Google Chrome OS

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Google Chrome OS

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:12 am

Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: Google Chrome OS

Postby everything on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:28 am

i do like the chrome browser and the google search engine, but why i'd run chrome os on a netbook instead of ubuntu linux isn't really clear, and why i'd use an android phone instead of iphone or blackberry seems totally unclear. google really is becoming the new microsoft and is becoming somewhat annoying in certain cases. from a business point of view, it makes some sense to attack windows and office, but the silicon valley anti-msft culture is probably irrational. perhaps that is one of the key contributions of schmidt (novell ceo, and apple board member. incidentally when will apple remove him now that google is more directly competing with apple?).
Last edited by everything on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:33 am

open office crushes office.

just sayin...

(ps it's free! opens all ms office files and saves to ms office format in all versions)

gnu and open source is superior.

fuck google. good maps, great search engine, they can bite my ass on the rest of it.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:24 pm

A nice assessment from http://asserttrue.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... arter.html:
The only hope Google has of differentiating itself in this market is to offer a jaw-dropping user experience, something so compelling that nothing else even compares. In other words, they have to out-Apple Apple. I have yet to see Google do that -- with anything. Maybe this time they'll pull off a miracle. But somehow I doubt it.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:08 pm

google is a disparate group of nerds and interns, with a few code hackers of some merit and a marketing department filled with hawks.

they do not have the programming power to pull it off in my opinion.

I'll take windows 7 thank you very much. so far, the beta is wicked!

super fast, can take a load of ram superior to any xp box and takes all the good from xp and all the good from vista and all the good from server 2008 and rolls it up into an OS that makes OSX look like shit.

in short, it's cool.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:31 pm

hmm haven't had a chance to try it
everything
Wuji

Postby ashe on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:open office crushes office.

just sayin...

(ps it's free! opens all ms office files and saves to ms office format in all versions)

gnu and open source is superior.

qft

also, didn't apple and google merge or at least team up?
Last edited by ashe on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:49 pm

It'll be interesting to see how all this sorts out over time. Mickeysoft has pissed off enough people in enough different ways that they have created a counter-market for anything NOT Microsoft. That's quite an achievement, rivaled, in my experience, only by the reasons why I haven't bought an American car in the last twenty or so years.

I'm typing this on a Windows XP box, but there is no way I'm going to Vista. On the desk next to this box is another running Ubuntu. One of these days I'm going to put the disk in the Windows machine and tell it to devour and destroy Windows. I use Open Office for officey stuff. The joke that was Internet Explorer 8 got me back onto Mozilla.

The trick is going to be making Linux friendly enough for the Mickeysoft customer, which is what Chrome tries to do. I'm not bothered by the technically rich side of Linux, but then I was a Unix apps developer for years. If Chrome has succeeded in hiding all the grotty bits where the user doesn't see them, then I predict a bright future for it.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Yeah, Google competes with M$oft in terms of monopoly. But, it doesn't charge for the applications it offers; so, it doesn't make much sense to complain about free stuff, and then use it. I agree that the basic advantage a Google OS would be if it's simpler, smaller and more user-friendly than Linux. All this is possible, especially since one of Google's ideas is to have applications reside online.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Steve James wrote: All this is possible, especially since one of Google's ideas is to have applications reside online.

actually the line is blurring even more than that, as there's a new application which allows you to develop desktop applications using html, css, php, etc. in other words it allows folks who's realm has strictly been web development to develop for the pc.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic