Georgia guidestones

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Georgia guidestones

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:55 am

Steve James wrote:From Swift's "Proposal"

”I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...”

As to my own part, having turned my thoughts for many years upon this important subject, and maturely weighed the several schemes of other projectors, I have always found them grossly mistaken in the computation. It is true, a child just dropped from its dam may be supported by her milk for a solar year, with little other nourishment; at most not above the value of 2s., which the mother may certainly get, or the value in scraps, by her lawful occupation of begging; and it is exactly at one year old that I propose to provide for them in such a manner as instead of being a charge upon their parents or the parish, or wanting food and raiment for the rest of their lives, they shall on the contrary contribute to the feeding, and partly to the clothing, of many thousands.

There is likewise another great advantage in my scheme, that it will prevent those voluntary abortions, and that horrid practice of women murdering their bastard children, alas! too frequent among us! sacrificing the poor innocent babes I doubt more to avoid the expense than the shame, which would move tears and pity in the most savage and inhuman breast.

Swift's proposal was pure satire. It has been quoted way out of context before though. It was in regards to how the english treated the Irish.

Michael, I wonder what your grandparents thought about the world in 1939?

Reiteration of sound bytes without full context is alarmism. So if it's you, or a newspaper, then it's alarmist, if Gordon Brown's speech is taken in context, there is no call for extermination and all of that is supposition on either your part or the writers part.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:13 am

Swift's proposal was pure satire.

No. Who'd a thunk it.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:44 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Michael, I wonder what your grandparents thought about the world in 1939?

Don't know. I guess since the world didn't come to an end following the death of 50-100 million people, then in retrospect, they and anyone else who panicked was just an alarmist.

Reiteration of sound bytes without full context is alarmism. So if it's you, or a newspaper, then it's alarmist, if Gordon Brown's speech is taken in context, there is no call for extermination and all of that is supposition on either your part or the writers part.

Can you suggest an alternate interpretation?
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:48 am

Yeah, I read A Modest Proposal a long time ago. Re-reading it today.

In China, selling children is pretty run-of-the-mill. Eating babies in Guangdong is talked about. I've seen pictures. Talked to a guy who says he was there to take the photos before the meal. Truth is stranger than fiction or even satire.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Splicing this post from the "Deadly Flu Pandemic" thread as I think it's better over here.

Steve James wrote:
So why so skeptical about a current genocide?

Because it's not genocide; it might be deliberate mass homicide (though I doubt it), but it's not part of some global eugenic master plan. Well, unless the Chinese are behind it. I'd buy a capitalist world plot, but capitalists wouldn't want to kill off all the workforce. But, if there's a genocide going on, I don't know which race is trying to kill off the other --though there are plenty of people who'd say they did.

Haven't read this book, but here's a quote with my added emphasis. It's genocide of the rulers against the ruled.

"Gradually, by selective breeding, the congenital differences between rulers and ruled will increase until they become almost different species. A revolt of the plebs would become as unthinkable as an organized insurrection of sheep against the practice of eating mutton."
— Bertrand Russell, "The Impact of Science on Society", 1953, pg 49-50
Michael

Postby I-mon on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:45 pm

that's going to happen for sure in the next few decades. genomics and embryo selection, organ replacement, etc. It's not all bad.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:00 pm

They rationalize it as a money decision, but whatever, we spend enough money per capita to have it.
Last edited by Michael on Wed May 30, 2018 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Previous

Return to Off the Topic