The Most Violent Country?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Most Violent Country?

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:16 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: The Most Violent Country?

Postby cerebus on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Sweden? Belgium? Canada? Finland? Netherlands? WTF???? All of them WAY more violent countries than the US? Wow...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:42 pm

I finds the figures to be really pretty misleading.

There is no breakdown of what kind of crime. I kind of doubt this stands as any sort of an argument for the second amendment as it does not really compare murder rates or hospitalizations. A violent crime would include a barfight or a bunch of hooligans beating the shit out of someone. I expect purse snatchings and stuff like that figure in. My guess is that it just shows that regular old brawling tends to show up more. That was my first thought comparing Canada and the US. In Canada, I think it's just because more people are likely to get into good old fashioned drunken brawling but they are still FAAAAR less likely to "bust a cap in your ass". :p
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:51 pm

You could actually view this as those countries having the most intolerance towards violent crime, therefore creating laws that sweep the spectrum of violent crime and thereby crank up the numbers of what is interpreted as a violent crime under the law.

Slapping your husband in public in canada could get you charged with assault for instance whether the husband wants to lay charges or not. You are effectively against the crown in canada.
this is only one example.

also, we have a lot of unemployed, bored, violent people up here wandering the wastelands laying beatings on passers by.

so beware the canada motherfuckers!!!

;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Tom wrote:Who woulda thunk that Canada has a higher rate of violent crime per 100,000 persons than the US, ay? 935 to 466 . . . more than twice as high. Must be that Second Amendment at work down here. ;)

Hey the Canadians finally beat us at something.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:06 pm

grzegorz wrote:
Tom wrote:Who woulda thunk that Canada has a higher rate of violent crime per 100,000 persons than the US, ay? 935 to 466 . . . more than twice as high. Must be that Second Amendment at work down here. ;)

well, we also beat you at fucking your moms so... ;D
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:You could actually view this as those countries having the most intolerance towards violent crime, therefore creating laws that sweep the spectrum of violent crime and thereby crank up the numbers of what is interpreted as a violent crime under the law.

Slapping your husband in public in canada could get you charged with assault for instance whether the husband wants to lay charges or not. You are effectively against the crown in canada.
this is only one example.
;D

That's sort of what I figured and why I found the figures so suspect. "Violent Crime" is an ambiguous term so without clarificatoin, the numbers don't really say much at all.

I hate innumeracy.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 pm

Woohoo We're number 1! We're number 1!
er...wait i've just been informed this isn't something to be proud of. Dam!
What the hell...we're number 1!
AllanF

Postby vadaga on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
grzegorz wrote:

YM FTW! 8-)
Last edited by vadaga on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:46 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
grzegorz wrote:

BITCH...go make me some maple syrup and pancakes. ;D
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:50 am

grzegorz wrote:
Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
grzegorz wrote: Hey the Canadians finally beat us at something.

BITCH...go make me some maple syrup and pancakes. ;D

No way, Darth is into unprocessed food ;)
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:16 am

maple syrup maybe, but pancakes? Those are obese people food. I can't eat those so I ain't making you any. Besides, you should be happy just with the cock you've been given to eat. ;D

shazam!
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Kato on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:20 am

maple syrup maybe, but pancakes? Those are obese people food. I can't eat those so I ain't making you any. Besides, you should be happy just with the cock you've been given to eat.

you heard it hear kids. Darth won't feed anyone anything he wouldn't gladly eat himself.
Old wood to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old books to read
Kato
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 am

Couple of thoughts on this.

First, the overall rate of violent crime is less in the States, and a couple of people have mentioned this, because an armed population whose laws encourage you in many places to defend yourself (whereas in the UK this is an iffy legal proposition) tend to result in deadly force being applied when violent does break out.

Second, the US has a much higher rate of incarceration. We jail people all the time. In most places in Europe and the UK theft and even breaking and entering will result in a criminal record, fines, and probation. Not usually jail time unless it is for something really expensive or really violent. If you are caught breaking and entering in the US you are going to jail for at least some period of time. This is a major incentive to not get caught.

Frankly, thieves tend to be much more careful about who they rob and when here in the US. Home invasions largely don't happen in the US for all of these reasons as well. If you break into my house in Texas while I am there, I have the right to kill you. I will not be prosecuted or face civil charges either. If you survive that, you will spend a long period of time in prison in the US. That won't happen in the UK.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:04 am

Kato wrote:
maple syrup maybe, but pancakes? Those are obese people food. I can't eat those so I ain't making you any. Besides, you should be happy just with the cock you've been given to eat.

you heard it hear kids. Darth won't feed anyone anything he wouldn't gladly eat himself.

well, nothing your mom won't eat. I don't go for red meat myself. But your mom loves it! ;D

(come git some canada danger!!awww yeah!) lol
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic