Gun Safety: The Last Word

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Gun Safety: The Last Word

Postby klonk on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:03 pm

This is uncommonly well put, even if I did write it:

http://www.squidoo.com/gunsafety

Any commentary or dissent?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Gun Safety: The Last Word

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Can't go wrong following that advice.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:35 pm

All fine rules. The only thing I'd add, if I may, is context. Rather than assume a weapon is loaded, make sure that it is unloaded. I.e., don't accept a weapon from anyone unless he/she shows you --by showing you the empty chamber, or by pulling the clip and shucking the round, or by opening the bolt. Then, check it yourself, and if you don't know how, get training. Afterwards, treat the gun as if it were loaded, following all the rules you described.

Needless to say, keep your weapon in a "safe" place, unloaded until it is intended to be used, and out of the graps of anyone who might be untrained.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:03 am

It depends on your purposes for owning a gun, doesn't it? If you have a gun for personal/home defense, then you want it accessible and loaded. In which case, a rule of thumb might be "never draw your gun unless to shoot, never shoot unless to kill."
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am

Steve's purpose is safeguarding against gangs of marauding opossums, and he usually likes to give them a warning shot or two.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:17 am

Bhassler wrote:"never draw your gun unless to shoot, never shoot unless to kill."

Not an expert by any means, but it seems like there could be situations where these don't apply, so I wouldn't say "never" in these cases...
Maybe more like "never draw your gun unless you are willing and able to shoot, never shoot unless you are willing and able to kill."

As for article, points 1 and 4 cover it all, IMHO. It seems that 2 and 3 are redundant, i.e. 3 is already covered in 1 (the "any gun you see is ready to fire when the trigger is touched" part, i.e. don't touch the trigger unless you are about to pull it, i.e. keep your finger off of it at all other times), and 2 is covered in 4 (i.e. make sure you're pointing it exactly where you intended.)
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:58 am

From the NRA

NRA Gun Safety Rules

The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

When using or storing a gun, always follow these NRA rules:

Know your target and what is beyond.
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

Know how to use the gun safely.
Before handling a gun, learn how it operates. Know its basic parts, how to safely open and close the action and remove any ammunition from the gun or magazine. Remember, a gun's mechanical safety device is never foolproof. Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling. [/b]

Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
Just like other tools, guns need regular maintenance to remain operable. Regular cleaning and proper storage are a part of the gun's general upkeep. If there is any question concerning a gun's ability to function, a knowledgeable gunsmith should look at it.

Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
Only BBs, pellets, cartridges or shells designed for a particular gun can be fired safely in that gun. Most guns have the ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Ammunition can be identified by information printed on the box and sometimes stamped on the cartridge. Do not shoot the gun unless you know you have the proper ammunition.

Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
Guns are loud and the noise can cause hearing damage. They can also emit debris and hot gas that could cause eye injury. For these reasons, shooting glasses and hearing protectors should be worn by shooters and spectators.

Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting.
Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

Cleaning
Regular cleaning is important in order for your gun to operate correctly and safely. Taking proper care of it will also maintain its value and extend its life. Your gun should be cleaned every time that it is used.

A gun brought out of prolonged storage should also be cleaned before shooting. Accumulated moisture and dirt, or solidified grease and oil, can prevent the gun from operating properly.

Before cleaning your gun, make absolutely sure that it is unloaded. The gun's action should be open during the cleaning process. Also, be sure that no ammunition is present in the cleaning area.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Never use alcohol and frack around with guns... SFT
can't believe that some people do this many do though...

Alway treat a gun like a pet rattle snake one wrong move or inattention and you or someone you care fore will get bitten hurt or worse permanent
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:37 am

Bhassler wrote:It depends on your purposes for owning a gun, doesn't it? If you have a gun for personal/home defense, then you want it accessible and loaded. In which case, a rule of thumb might be "never draw your gun unless to shoot, never shoot unless to kill."

I am not happy with the traditional chestnut expressed in the last clauses above. What present day criminology shows us (see for example John Lott's work) is that very often the criminal flees straightway a gun is produced--it very often works fine if you produce it but don't fire it.

I would say most criminals are hyenas not lions--opportunistic scavengers and predators upon the weak.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:02 pm

@Steve: There is no doubt that there is more to be said besides, about gun safety, than can be placed in a short set of memorized rules. Indeed, the point of the Four Rules isn't only to memorize them but to make them instinctive. Rule One, for instance, when really taken to heart, means there is no question in your mind over whether a gun is loaded. If it is a gun, it is. It does no harm to be wrong in this assumption, but to be wrong the other way sure can.

All the ancillary details about hearing protection, correct ammunition, and the rest, are must-know information, but not things that need to be ingrained at the reflexive level. You have time to think about them.

Similarly, safe storage of guns, under lock and key, is an issue of vital importance, but it does not relate to gun handling per se. If it is in the safe, you are not handling it. Getting people to store their guns properly is a matter of some emphasis to the NRA, and I applaud and support their efforts. Here tradition somewhat plays us false. We used to live in a country where you could keep a gun behind the door or under the bed, with little chance of harm coming of it. We were a more gun-oriented culture in Grandpa's day; kids and guests knew to keep their hands off the guns!

Both you and Chanchu have raised the very important point that you must not handle firearms when you are impaired by alcohol or anything else. Teetotaling until after the guns are locked away again is a part of the gun culture, or at least, any responsible part of it. After the shooting, it is often considered a good time to hoist a couple to the day's success (or lack of it), but impairment while shooting is one of the cultural taboos. It will get you shown the gate at any club I'm aware of, probably for good.
Last edited by klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Klonk, my main point was about handling firearms, not using them. The only reason I posted the NRA guidelines for safety was because it seemed that some thought the idea of keeping a gun unloaded was simple-minded or, better, that it was contrary to the intended usage. I.e., self-defense. And, yes, I'm saying that keeping a loaded gun around is unsafe, on its face. Keeping a loaded gun around peole who are untrained or unauthorized to handle it is just dumb, but ymmv.

My first point was only that (I) don't trust people who keep loaded guns around because it's sloppy practice. Keeping the ammo and the weapon in the same place is also bad practice, imv. If I'm suspicious about someone or something happening, then I load. The secondary for asking someone to unload (clear) the weapon before I handle it is so that I can see whether I'm familiar with the action. If I'm not, then I ask to be shown. I want to know whether the safety works up or down, etc. If it's a weapon with a bolt, I want to be sure which way the shells are ejected. Finally, if someone wants to handle a loaded weapon around me, I don't assume that he doesn't mean to use it. And, if he leaves it around loaded, he's taking the chance that I (or someone, including a kid) might use it. What can I say? I'm a fraidy cat.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:40 pm

See, this is a confusion that has dogged the Four Rules ever since they were introduced. "All guns are always loaded" is transmogrified (by idiots) to say all guns should be loaded all the time, which is ridiculous. What is clearly intended (maybe not clearly enough) is the mindset involved in proper handling.

I should add something about that over on the Squid. Thanks!

Okay, I made some updates. I hope they cover the problems pointed to.

I agree that it is a sloppy practice to keep a loaded gun lying around, and in some cases very stupid as well. Once an elderly relative of mine was concerned for his safety, due to some bad events that happened near where he lived, way out in the country, but he didn't think he wanted a loaded gun around. I 'splained to him, and hand-waved him through the process, that if he kept the slide locked back on his automatic pistol, and kept the magazine in his pocket, he could load and fire in less time than it takes to tell about it. A bit of logic goes a long way sometimes.
Last edited by klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Naw, thank you. I believe that everyone should receive gun safety lessons. I'm not against guns: I'm afraid of unsafe people. It's just my experience. How many times do you hear "I didn't know it was loaded." Shit, how can you not know? How many times have you seen (or heard of) a guy at a party saying "Wanna see my piece?" Then, "Is the safety on?"

Okay, if somebody goes to the trouble of getting a carry permit, they have the right to carry loaded. But, that's why I appreciate the hell they make applicants go through. Sure, if you're hunting bear or game, it's necessary ... and that's when your basic four rules make concise sense.

Hey, I understand that there are people who keep their loaded .45 in their end tables. I'd prefer making sure that intruders don't get in rather than planning on a shoot out.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 am

Steve James wrote:How many times have you seen (or heard of) a guy at a party saying "Wanna see my piece?" Then, "Is the safety on?"

Thankfully, never!
Ian

Return to Off the Topic