The Samurai and the Tea Master

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Samurai and the Tea Master

Postby bigphatwong on Sun May 17, 2009 11:14 am

This has always been my favorite Zen story, because it says a lot about calm in the face of a life-threatening situation.

--------------------------------------

There is an old story often told in traditional training halls about a confrontation between a master of the Japanese tea ceremony and a ronin, a rogue samurai. It seems the ronin was passing through the village and while in the crowded square, turned abruptly, banging his scabbard against the tea master's hip.

"You banged my sword," the ronin said coldly. "That is a grave insult, and I will kill you for it." The tea master knew immediately the ronin really meant to kill him, and he was gripped with fear. "I meant you no insult, Noble Sir. Please excuse my clumsiness and let me live. As you can see, I’m not a warrior and I have no sword."

The ronin could smell the mans fear, and it excited him. "Then get a sword and meet me on the road tomorrow at noon. There I’ll let you die like a man. But if you don't show up, I’ll find you wherever you are and cut you down like a dog." He turned his back on the stunned tea master and walked away.

The tea master was beside himself with fear. What can I do, he thought. I’m a dead man. Then he remembered hearing that a Samurai, a famous master swordsman, was also in the village. Perhaps he will help me, he thought. So he sought out the swordsman and told him his story. He explained that he had money to pay for his services and offered to hire him for protection.

"I don't hire to commoners," the swordsman said coolly. "Use your money to buy a sword and fight your own battles."

"Then will you teach me swordsmanship? I can pay you handsomely." "I don't teach martial arts to commoners either. Besides, what do you think you can learn in a day?" the swordsman said.

"What have I to lose?" said the tea master.

Indeed, thought the swordsman. Even though the man was a commoner, the samurai realized he was an innocent victim needing help. He finally agreed to teach the tea master what little swordsmanship he could in a day.

The tea master bought a sword, and the two men began their practice that afternoon. But alas, the poor man was hopelessly inept. After several hours of watching the tea master struggle through hundreds of awkward practice cuts, he shook his head and sighed.

"Tomorrow you are going to die," the swordsman said with calm conviction. The tea master was crushed. He was physically and emotionally exhausted. He dropped his sword to his side and stood there staring at the ground, shoulders sagging and sword hanging loosely from his hand. The samurai pondered him for a moment then said, "Lets have tea." The tea master looked up in puzzlement, but he carefully sheathed his sword and began unpacking his tea set.

The two men settled beneath a tree, and the tea master began his familiar routine. The swordsman marvelled as the man gracefully poured water into the bowl containing the bitter, green powder. As he artfully whisked the mixture into a frothy brew, the swordsman saw a remarkable transformation occur.

Gone was the tired, broken man who stood before him only moments ago. Now the tea master's back was straight, his shoulders square, and his head erect. Before the swordsman now sat the solemn, dignified master of an ancient ritual.

The tea master poured the tea into a cup and, turning in the ritual manner, offered it to the swordsman. His face was the picture of calmness, and looking into his eyes, the swordsman knew immediately that the man was in mushin (essentially, mind-without-thinking).

"Stop!" the swordsman said firmly. "Do you want to kill your enemy tomorrow?"

"You said I"m going to die."

"You are, but do you want to die like a warrior? Do you want to kill your enemy?"

"Yes," the tea master said calmly.

"Then do what you are doing right now."

"But I"m doing nothing right now."

"Exactly! Your mind is empty. You neither desire life nor fear death. Tomorrow when you meet your enemy, I want you to empty your mind as you have now and raise your sword above your head. When he attacks, do nothing but cut and die."

The tea master, being a master, understood.

The next day the ronin was surprised to find the tea master standing in the road, waiting for him. When he approached and the man raised the sword above his head, the ronin chuckled to himself. But as he got closer, he began to feel uneasy. He expected to see the man shaking with fear, but the tea master's sword was still, and his face was grimly calm. He stopped a few paces away and searched the tea master's eyes. He saw nothing...only death. The ronin's mouth went dry. After a moment he said, "I cannot defeat you." He turned and walked away.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Re: The Samurai and the Tea Master

Postby Josealb on Sun May 17, 2009 11:35 am

Very nice. Reminds me of a line from Yoji Yamada's Twilight Samurai:

I am ashamed to say that over many years of hardship with two daughters, a sick wife and an aged mother, I have lost the desire to wield a sword. A serious fight, the killing of a man, requires animal ferocity and calm disregard for one's own life. I have neither of those within me now. Perhaps in a month... alone with the beasts in the hills I could get them back. But tomorrow, I am afraid, is completely impossible.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Walter Joyce on Mon May 18, 2009 3:35 pm

I was starting to wonder why I keep coming to this forum when it seems I am unprepared for the wisdom being offered by so many here.

Then I read this thread.

Thank you.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon May 18, 2009 3:53 pm

What? You don't like it when RSF becomes like going to a church-sponsored handgun rally with the Michigan Militia? ;) ;D
Bär
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon May 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Bär wrote:What? You don't like it when RSF becomes like going to a church-sponsored handgun rally with the Michigan Militia? ;) ;D

personally, i feel like that's when we're at our most enertaining state.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic