Paul Of DUNE

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Paul Of DUNE

Postby Strange on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:31 am

i just bought it.
i thought the Butlerian Jihad and House XXXXX series was ghey...
i just read a couple of chapters but i think this one has class... now if only the opening quotes to each chapters were longer, more sinister, more cunning, more "DUNE"....
;D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: Paul Of DUNE

Postby zenshiite on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:22 am

I haven't heard good about this book. I'll just prefer to finally getting around to reading the entirety of the original saga and leave it at that. I had a copy of the Butlerian Jihad but I hated it so much it became a prop-up for my window sill air conditioner and got soaked through in a particularly nasty Philadelphia summer rainstorm.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 am

I think its time i get a hold of those books...
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:05 am

For some reasons i love the Dune classics better....the older the better...especially the sandyworms...
i saw the movie but never remember its name when i was small....
It seems that spice=(mass of oil)* C square

Over
Last edited by Overlord on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Overlord

Postby Strange on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:35 am

the earlier works of brian herbert and kevin anderson were really weak i think. the limp wristedness spread into your hand if you hold the book long enough. horrible.

but with this one i think the authors are finally getting the feel of the dune world.
long live the fighters!
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:42 am

You are the Dune experts...i only watch the movie..., better start reading to know what you are talking about...
No...stay with movie.., too much to read now..no time...ha ha.. ;D

Over
Last edited by Overlord on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby zenshiite on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:18 am

The movie is a piece of shit. You're better off watching the lower budgeted Sci-Fi channel miniseries that David Lynch's heap of trash.

Supposedly there's rumblings of another movie adaptation being made... hopefully this time they'll get it through their heads that the Fremen are Arabs-in-space. In fact, they are much like the Nizari Ismaili assassins of the middle ages mixed with the Mahdi of Sudan and his followers.
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby oldtyger on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I read the first couple books by Frank Herbert. I thought they were pretty good, not great. I saw both the David Lynch film and the 1st SF series. The book is better than either film or TV series. The film was difficult to follow if you knew nothing about the book and the story was changed--which happens in almost all movie adaptations. The whole concept of Paul Atreides power coming from these vocal attenuators was completely new and unique to the film. Duncan actually dies in the film I think--which is not what happens in the book. Still there are some moments that are pretty good. The whole weird atmosphere that David Lynch brought to the movie was good--I believe HR Giger did some of the designs.Also I really liked Gurney Halleck as portrayed by Patrick Stewart--just not enough screen time for him.

The SF series was able to show more of the story since it was longer. So it was probably a little less confusing but it was obviously a smaller budget when you look at the overall production design, costumes, sets, special effects. I liked the ambience of the film more.
oldtyger
Mingjing

Postby Strange on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:49 pm

for me is also about the casting, costume, set, lighting etc....
which i think was much better done in the old film, in the new one everything just looked cobbled together
i couldnt bear to watch really.
for me paul needs to have a bit of that androgynous boyish look; the air of a noble; the look that he is 'above' normal and can be very lethal if required. the paul in the new mini series just does not cut it
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:54 pm

In the movie, I really liked the Sting vs Muad Dib knife fight, though I wish it had been a bit longer and more involved. The book (Dune) was FREAKIN' AWESOME. Herbert's combination of martial arts and mysticism was well-done and fascinating.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:04 am

The old one, even being as 'bad' as it is, is miles better than the endlessly corny and awful sci fi mini-series-movies whatever the hell they are.

There were liberties taken in the movie, but understandable ones at the time. It just kind of grew into this awfully huge silly movie. I think the casting was great, the customes done much better, in the old movie.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Strange on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:10 am

lets hope they remake the movie soon
i think with modern movie magic, it will turn out really awesome and do the story justice
:D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:24 am

The stillsuits in Lynch's movie aren't how Herbert describes them... nor are they what the original commissioned artwork of the looked like. Say what you will, but the Sci-Fi mini-series is a true to the image evoked in the books as could be done on a television budget. I'd like to see them do that with a big budget, and as people have cited on other forums... make sure they cast the appropriate age for Paul. Paul's only like 15 in the first book.
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:43 pm

...you mean like this...
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:16 pm

I suppose that could work.
zenshiite
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic