ortho bionomy

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

ortho bionomy

Postby Brady on Tue May 26, 2009 4:46 pm

anyone have any experience with this bodywork?
http://www.ortho-bionomy.org/

Read a book by the founder, seems like it could be good
Brady
Wuji

Re: ortho bionomy

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue May 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Oh for fucks sake, how many ways can you repackage bad taichi and yoga? lol

did you read that site? what crap. lol

stick with your teacher!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Tue May 26, 2009 6:04 pm

?!?

Its a form of bodywork/massage/osteopathy. Rather dissimilar to taichi. I don't dig the new agey packaging, but if the system works I don't care about the marketing.

Happy with my teachers thanks.
Brady
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Tue May 26, 2009 7:31 pm

try it and see if you like it. but it looks to me like he hasn't found anything really new, just new packaging for rolfing/feldenkrais/yoga/pilates/etc./etc.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed May 27, 2009 7:38 am

Image Image

Ortho-Bionomy: Courtesy of Society of Ortho-Bionomy International

"Ortho-Bionomy® (OB) is a gentle, non-invasive form of body therapy that is highly effective in working with chronic stress, injuries and problems associated with postural imbalances. It is gentle and safe to use even in cases of acute injury and severe pain. Using gentle compression, positioning, and light touch, OB stimulates the client's inner awareness by way of the proprioceptive reflexes located in the joints and muscles. This in turn awakens self-correcting and self-balancing reflexes, bringing about a sense of balance and well-being, both physically and emotionally. Self-healing occurs as the individual remembers his/her natural ability to move away from pain and toward comfort.

Ortho-Bionomy is best known for the Positional Release Techniques (PRT). Yet working with the body, rather than on the body differentiates OB from mere PRT, as OB works on energetic levels as well as the physical. With OB the practitioner does less physical work and follows the individual's energetic patterns more, sometimes with little or no physical contact. A dynamic, nonverbal dialogue ensues as the practitioner explores imbalances in the aura as well as the physical body. OB is a valuable tool when the individual is in too much pain - physical or otherwise - to be touched.

As an approach for working with the whole person - body, spirit and emotions - OB empowers individuals to make their own choices, honoring the distinctive wisdom of the body."

Ortho-Bionomy incorporates elements of a wide variety of established healing modalities such as Osteopathy, Network Chiropractic, Cranial Sacral Therapy, Massage Therapy, Jin Shin Do, Touch For Health, Reiki, Reflexology, Brahmavidya, Homeopathy, and others.

From a professional clinical perspective, however, it is debatable as to whether its proprietary blend of such methods is any more effective than any of these modalities wholly applied either individually or concurrently, IMO. :-\

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed May 27, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 am

Brady wrote:?!?

Its a form of bodywork/massage/osteopathy. Rather dissimilar to taichi. I don't dig the new agey packaging, but if the system works I don't care about the marketing.

Happy with my teachers thanks.

no need to take it as a shot Brady. yeesh.

bodywork = similar to tai chi /yoga / stretching /hanging from a tree upside down etc etc.

this is repackaged, slick worded, new age shmaltz. cut and dried.
hence, "stick with your teacher" not meaning you directly, but referring to not rebuilding the wheel just to look like someone has something different when in fact, that is not so.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Wed May 27, 2009 4:26 pm

I don't have an opportunity to get it done to me, but an opp to learn some of it from someone who is a practitioner.

Darth, I didn't take it as a shot to me, just a heavy dose of smugness. Everyone knows marketing for bodywork sucks, but you grin and bear it to get the chronic pain market.

Anyways, it does seem a bit like glorified positional release but that's good stuff and I like having extra tricks up my sleeve.
Brady
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic