Boy Scout Explorers Trained to Kill Veterans/Terrorists

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Boy Scout Explorers Trained to Kill Veterans/Terrorists

Postby Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 4:26 am

Last edited by Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Re: Boy Scout Explorers Trained to Kill Veterans/Terrorists

Postby Ian on Sat May 16, 2009 4:43 am

and this is taking place in texas? this comes as a surprise to me.
Ian

Postby Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 5:12 am

It's taking place all over the USA and has been for years. The current NY Times article featured a location in Imperial, California, some border town.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sat May 16, 2009 6:14 am

The current NY Times article said nothing about vets, either.
The "infowars" piece makes the connection to the Hitler Youth. That's probably where you read it first, and the connection it makes ... i.e., 'Boy Scout Explorers Trained to Kill Veterans." Yeah, you qualify it with "Explorers" --which I'm sure almost no one has ever heard of or knows that they are affiliated with the BSofA-- and the /Terrorists --which makes it seems like that is what they are being trained to "kill" ordinary citizens.

It's not the "facts"; it's the way they are worded and selected solely to sensationalize the argument. Of course, it won't really matter what was actually written in the Times report; since Infowars has called the Scouts the new Hitler Youth. Makes me want to go back and see what's happening in Troop 98. Any other former Scouts out there?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat May 16, 2009 6:20 am

I was an Explorer during my High School years in the mid-1960's, after completing the regular Boy Scouts of America Program as an Eagle Scout.

Although the training specifically outlined in the article was not in affect at that time, I can say that it was an easy transition even then to go from the Explorers to the United States Marine Corps. Apparently, this is still true today.

"Be prepared" (BSA) quickly became "Semper Fidelis" (USMC)....no problem! ;)

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat May 16, 2009 6:30 am

Doc, do you think they're training Scouts to be killers or to kill vets?

This is just to pump the Scouts.

Scout Oath (or Promise)

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law

TRUSTWORTHY
A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.

LOYAL
A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.

HELPFUL
A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.

FRIENDLY
A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.

COURTEOUS
A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.

KIND
A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.

OBEDIENT
A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.

CHEERFUL
A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

THRIFTY
A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

BRAVE
A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.

CLEAN
A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.

REVERENT
A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Scout Motto: Be Prepared

Scout Slogan: Do a Good Turn Daily
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 6:33 am

Steve James wrote:The current NY Times article said nothing about vets, either.
The "infowars" piece makes the connection to the Hitler Youth. That's probably where you read it first, and the connection it makes ... i.e., 'Boy Scout Explorers Trained to Kill Veterans." Yeah, you qualify it with "Explorers" --which I'm sure almost no one has ever heard of or knows that they are affiliated with the BSofA-- and the /Terrorists --which makes it seems like that is what they are being trained to "kill" ordinary citizens.

It's not the "facts"; it's the way they are worded and selected solely to sensationalize the argument. Of course, it won't really matter what was actually written in the Times report; since Infowars has called the Scouts the new Hitler Youth. Makes me want to go back and see what's happening in Troop 98. Any other former Scouts out there?

First paragraph of the NY Times piece, at least in my browser window LOL
a disgruntled Iraq war veteran,
Michael

Postby Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 6:42 am

Doc Stier wrote:I was an Explorer during my High School years in the mid-1960's, after completing the regular Boy Scouts of America Program as an Eagle Scout.

Doc

I think I could have predicted that if Doc joined the Scouts, he would make Eagle. ;D Very cool. I was in the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts for a few years and made it up to First Class Scout, IIRC. For me it was mostly a social opportunity and camping club that I enjoyed very much until I went to Boy Scout summer camp at age 13. Even then, I was turned off by the Boy Scouts version of a "secret society", The Order of the Arrow, when certain boys were secretly chosen to be initiated and all the Scouts in the camp, several hundred at least, had to walk in total silence for about an hour to the initiation. One kid dared open his mouth and was promptly knocked over by one of our suddenly maniacal Scout leaders, who was always just a regular dad in my eyes up til then. That was it for me! I can learn how to tie knots on my own, thanks.

I still get kinda agitated recalling the scene of that man knocking into a pretty small boy just 'cause he spoke. He didn't strike him, he violently bumped like a baseball team manager bumping guts with an umpire, but he was a full grown man and the kid was half his size. He also had this freaky scowl on his face like an orthodoxy enforcer and grunted like some kind of barnyard animal when he did it.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sat May 16, 2009 6:53 am

Ah,...

IMPERIAL, Calif. — Ten minutes into arrant mayhem in this town near the Mexican border, and the gunman, a disgruntled Iraq war veteran, has already taken out two people, one slumped in his desk, the other covered in blood on the floor.

Todd Krainin for The New York Times

In a training exercise run by Border Patrol agents, Explorer scouts from Visalia, Calif., prepare to storm a “hijacked” bus."

You're right. It's much more subtle, but true. They are being trained to "storm" buses hijacked by disgruntled Iraq war vets. You're right. It's possible to say that. I guess it'd also be true to say, if that vet was white, "Mexican-American boys and girls Being trained to kill White people."

It's using a small truth to support a big lie.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat May 16, 2009 7:07 am

Steve James wrote:Doc, do you think they're training Scouts to be killers or to kill vets?

Sounds like the Explorers are being trained to serve as an emergency paramilitary militia.

That said, the Boy Scouts have always been a military prep program, IMO.

This new twist is just taking it a step further.

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat May 16, 2009 7:37 am

This new twist is just taking it a step further.

I don't know anything about the Explorers, actually. I do know that community service, or service to the country in general, was a major tenet of the Scouts when I was one. Of course, I am also sure that no one ever trained to be a SWAT officer. I would be concerned if it were a general program for Scouts, though I'd agree that it has always been organized on a para-military basis. Then again, so are the various Cadet groups.

As an aside, my son's Scout buddy, who had made Eagle, was on the floor below where the plane crashed into Tower 2 on 9/11. He helped people down and ultimately made it out himself before it came down.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 7:47 am

Steve James wrote:Ah,...

IMPERIAL, Calif. — Ten minutes into arrant mayhem in this town near the Mexican border, and the gunman, a disgruntled Iraq war veteran, has already taken out two people, one slumped in his desk, the other covered in blood on the floor.

Todd Krainin for The New York Times

In a training exercise run by Border Patrol agents, Explorer scouts from Visalia, Calif., prepare to storm a “hijacked” bus."

You're right. It's much more subtle, but true. They are being trained to "storm" buses hijacked by disgruntled Iraq war vets. You're right. It's possible to say that. I guess it'd also be true to say, if that vet was white, "Mexican-American boys and girls Being trained to kill White people."

It's using a small truth to support a big lie.

The big print giveth and the small print taketh away. I can |r|e|a|d|.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 7:50 am

I agree the Scouts have traditionally been a military prep group, with a strong emphasis on morality and community service, and IME, no emphasis at all on killing people. Using a US vet of any kind for seek and destroy training missions is a serious mistake and I do read malicious intent into it, although certainly not from those Scouts, they're just being trained the way you train dogs.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sat May 16, 2009 8:04 am

You gotta see how the title of this thread is a bit devious, though. Yeah, it's possible to read anything you want. Still, the interpretation is misleading. Alls I'm saying is that it condemns "Boy Scouts" in a simplistic way. I can imagine some parents being encouraged to get their kids out of scouting. I didn't know the Scout oath and ideals had changed at all. I know lots of Scouts, have sons who are Scouts, and have a grandson that I'd be happy to be a Scout or even to want to uphold Scout ideals.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 8:14 am

"You gotta see how the title of this thread is a bit devious, though."
I understand what you're saying and yes, it's an attention getter. I think the training they're giving those Explorers is extremely devious.

Did you read the bit in the NY Times article about Scout leaders molesting the kids? There seem to me to be an increasing number of devious things happening in every institution of our society.
Michael

Next

Return to Off the Topic