Bob Spour exposed in The Sun

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Bob Spour exposed in The Sun

Postby GrahamB on Tue May 26, 2009 3:29 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... fraud.html

We'd all heard this was coming, but here it is. Damn...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Bob Spour exposed in The Sun

Postby RobP2 on Tue May 26, 2009 3:44 am

You know as despicable as it all is in some ways I don't blame him and Grannon. They gave people what they wanted, classic NLP rapport work, establish a persona, be it SAS guy, doorman, whatever, that your target audience can relate to / aspire to, tell them what they want to hear, punt out some fairly average work spiced up with agression and "no-nonsense", a nice short term fix for the problem and off you go.

Like I said, despicable, but that's modern marketing methods for you
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue May 26, 2009 3:58 am

I guess it's also like when a religious guru turns out to have been all too human and is an alcoholic, or has been sleeping with his female followers on the side. Hey guess what - they're only human!

It's human nature to project unrealistic expectations onto people and want to dissolve all our responsibility onto them... it's occasionally 'good' for us to have our illusions shattered, I think.

But there's also the issue of any potential fraud involved - lying through false advertising and taking money based on those lies, which could potentially be breaking a law.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue May 26, 2009 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue May 26, 2009 3:58 am

one thing about marketing and branding, especially branding yourself, is to never sacrifice your reputation for short-term gain. your reputation is priceless.

why not just be honest? honesty and being yourself shows and people will come. ironically, more people will follow you if you're honest about your limitations than if you lie about them.
Ian

Postby RobP2 on Tue May 26, 2009 4:56 am

Absolutely - and I in no way condone what they have done, especially riding on the reputations of people who served.

As far as honesty goes - well perhaps saying here's a hodge-podge of bits and pieces I gathered from here and there wouldn't sell many DVDs :-)

You now how it is - for somemthing to really sell mainstream it has to be "sexed up" in some way other and offer an instant solution. It's also true that people dupe themselves in their search for a guru, sifu, master, RBSD expert or whatever. Any material that challenges peoples existing conceptions or actually promotes. you know, hard work, is unlikely to be flying out of the door
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Tue May 26, 2009 5:11 am

was his stuff any good? I heard he studied Muay Thai and Silat...
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Tue May 26, 2009 5:19 am

I read his MT credentials are under review too so I don't know. The "SAS" stuff I saw looked like basic combatives with added testosterone
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue May 26, 2009 5:21 am

RobP2 wrote:As far as honesty goes - well perhaps saying here's a hodge-podge of bits and pieces I gathered from here and there wouldn't sell many DVDs :-)

True, but I'd have a lot of respect for someone who says "I'm not an ex-soldier, I haven't worked the doors, I'm not a bodyguard, I'm just a hobbyist. A damned good hobbyist, but caveat emptor. Anyway, here's my stuff - see for yourself" and just had a lot of examples of his (evidently functional) material. Maybe in an MMA setting or whatever.

I'd find that refreshing and wouldn't think any less of him.

IMO the term "expert" is nebulous media-speak.
Ian

Postby Steve James on Tue May 26, 2009 5:46 am

Generally, if a person will lie about something like that, the rest of his information will also be suspect. He should be ashamed; but, he had to be nuts to put himself on tv.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue May 26, 2009 6:24 am

what? a lying poser on tv? well! I never!!!

;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Tue May 26, 2009 6:21 pm

wah this is good...
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue May 26, 2009 6:48 pm

For some reason the title of this thread had me thinking of Sponge Bob soaked with sour milk lying under the hot sun in a desert, hence my reluctance to look.... is that weird?
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic