Boy Scout Explorers Trained to Kill Veterans/Terrorists

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Boy Scout Explorers Trained to Kill Veterans/Terrorists

Postby cerebus on Sat May 16, 2009 8:40 am

Michael wrote:Did you read the bit in the NY Times article about Scout leaders molesting the kids? There seem to me to be an increasing number of devious things happening in every institution of our society.

People in every age have always felt that the "bad or devious" things in society were increasing, even in times when they were not. In fact "bad things" of all sorts have decreased greatly since, say, the Middle Ages for instance. But we are living in the here and now, so when we see or hear of "bad or devious" things happening it seems to us as if they are on the rise. It's often a trick of one's own perception...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat May 16, 2009 8:42 am

And I have to say that I agree with Steve about the whole "choosing the wording to slant the view" of the article without outright stating any actual untruths. A slick and devious way of smacking down the BSA.
Last edited by cerebus on Sat May 16, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sat May 16, 2009 8:54 am

Scouts being trained to kill vets? What the hell have animal doctors done to them?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Sat May 16, 2009 9:22 am

Andy_S wrote:Scouts being trained to kill vets? What the hell have animal doctors done to them?

i'll get my coat...
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Sat May 16, 2009 2:04 pm

The Scouts and Explorers have always been Christian paramilitary organizations. This probably only comes as a shock to those who weren't ever in there. Explorers was pitched as a stepping stone to the services or becoming a cop when I was in scouts.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat May 16, 2009 5:44 pm

...but when there is a thread title that does basically the same thing: implication, guilt by association, or subliminal smear, there is a reaction.
Last edited by Michael on Wed May 30, 2018 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby nianfong on Sun May 17, 2009 1:34 am

wow. i was an explorer. we learned how to make emulsions and crystals, and sent 2 experiments up in the shuttle
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Doc Stier on Sun May 17, 2009 5:33 am

nianfong wrote:wow. i was an explorer. we learned how to make emulsions and crystals, and sent 2 experiments up in the shuttle

Not just the same old, boring Explorers anymore, eh? :o

In any event, I wouldn't be too worried about the quality and integrity of the young people who are interested in being a part of the Explorers! Most of them have already been through the other Scout programs before entering the Explorers, like Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, and I'm willing to bet that the vast majority have a pretty good perspective on things in spite of the occasional weird leader.

So let not your hearts be troubled. Don't worry...be happy! And be glad that they aren't engaged in street gang activities or drug dealing instead. ;)

Doc :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun May 17, 2009 6:12 am

XXXXXXX
Last edited by Michael on Wed May 30, 2018 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Ian on Sun May 17, 2009 6:18 am

reminds me of this:

Ian

Postby Steve James on Sun May 17, 2009 7:28 am

Yup, just like the Scouts.

Well, I think this is not-so-subtle propaganda. What bothers me most is not the propaganda itself; it's the fact that the propagandists use whoever or whatever they want as tools to make their point. For ex., the complaint here was not about the young men and women who are Explorers or Scouts: that we were putting them in danger by asking them to go up against "special forces" types, or taking on the jobs of border-crossing officers, etc. Naw, that's not important; it's who they happened to be practicing their tactics on. Instead of a deranged vet, they should have used ... who, exactly? a deranged Mexican, a crack addict, a postal worker?

On that note, I have heard a lot about the gov't trying to get vets; but I've heard fuck-all about the need to take care of vets with psychological issues that HAVE caused psychological and domestic problems. But, concern for the vet is not the point either. Oh, that's not to say that people don't care, about Scouts or Vets, Mexicans or crack addicts. It's just that they're secondary to the political point being made.

For example, many vets (I know) go into public service, including the police force, etc, when they return. They are then in the awkward position of being 1) the object of the government's attempt to create a police state because they are a threat, while simultaneously being condemned 2) the mechanism of the government: i.e., the "police." But, when they are actively serving in the military, they are still considered the arm of the government. Ironically, ime, many enlistees were also Scouts.

Anyway, that's what makes me skeptical about the title of the thread, the association with racist nationalists/nationalism or the claims of concern for veterans. Of course, what would be the point if we agreed on improving veteran care, giving more to the VA, or spent any time condemning the real racist nationalist groups that exist here. If I didn't feel uncomfortable giving them advertisement, I'd post them myself. I sure wouldn't choose the Boy Scouts as the American example.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun May 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Several years ago, the UK setup a huge force of voluntary minders outside the police that wear little orange vests and wander the streets intimidating and harassing people for little to no reason, detain them, and then enter their names into terrorist databases. One report was of a young man and his girlfriend at a bus stop being detained because "he had his hand in his pocket". The minders can detain you for up to 30 minutes for the police to arrive if you refuse to cooperate.
Last edited by Michael on Wed May 30, 2018 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Previous

Return to Off the Topic