been restricted and it should be. The illegals need kicked out. I am also all for changing the law so a child of an illegal immigrant born in the US does not gain automatic citizenship either. Legal immigration is great. Illegal immigration is the opposite of great, terrible actually. I work in the roofing industry. We employ a lot of immigrants and I have worked with many. They are almost always great people and fun to work with. However if they are illegal then they need to go back and go through the system to immigrate.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 am

immigration is a different subject.

we are talking about policies that have to do with what language is spoken and forcing people to speak a language when you shouldn't force anyone to speak a language.

were you forced? no, you learned gradually and came to be communicative.
When in other countries I do my very best to use their language of course. That will open more doors for you than demanding someone speak english.

making demands forms resentments more than it gets anything done.

Anyway, if it is a reaction to immigration failures in the states, then it is inappropriate and actually spiteful, which breeds hate, which breeds unrest, which takes peace and freedom away.

Let people speak what they feel like speaking.

Jeez, half the kids these days and their street lingo is an alien language to their grandparents, what's the difference? At least spanish is a full and beautiful language.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu May 29, 2008 8:15 am

Yeah, I agree with the restrictive policies. I also believe in multiculturalism but not everybody is ready for it (host societies as well as minorities).
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 am

well. thankfully we live in Canada!

All we gotta do is get Harper and his goon squad out of office and try and find a replacement for the wet noodle at the head of the lib party and we're back on solid ground.

Bush Jr in Ottawa is getting on my nerves these days. It's really crappy when your choices are so shitty. lol
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 am

Yeah, I know. I don't even read the news nowadays. I get too angry.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Thu May 29, 2008 11:06 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I don't see anything wrong with english only policies. You come to america learn our f-ing language, don't expect us to pander to you.

Exactly
8-)
MikeC

Postby JessOBrien on Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:The only reason we might have a latin speaking majority is because the bastads think they can walk in our country and take advantage of the bleeding heart idiots. Immigration has always been restricted and it should be.

Deus you are wrong, California's original constitution mandated that the state was to be bilingual from the start. It was part of the fact that this was Mexico before USA took it over.

Although that law was ignored along with many other important ones, it shouldn't have been. California is a bilingual state, and always has been, you might has well get used to it.

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 11:54 am

MikeC wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:I don't see anything wrong with english only policies. You come to america learn our f-ing language, don't expect us to pander to you.

Exactly
8-)

Not sure america's language is english. There's never been a constitutional thing about english and ttbomk there has never been any thing in the founding fathers papers regarding language or god or any of that stuff that somehow has weasled it's way into peoples thinking.

even "one nation under god" was put in in the 50's and there was no reference to religion prior to that in the constitution or the DOI.

America is failing hard on the separation of religion and state especially with the right who figures evangelicals are a good base. lol. go figure. At best, they seem to be an intolerant lot who want to tell you how to act, think and speak while in america.

when you force someone, you are no longer able to say that you are free or that you represent free.

freedom is for everyone, not just english speaking peoples.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic