Mir vs. Lesnar 2

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Mir vs. Lesnar 2

Postby everything on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 pm

Not planning to watch this fight til later but ...

Lesnar seems way too big, strong, and explosive for even better boxing and jiu jitsu to overcome but I hope Mir finds a way to win again.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Mir vs. Lesnar 2

Postby Pat on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:26 pm

I want Mir to win as well.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby Areios on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:19 am

Well i want to Mir win, but if he cannot put that mentality in he's head. He will not going to make it.
Areios
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:07 am

He says since his accident, even taking a beatdown from Lesnar did not crush his will to keep trying to submit, submit, submit, and he proved it to everyone last time. This guy is mentally tough, for sure. I just have to assume Lesnar has better submission defense now. Of course if Mir's kickboxing is even better now than when he beat Nog (not that nog could ever box), it could make a big difference. I hope he can show great technical striking beating massive size, great athleticism and explosiveness.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:57 am

Alas, I fear for Mir....
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 am

I am in for Mir aswell. He believes he will catch Lesner in the same move again...? Then he can tell world that Lesner is a freak and learned nothing.

He seems to have a great game...mentally. The trash talk is brilliant.

Lesner's wife just had a kid. Which some of us can tell you that it ruins your focus.

But, when I watched the prefight interviews. Mir seems to have his number. Not the least bit afraid or reserved. Spike ran a show on Monday, showing the two watching the last fight. Mir, described the event perfectly. Explaining why his foot was there and why he was pushing this or that. But, the point he made that echoed with me. He said as the juggernaut was raining deathblows from above, they hurt but he never was dazed, or flustered. He just was waiting for his Xmas present.

The other WWF guy? something Jocyelen? He just knocked out Bob Sapp(what's Bob weight??350?). His record is 4 and O. He wants Lesner when Mir is done, win or lose. This is turning into a freak show. They need to make another weight catagory, before somebody gets hurt bad...
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:41 am

If Mir can't sink a lock and sub, he will lose. Lesnar has a size and strength advantage that cannot be undersold.

If Lesnar has tightened up his anti-sub fighting routines and upped his time in with sub fighting then Mir is fucked and it doesn't matter if he's scared or not, Lesnar will win.

Having said that, I'm always up for cheering a miracle! lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:45 am

I'm guessing the fight will go like the first one did before the sub. You'll notice that Brock was basically pounding the shit out of Mir and taking him down at will. It was his own mistakes that did him in--punching Mir in the back of the head which prevented the ground 'n pound finish right there and of course standing up to get caught in a leg lock.

Either way though, let the best man win.

I wish they would set up Bobby Lashley vs Lesnar next.
Chris Fleming

Postby Bhassler on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:48 pm

The other WWE guy is Bobby Lashley-- a very well spoken and articulate young man who was a competitive wrestler for something like 14 years before taking the job with the WWE. I think Lesnar started out as a pure athlete whereas Lashley at least had a significant background in combat sports.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 pm

Lashley and Lesnar seem to have similar backgrounds. From Wikipedia, Lesnar also has an extensive background in amateur wrestling:

Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999. Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota.[3] Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Conference Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106–5 overall in four years of college.[17]
everything
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:13 pm

106 and 5? Damn. That's good...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:24 am

yeah and get some juice also :)
Areios
Wuji

Postby Dr.Rob on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:28 am

Lashely...thank you the name escaped me. According to a "Internet" source! Must be valid look at us.

Feder is done with Affliction next month. He was promised the Brock if he is the loser as his UFC entry level fight...I think these are more rumours then spec's? Dana White is going to make us all pay for the spectale!

http://www.myvideofight.com if you miss anything or need a recap...
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:30 am

"The other WWF guy? something Jocyelen?"

Chris Fleming

Postby everything on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:04 am

I watched the weigh-in and some highlight videos. Lesnar is great at rushing in like a football (American) player, and has that giant right hand. Mir was right in that Lesnar's ground n pound is basically little tiny hammer fists (for some reason - not sure why Lesnar wouldn't use bigger blows). He called it more annoying than anything and he is probably mostly telling the truth from what you can see on video. If Mir has been doing his homework (surely he has), he and his coaches have figured out some defenses for rushing (how about tomoe nage?) and avoiding that giant right (footwork and head movement). The more I watch these clips, the more I think Mir is right in that he could actually use the "sweet science" to keep Lesnar off balance and off rhythm for setting up the giant killer right. ...also this may be wishful thinking a bit but that was an obvious flaw of Couture's and Mir seems a lot smarter (and younger and stronger)... go Mir!
Last edited by everything on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic