3-D Flower illusion

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

3-D Flower illusion

Postby Bill on Fri May 15, 2009 8:43 am

Stare at the pic and cross your eyes until you see one in the middle then stare at the middle one. The f;lower will appear to be in 3-D.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: 3-D Flower illusion

Postby middleway on Fri May 15, 2009 8:48 am

yikes! cool!
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Teazer on Fri May 15, 2009 8:57 am

nice
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri May 15, 2009 9:28 am

I've been playing with this since childhood... I would draw two simple pictures side by side (e.g. hollow cubes) and play with various perspective ratios, placing dots at the back, front, "outside" the cube, etc. Later experimented a little with taking "paired" pictures of an object from about a foot apart (left-right.)
They didn't look as clean as this lily of course but the 3D-ness of them was quite obvious.

I really wish this technology would become mainstream, and would also be applied to video, replacing the stupid "3-d glasses" idea.
With proper distance from the source and appropriate size of the image/video, this approach is 100% natural (unlike polarized glasses) and would NOT tire the eyes. With a little bit of training/conditioning anyone could enjoy TRUE and natural 3-D instead of the polarized surrogate currently on the market.

Oh well, I'll just keep dreaming.

Thanks for posting it Bill; it's beautiful.
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri May 15, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Fri May 15, 2009 3:28 pm

that's cool--can anyone else relax their eyes once the 3d effect has been achieved and not lose the 3d image?
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Fri May 15, 2009 3:33 pm

Dmitri, I think they do have it. Our eyes are roughly 15degrees apart so they set 2 IMAX cameras 15 degrees apart and film the same scene, then you wear glasses that have l.e.d black outs on each eye which are synced up with a inaudible radio signal in the film that tells which eye to black out as the 2 spliced films are ran through the projector alternating 30 times a second or so. I don't know if that technology proved cost-effective though.

It's just like the old stereoscopic glasses from the 1800's.
Last edited by D_Glenn on Fri May 15, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri May 15, 2009 4:01 pm

Wow... didn't know that. That's cool, although the method itself it's a little bit different (and a lot more "artificial" and involved). This one's a LOT cheaper; all you need is two conjoined/synchronized cameras (or one if split optically properly.)

Here's one example:
http://www.ledametrix.com/

He's got a lot of samples...

If you get far away from the screen, you can REALLY let your eyes relax and view without any strain whatsoever... It's like a window into some parallel universe or something. :)

There's absolutely NO COMPARISON in quality between this method and anything else out there, IMO.

qiphlow, yeah of course, you can scan around the image easily, all in full focus.
I dunno maybe it's not everybody, but it seems a LOT easier to achieve than the reverse of that, the much-wider-spread autostereogram.
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri May 15, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Sat May 16, 2009 9:34 am

d,
i learned the trick of relaxing the eyes from looking at those autostereograms. and i do find it easier with the types of imges on the thread here.
trippy stuff!
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm

That's good to know! I've always had a hard time with those other things... And image quality is also worse there, right? Here you can get whatever resolution you can get on a photo -- just get two of them, and - voila, but that other technology I think might be a bit restrictive in that area... (just a speculation though, I don't really know for sure.)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Sat May 16, 2009 6:22 pm

I had one of these 3d viewers that worked pretty much the same & didn't get eyestrain. For the size of photo it was great quality.
http://www.3dstereo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=COM-SHELLY

If the cost of 3d computer visors comes down, it'd be great if movies ended up being filmed stereoscopically again. The blue/red goggles were crap, but if the images are presented directly to each eye, it should be excellent.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Sun May 17, 2009 8:14 am

disney's got some really good 3d going on with their films. you still have to use glasses, though.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic