China: Traditional medicine for swine flu

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Postby Bob on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:35 pm

Published: July 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Beijing's municipal health department says some influenza A H1N1 patients have been treated using traditional Chinese medicine.

The Beijing Health Bureau said as of Thursday, eight of 17 flu patients handpicked to receive the treatment using 5,000-year-old traditional Chinese medicine were fully recovered, China Daily reported.

The non-Tamiflu medication has shown great promise for the remaining nine recovering patients, officials of the Beijing Health Bureau said.

The Ministry of Health said nearly 90 percent of the influenza A H1N1 patients in China have been treated with a combination of traditional Chinese medicine and western medicine.

There were 1,518 laboratory-confirmed cases H1N1, also called swine flu, and no deaths reported to the World Health Organization by Chinese officials, statistics posted on the WHO Web site indicated.

© 2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/07/ ... 246567262/
Bob
Great Old One

Re: China: Traditional medicine for swine flu

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Since there are at least 600 individual ingredients and several hundred formulas listed in the Chinese Materia Medica, it would have been more interesting to know which of these are being applied to the Swine Flu. :-\

Doc Stier, OMD
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:48 pm

LOL, you expected specific information from the PRC? Shame on you, Doc. ;D

Details, schmeetails. Mei wen ti!
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Michael wrote:Details, schmeetails. Mei wen ti!

Yeah, right, no problem. ::)

Sort of like this, eh? ;D

Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:07 am

Ah just take some ginseng and call me in the morning.

Actually, my guess would be something like the formula called Yin Qiao, typical for cold and flu, but I am certainly no expert at all. Who knows if that would even work for something as serious as the swine.
Chris Fleming

Postby Franklin on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:19 am

from what i was reading about what was used during the SARs outbreak
i would guess that the more modern formula like Gan Mao Ling would be the choice
as it is based on the modern research on the herbs properties and uses many herbs that have anti-viral properties (some of which are not in the classical materia medica)

here is a page that explains the formula pretty well
http://www.activeherb.com/ganmao/

here is an article about avian flu and TCM
http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/ ... p?id=30357

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:07 am

actually ginseng, according to my TCMD, is not the answer. korean stuff has toxins that can make it worse. american stuff is more friendly, but still it may be too much for your system to handle in its weakened state.

TCM remedies typically vary per the patient, so I'm not surprised they did not release the formula. but once they have data, they might release the main ingredient(s), once they figure out how to make money off it haha. damn capitalist communists.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:15 pm

nianfong wrote: korean stuff has toxins that can make it worse.

This statement is absolutely not true! ::)

Korean Ginseng is not toxic. It has long been one of the finest and most energetically potent varieties of ginseng root grown anywhere in the world. All herbs, however, have atmospheric energy attributes ranging from cold>cool>neutral>warm>hot.

Korean ginseng has a very hot and drying atmospheric energy. As such, it is contra-indicated for use by anyone who is suffering from symptoms of inflammation or fever, which would include cases of influenza of any kind, such as Swine Flu. Korean ginseng would definitely aggravate the flu symptoms.

Additionally, those who seriously practice internal training methods such as chi-kung/qi-gong or yogic pranayama, tend to normally manifest a hotter body temperature, and would do well to avoid ingesting Korean ginseng root during the hot Summer Season of the year to avoid general overheating and internal dehydration, but may use this herb to maintain a warm body temperature even in the most frigid weather during the cold and wet Winter Season.

Lastly, I have regularly consumed Korean ginseng root for nearly 50 years time to date with consistent benefits, and I am getting stronger everyday in the process, so it is obviously not toxic or detrimental to physical health in any way. ;)

Doc Stier, OMD
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic