Buddha Boy?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Buddha Boy?

Postby Overlord on Sun May 10, 2009 6:46 am

http://www.paldendorje.com/

Just heard that from a friend during a Buddha function today...wow..sai.... :)

Over
Overlord

Re: Buddha Boy?

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun May 10, 2009 9:37 am

Yes he is an interesting person!

One more in a line of exemplary individuals on earth.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sun May 10, 2009 6:23 pm

those arm muscles are pretty developed for someone who did not eat for so long :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Mon May 11, 2009 4:32 am

Strange wrote:those arm muscles are pretty developed for someone who did not eat for so long :)

This is what intrigue me. He supposes to get really emaciated and cracking- dehydrated- skin- like what Buddha did about 2500 years ago. Keep in mind, we Buddhists do not deny wonder or miracles, but Buddha forbids the practice and performance of miracles. It just does not get you to enlightenment. So I put a question mark there.

Over
Overlord

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 11, 2009 4:34 am

Maybe he works out in his spare time?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon May 11, 2009 5:15 am

Buddha guatama lived the life of an aesetic for 6 years.

Buddha boy is not living as an aesetic, he is in a state of severe meditation.

these two states of being are entirely different.

There are other sadhu or holy men who have sat in tapas for extended periods without food or drink.

This man is remarkable in that he has been doing it for 3 years now.
What he serves as is an example that not everything is as we think it may be and not all things in the world that are given as veritas necessarily are.

Frankly I am thankful that someone like this comes along now and then to jar our thinking and senses about what it is to be human.
Can you imagine what it would be like if we lived only in a bleak world of hand to mouth survival with the weak serving the strong and that was all there is?

People like this offer a different path to follow and all strength to those who will break from their own petty desires to do so.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 am

I have to wonder what the real purpose of this demonstration is? If it is simply to demonstrate a mastery of yoga and meditation, then some degree of ego attachment appears evident, which would seem incongruent with this level of physical skill and spiritual development, and thus unlikely, IMO.

Some may say that this extended state of suspended animation in deep meditation reflects the achievement of Nirvikalpa Samadhi, a meditative state of spiritual ecstasy totally absorbed in the Divine, at One with God, beyond form and without change over a period of time, Absolute Divine Consciousness. Typically, however, this meditative state usually lasts only 21 days, although some have extended it to 40 days or longer, after which there is no return to lower states of normal consciousness, and the body is then freely and finally abandoned in Complete Enlightenment.

Image Image

As such, an argument could be made that an extended meditative trance of several years doesn't represent a Nirvikalpa Samadhi trance, but instead indicates a Sahaja Samadhi trance in which one remains in the primal, pure, natural state without effort, while simultaneously retaining full possession of a human body and faculties.

In any case, why would one who has conquered the duality of spirit and matter in becoming totally absorbed in Divine Spirit wish to maintain a physical body? In the past, some advanced spiritual aspirants like my own Guru, the late Swami Narayanananda, have chosen to consciously remain in their body for some time out of compassion for mankind, to guide and instruct others even after achieving Nirvikalpa Samadhi. In the case of this young man, however, no direct teaching or spiritual guidance is likely as long as he remains in this meditative state of suspended animation with no movement, no eating, no drinking, no waste elimination, no talking, no conscious engagement with others of any kind. :o

So again, I question how sitting for so long benefits either himself or anyone else? ???

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon May 11, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Buddha guatama lived the life of an aesetic for 6 years.

Buddha boy is not living as an aesetic, he is in a state of severe meditation.

these two states of being are entirely different.

Sorry Darth....but what do you mean by "severe meditation"....must be very painful.( Ignore me) ;D

Guess the first save-the-world task he needs to perform is to help the countless famine refugees. Secondly, if not the most importantly, help ex-president Chen Shuibian in Taiwan, who currently is jailed without any sentence and verdict, and on hunger strike. ;D ha ha ...
Like i said, there is a difference between miracle (or ability) and enlightenment, ability changes with time, physical and mental condition (like he is grown up now and surely will age)...enlightenment is like once you have found it...you will realize it neither raise nor cease.... ;D Chinese like called it Yuanjue (Perfect enlightenment) or Yuantong (Perfect freedom).

Over
Last edited by Overlord on Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overlord

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon May 11, 2009 8:24 am

Why should we burden buddha boy with taking care of famine? Or amy of the problems WE create as a species?
Why don't we collectively take care of it ourselves, surely it would make the task bearable by all?

Secondly, I don't believe it was the ram who brought attention to himself, it was the villagers who did this and once earlier had caused him to retreat further into the forest.

I think it is incorrect to demand that someone with a higher consciousness clean up our diapers for us...if you will.

Also, as an aside, to Doc, this bears directly on my question of recognizing and believing should a prophet come among us or a divine incarnation. would we believe it? would we see it? Or would we deny it as fakery because it would essentially be a call to us to act and to use our own resources and determinations to correct our own iniquities, which is an arduous task to say the least.

Ram is making us look at the worst side of ourselves, perhaps that is all that is needed? We either continue to function as we have been , or we start to make progress towards healing the eroded spirituality of humanity in general with prejudice, without doctrine or dogmatic thought.

a call to do the right thing is one of the hardest to answer.

in my opinion. :)
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon May 11, 2009 8:37 am

Overlord wrote:He supposes to get really emaciated and cracking- dehydrated- skin- like what Buddha did about 2500 years ago.

But this isn't 2500 years ago anymore... now we have moisturizers.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 am

LOL
;D
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon May 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Also, as an aside, to Doc, this bears directly on my question of recognizing and believing should a prophet come among us or a divine incarnation. would we believe it?

Would we believe it? Sadly, for a great many people, the answer is...apparently not! :(

"Who has believed our report? And to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? We turned our faces away from him. We despised him and we esteemed him not. But he was wounded for our transgressions, and he was bruised for our iniquities. All we like sheep have gone astray. We have turned every one to his own way, and the Lord has laid upon him the iniquity of us all." Isa.53:1-6

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Mon May 11, 2009 2:56 pm

If Buddha Boy claims, that he didn't eat and drink for more than three years now, then he is a fraud. You guys really surprise me from time to time.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon May 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Strange wrote:those arm muscles are pretty developed for someone who did not eat for so long :)

True dat. I'll bet he goes to 24 Hour Fitness after meditating, and then on to Texas Land and Cattle for a nice steak dinner. ;D
Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon May 11, 2009 3:53 pm

cdobe -

ram claims nothing.
it is documented on film and by many witnesses that indeed he has not eaten or had drink.

it is quite amazinhg and quite baffling and above that, it is not the first case.

weird eh?
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic