Bruce Lee

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Bruce Lee

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon May 18, 2009 11:46 am

A great and innovative martial artist, with a work ethic that made him absolutely the best external fighter of alllllll time, his internal work not widely publicized, so I don't know. But his willingness to experiment with new training methods and dietary supplements lead me to wonder if his untimely death wasn't a side effect of the use of steroids. I would suggest that this was a time when the use would have been considered cutting edge and a true enhancement given that no side effects were known. I began thinking while watching the special last night on the History channel , I think it was "How Bruce Lee changed the world ". Truly a loss, I often wonder where the state of Kung Fu would be today had he lived , much like music had Jimi lived or any of the great innovators for that matter
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Re: Bruce Lee

Postby Bill on Mon May 18, 2009 11:51 am

Steroids usually do not affect ones health.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon May 18, 2009 12:21 pm

state of kung fu: it's amazing with his derision of the "classical" and "flowery" and promotion of alive training and different ranges of combat that something like the current mma didn't get big in the combat sports area before rorion gracie came along. on last night's show, someone was pointing out bruce using mma type gloves and submission moves in his movie scenes and that was 20 years before ufc 1.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bär on Mon May 18, 2009 1:39 pm

I think he was re-inventing the wheel.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon May 18, 2009 6:06 pm

the wheel had started to lose its way
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Strange on Mon May 18, 2009 6:49 pm

i do not have any proof nor did i do any research, but i just think that he died of unnatural causes.
like the Divine Spear Li Shuwen. my own conspiracy theory is that he step on too many toes on his way up.

in a TV interview i saw, Bolo Yeung said that there is only one Bruce Lee in the world, its not possible to have another one like him.
i agree. but i do not agree with his training methods or his modification of yong chun quan.

it is also very sad for him to lose his son the way he did. i think some wanted his line to end.
but like i said i do not have any proof; just my own thinking
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Mon May 18, 2009 7:20 pm

With regards to Brandon Lee's death... Bruce's line was already effectively over because Brandon refused to inherit the martial skills of his father.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon May 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Bill wrote:Steroids usually do not affect ones health.

Lyle Alzado wrote:I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped. It was addicting, mentally addicting. Now I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety percent of the athletes I know are on the stuff. We're not born to be 300 lbs or jump 30 ft. But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off it. I did things only crazy people do. Once a guy sideswiped my car and I beat the hell out of him. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk and have to hold on to someone for support, and I have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way.
Michael

Postby Strange on Mon May 18, 2009 10:38 pm

:) of course, if eventually your own son decide not to learn any form of martial art at all; he would still be your own son
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Strange I think you are right about the death of Bruce Lee- "he died of unnatural causes"
Many HK people believe this-

The TV show was corny lots of flash and balderdash but the facts remain- he had a huge effect on action movies and martial arts- he was the first Asian mega star in the west and he was a great martial artist.

RIP
Last edited by Chanchu on Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 am

Lyle Alzado is the only person who blames steroids for his cancer. There is no medical evidence to support this. Even his doctor disagrees with him as to the cancers cause.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 am

I am so sick of hearing about bruce lee.
Ian

Postby Bill on Tue May 19, 2009 9:25 am

Here is a story I heard from a professor at L.B. State who had Linda Lee in one of his classes and told him this. Bruce was taking a western medicine for headaches and when he was in Hong Kong he wanted to also try chinese herbal medicine, which he did. The combination of the two drugs had a very bad effect an Bruce and that is what killed him.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue May 19, 2009 10:19 am

I remember the myths about Lee's death well. First there was the "assassinated by the monks" for giving away cma secrets. Then there was the explanation that he had gotten in trouble with the Triads. Then there was the "overdose on marijuana." Then came the Chinese medicine. This was all in spite of reports that he died mostly of exhaustion. The stuff about steroids is news to me, but, actually, I wouldn't doubt that Lee would have tried them. They were not always illegal.

As an aside on the health effects of steroids. http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/steroids.html

AAS and mental health
Taken together, the preclinical, clinical, and anecdotal reports suggest that steroids may contribute to psychiatric dysfunction. Research shows that abuse of anabolic steroids may lead to aggression and other adverse effects.1 For example, many users report feeling good about themselves while on anabolic steroids, but extreme mood swings can also occur, including manic-like symptoms that could lead to violence.2 Researchers have also observed that users may suffer from paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment stemming from feelings of invincibility.

What Other Adverse Effects do AAS Have on Health?

Steroid abuse can lead to serious, even irreversible health problems. Some of the most dangerous among them include liver damage, jaundice (yellowish pigmentation of skin, tissues, and body fluids), fluid retention, high blood pressure, increases in LDL (bad cholesterol), and decreases in HDL (good cholesterol). Other reported effects include renal failure, severe acne, and trembling. In addition, there are some gender- and age-specific adverse effects:
For men—shrinking of the testicles, reduced sperm count, infertility, baldness, development of breasts, increased risk for prostate cancer
For women—growth of facial hair, male-pattern baldness, changes in or cessation of the menstrual cycle, enlargement of the clitoris, deepened voice
For adolescents—stunted growth due to premature skeletal maturation and accelerated puberty changes; adolescents risk not reaching their expected height if they take AAS before the typical adolescent growth spurt

In addition, people who inject AAS run the added risk of contracting or transmitting HIV/AIDS or hepatitis, which causes serious damage to the liver.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue May 19, 2009 10:26 am

I don't think that exhaustion causes the brain to swell. Which is what happened to Mr. Lee.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic