War is a Racket! by Smedley Bulter (Yes, that one!)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

War is a Racket! by Smedley Bulter (Yes, that one!)

Postby Pat on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:22 pm

People who like history and former Jarheads of RSF- i present you with this...

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.pdf

One of the baddest dudes to ever wear the uniform says war is bullshit. Not new thoughts, just cool to read.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Re: War is a Racket! by Smedley Bulter (Yes, that one!)

Postby Strange on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:38 pm

TWO!!! congressional medals of honour...
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby bustr on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:57 pm

Every registered republican voter should be forced to memorize that book.
bustr

Postby dragontigerpalm on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:04 pm

bustr wrote:Every registered republican voter should be forced to memorize that book.

FWIW the Vietnam War was the Democrat's war - began with democrat JFK, inherited and continued by democrat LBJ, and ended by republican RMN.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Chanchu on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

J.C! A real warrior a general and a honest man- Semper Fi

Honors rendered! Salute!
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:57 am

fwiw, the vietnam war wasn't a "democrats" war, it was America's war.

War is a racket, but not in every case.

despite that the most uncomfortable peace is better than the most just war, there is a preponderance of war in the history of America starting pretty much at the foundations and working forward in time.

war is a racket and the price to play is blood and treasure and the winnings are power.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:28 am

Having said that, I'm surprised there is no marking of the passing of one of Americas greatest warmongers ever, Robert McNamara, who ironically died peacefully in his bed at the age of 93.

This guy knew more than almost any american what the country was into war for and why.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:22 am

Ever watch The Fog of War? Great docu about McNamara and all his involvemants...
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:52 am

Darth R&R,
My statement was in response to the absurd and simplistic notion implied by bustr's post that republicans are pro war and through implication by omission that democrats are antiwar. Such gross generalizations are silly particularly in light of the historical record. Pro and anti views, feelings and support vacillated greatly across party lines and even amongst and within individuals throughout the 60's and early 70's with regard to the Vietnam War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:28 pm

dtp- understood, but your statement seemed to exacerbate that which you seem to want to dissuade?

dr.rob- yes I have seen that doc. It was interesting for sure and I would watch it again. I'm sure I'll get to soon too seing as the guy just died yesterday.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:25 pm

dragontigerpalm wrote:
bustr wrote:Every registered republican voter should be forced to memorize that book.

FWIW the Vietnam War was the Democrat's war - began with democrat JFK, inherited and continued by democrat LBJ, and ended by republican RMN.

actually the US involvement in vietnam extends back before JFK. he inherited it too. many speculate he was killed because he wanted to pull out of vietnam when the industrial/mil complex wanted an escalation.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:18 pm

ashe wrote:
dragontigerpalm wrote:

actually the US involvement in vietnam extends back before JFK. he inherited it too. many speculate he was killed because he wanted to pull out of vietnam when the industrial/mil complex wanted an escalation.

Our involvement which was essentially non-military did predate Kennedy but when JFK took office there were fewer than 1000 (800-900) advisors in Vietnam. By the time JFK was assassinated in 1963 there were 16700 advisors comprised of special ops, green berets etc. Johnson bumped that up to 27000 a few months later. After the Gulf of Tonkin resolution in 1965 the first 3500 combat troops were sent in and by June 1965 there were 74000 troops in Vietnam.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:26 am

It's a matter of public record that the Gulf Of Tonkin incident was a false flag op in order to enter into war with Vietnam though.

so, the assassination theory kind of holds water in terms of jfk.

It was quick on the heels of Eisenhower's warning about the military industrial complex taking over the halls of power in the USA.

Which brings me to my own belief that America hasn't had a legitimate president since Eisenhower and most certainly not since JFK. Essentially, the US is run by the pentagon, big oil and big pharma. The pentagon umbrellas all the drug dealers and arms dealers while the others control the domestic desires. It's a good set up for America and not so good for anyone else.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:It's a matter of public record that the Gulf Of Tonkin incident was a false flag op in order to enter into war with Vietnam though.

so, the assassination theory kind of holds water in terms of jfk.

It was quick on the heels of Eisenhower's warning about the military industrial complex taking over the halls of power in the USA.

Which brings me to my own belief that America hasn't had a legitimate president since Eisenhower and most certainly not since JFK. Essentially, the US is run by the pentagon, big oil and big pharma. The pentagon umbrellas all the drug dealers and arms dealers while the others control the domestic desires. It's a good set up for America and not so good for anyone else.

I don't give much credence to that assassination theory but I'm not big on conspiracy theories in general. Even if JFK started to have misgivings about the US involvement in Vietnam such a drastic course of action was hardly necessary. A significant majority of Americans supported US miltary action in Vietnam. Despite a rising decibel level of antiwar protest in the US it wasn't until August 1968 around the time of the Democratic Convention in Chicago that a majority thought it was a mistake to send troops to Vietnam. Even when LBJ's approval rating sank to 35% the majority of respondents (61%) classified themselves as hawks. More people criticized LBJ for not taking a more aggressive stance than wanted a reduction or withdrawal of forces.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic