Shanghai building fall down and go boom

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Shanghai building fall down and go boom

Postby Bill on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:03 pm

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Shanghai building fall down and go boom

Postby Bill on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:04 pm

新华网上海6月27日电27日5时30分许,上海市闵行区莲花南路罗阳路口,一在建楼盘工地发生楼体倒覆事故,造成一名工人死亡,无人受伤。

事故发生后,上海市委、市政府主要领导高度重视,市长韩正要求有关部门迅速调查处理,确保群众生活不受影响。

事故发生在淀浦河南岸的“莲花河畔景苑”,发生倒覆的是一栋13层在建住宅楼。由于此楼尚未竣工交付使用,所以未酿成居民伤亡事故。

记者在现场看到,倒覆的住宅楼横“躺”于地,所幸周边数栋在建楼房未受损。据工地人员透露,工人们近日正在倒覆住宅楼附近进行地下车库施工。

记者从有关部门了解到,26日邻近的淀浦河防汛墙出现了70余米塌方险情,有关方面连夜组织抢险工作。27日晨,河畔在建的这栋13层高楼突然整体倒覆。警方透露,在事故中丧身的工人为安徽籍民工,姓肖,28岁。事发时,他正在楼里取工具,楼房倒塌前他未来得及逃出不幸丧身。

目前,有关部门正加强周边建筑物的安全检测,确保群众生活不受影响。事故原因目前正在调查之中。 (本文来源:新华网 作者:刘丹 杨金志)
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby gosao on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Can't read chinese, so was this an intentional demolition or an accident due to shoddy construction?
gosao
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Shoddy construction.

Shit man. I wanted to be the one to post those pics. The discussion about it in Chinese is hysterical.

Fortunately, no one had moved in yet. There was only one fatality and it was from a worker. Other than that the building was empty. People are saying that while this is going to really hurt business for the construction company, whoever made the windows is going to use this thing as an advert for their company as you can see, none of the windows broke when the building fell over.

Boy, talk about not having any root.

I heard the building market in Shanghai was ready to tumble but this is ridiculous.

Two new industries were born that day.
1. Building inpsections to see if they are attached to the ground.
2. Building raising companies. The thing is in such good shape they will probably just stand it up again.

What a fucking joke. Thank god the building was still empty.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Dayum! Yeah, my first thought was wondering how many people dead and injured... glad to hear no one had moved in yet.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:51 pm

It's strange that the building itself didn't crumble after the fall...

But yeah, MAN that would be one truly terrifying event if it were occupied... :-X
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Apparently the construction company failed to speak the magical phrase mei wen ti loudly enough when building the foundations.
Michael

Postby cerebus on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Michael wrote:Apparently the construction company failed to speak the magical phrase mei wen ti loudly enough when building the foundations.

I don't know what that means, but if it translates as "Okay, pour the concrete" then I'm guessing you're right...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:53 pm

It's the most terrifying phrase in all of China and generally the very first one you learn when you get here.

It means, "No problem! ;D " and yes, it is always said with that big shit-eating grin.

I have learned to fear and loath that phrase. I have a Pavlovian response where when I hear the magical phrase. "Mei WENTI!!!" (no problem) the hair on the back of my neck sticks up and I have to take 4 or 5 deep breaths to calm down and avoid pimp slapping the speaker back into the 18th century.

I almost GUARANTEES that there will be a problem. I have to stop writing now. I'm getting pissed off just thinking about it and this building sort of represents sooooo much of what I really hate about PRC society on so many levels. There's so much more to it than just a shitty foundation. It represents the culmination of a whole host of societal issues.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Thank you, Omar. Thank you for that post. I haven't smacked anyone yet in four years over here, but dayuuum!

One of my classes asked me what you shouldn't say to a foreigner and I told them that saying "It doesn't matter," to an American, without context, is taken to mean, "You or what you are talking about don't matter." I tell all my students to say in English, "No problem," instead, but the problem with all my students is they've already learned Engrish before they ever met me.
Michael

Postby jasonf on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Anyone know where in Shanghai this happened exactly? The buildings look very familiar, but thats probably because all the new apartments look the same...
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Michael on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:03 pm

It was in the part of Shanghai where gravity is functioning properly, but building inspectors are not.
Michael

Postby vadaga on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Omar (bailewen) wrote:It's the most terrifying phrase in all of China and generally the very first one you learn when you get here.

It means, "No problem! ;D " and yes, it is always said with that big shit-eating grin.

I have learned to fear and loath that phrase. I have a Pavlovian response where when I hear the magical phrase. "Mei WENTI!!!" (no problem) the hair on the back of my neck sticks up and I have to take 4 or 5 deep breaths to calm down and avoid pimp slapping the speaker back into the 18th century.

I almost GUARANTEES that there will be a problem. I have to stop writing now. I'm getting pissed off just thinking about it and this building sort of represents sooooo much of what I really hate about PRC society on so many levels. There's so much more to it than just a shitty foundation. It represents the culmination of a whole host of societal issues.

don't forget 'cha bu duo', another lovely principle

Contractor A: ‘hey, did we put enough cement in there? the ground looks a bit mushy...'
Contractor B: 'aiya, cha bu duo le. ‘
Contractor A: 'But it could fall down'
Contractor B: '我说怎么做你就怎么做吧,别管闲事!‘
and so on...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby meeks on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:37 pm

doesn't look like a construction issue, so much as a design issue - poking 5 foot stems into the ground to solidify its grounding? Who the hell thought up that idea? the designers should have drawn up plans involving some ballast underground.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Next

Return to Off the Topic