Books (Kung Fu Karate & Magick, Oh My!)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Books (Kung Fu Karate & Magick, Oh My!)

Postby cerebus on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 am

Last edited by cerebus on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Re: Books (Kung Fu Karate & Magick, Oh My!)

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:35 am

You got some weird ass books. :)
Chris Fleming

Postby cerebus on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Heh, heh. Oh you missed out on some of the REALLY weird stuff (though I do have more which I'll be listing at some point)... ;)
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Snow on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi Cerebus,

Did you ever sell that one by Charles Lamb? If not, next time it's listed, post another heads-up, would you? I'd be interested in a couple months if I have the disposable income for it by then. Thanks!

-Beth
Snow
Anjing

Postby Michael on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:33 pm

No, no, we will all bid against her and put it out of her price range!

j/k Hope you get it. Just offer Troy some cash, he's gotta pay the rent and get some motorcycle tires. It's a buyer's market. :)
Michael

Postby cerebus on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:16 pm

Unfortunately the Charles Lamb book sold and is no longer in my possession. It was a pretty cool volume too, very odd and interesting. But hey, I still have way too many books, so I'm always posting new stuff. Keep checking back! ;)
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Snow on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Ah well, serves me right for waiting too long. I'm glad you got the money for it at least. (Too bad Michael wasn't around as a ringer then, to jack up the price on your bidder.)

Don't worry, I always look at your book posts. You have some nice, weird, rare stuff. I wish you had a dark little bookstore I could just go wander in for a while. I just have to control myself expenditures-wise for a little while. Books are my biggest weakness.
Snow
Anjing

Postby cerebus on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks Beth! Yeah, I always used to say that I should open a bookstore, but that requires too much overhead, and then I don't reach as large a client base as I do through eBay. At one time I had the ambition of buying my grandparent's house in New England and building a tremendous and impressive library of antique occult books and allowing friends from around the world to come and stay at my place and spend days perusing the library and discussing arcane metaphysical and philosophical concepts into the wee hours of the night.

Then reality intruded and I ended up homeless and living on the streets of Oakland, CA for a week back in '02. I still managed to re-build an impressive West-Coast collection (and still feel the pain from parting with several of the once-in-a-lifetime volumes I had obtained), but life is about change and I'm now trying to pare everything down to nearly-nothing. So, keep your eyes open and I'll be posting some more stuff (the most impressive things are still yet to come)...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:53 am

Oh, and if you manage to get to the SF Bay Area anytime soon, you are cordially invited to browse through what is left of my collection (though I'm selling stuff as quickly as I can manage to force myself to part with it).
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Snow on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks! If I get a chance sometime, that would be really cool.
Snow
Anjing

Postby edededed on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:56 pm

Just wondering - why did you decide to start parting with the once-in-a-lifetime volumes that were surely quite hard to obtain in the first place? (Living in Japan, I do empathize in terms of books taking quite a lot of living space, though.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:07 pm

A few reasons. One, I'm poor and unemployed. And for another I just decided that I wanted to just get rid of as many of my belongings as possible. When most of the books have gone to new homes I may take some time and travel in the U.S. "Walk the earth. Like Caine in "Kung Fu". Go from place to place, meet people, get in adventures..." ;D
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:27 am

Cool. :) Maybe you can find some time to wander about in Japan and China as well ;)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:29 am

I sold all my stuff and moved to China. Best thing I ever did and took me about three years to part with it.
Michael

Postby cerebus on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:45 am

Ya know, I might do just that. Whether I'm in the U.S. or Asia though, I'm looking forward to getting in touch with summa youse guys... ;D
cerebus
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic