drunk guy makes racial slurs, ends w/ bjj.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

drunk guy makes racial slurs, ends w/ bjj.

Postby everything on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:59 pm

the account from the bjj guy at http://www.angryasianman.com/2009/07/vi ... -with.html
I recently heard from Stephen, a Korean American attorney who lives on Wall Street in New York City's Financial District, who tells us this crazy story about some drunk, racist fool who picked a fight with him, but ended up getting a face full of floor when Stephen got all Brazilian Jiu-jitsu on his ass:

am a Korean-American attorney who lives on Wall Street in the Financial District of NY. I was out getting some icecream late at night at the corner store when I was approached by a big drunk guy who asked me if I was Korean. He went on to tell me that his wife is Korean so he "knows all about Koreans". I tried to humor him and nod but he started getting offensive saying that Koreans get pushed around all the time but never fight back. Then he started telling me all Korean parents are insane.

At that point, I told him I didn't want to continue talking to him and left the store. He followed me out onto a dark street off of Wall Street and started getting in my face. I told him to take a step back and he socked me in the face. I used to box in college so I responded with a pretty brutal set of punches that put him on the ground and told him the fight was over.

As I walked away, he got up and followed me into my apartment building at 63 Wall Street. I tried to get the doorman to call the police but he refused because apparently the guy lives in the building. The drunk guy then came at me again and hit me in the mouth, breaking one of my front teeth off, and called me a chink. We ended up fighting on the ground where I subdued him using Brazilian Jiujutsu and MMA. I held him in a chokehold and told him I'd kill him before the police arrive if he didn't stop struggling and clawing at my eyes.

This happened about two months ago, but he just got the video above from the prosecutor handling the case. The quality isn't very good, and it's a little hard to tell what's happening, but there's a obviously a pretty fierce struggle on the ground for several minutes.

My favorite part is a toss up between the guy behind the desk who is of no help at all, and the people who walk through the door and literally step over the fight like nothing out of the ordinary is going on.

Stephen, both an attorney and a practitioner of martial arts, apparently sued both his attacker and the building for a tidy sum. It appears that fool picked the wrong Korean guy to mess with.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: drunk guy makes racial slurs, ends w/ bjj.

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:41 pm

Doorman gets passivity award.
Michael

Postby cerebus on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Holy crap. What a dick that doorman was! Wouldn't even call the friggin' cops??! I can see him being all wimpy and not wanting to get into the middle of the fight, but damn dude, at least take the effort to call the police!
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Waitaminit. Just finished watching the vid. Apparently someone (presumably the doorman?) DID call the police..
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:10 pm

i can't believe the others just walked right by. note to self not to expect any help. but yeah, a doorman should call and at least say two guys are fighting. maybe he did after a bit. it looks like he is on the phone and then the cops do show up.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:11 pm

Yeah, you really should never expect anyone to actually try to break a fight up. It often won't happen... :-\
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:17 pm

I don't blame anyone, even a cop, for not wanting to get in the middle of two people who obviously want to pound each other's brains out.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Looks like the door man was ordering a pizza. Hey, all that sitting makes you fucking hungry! The best part was the other people walking by. There was a certain video which has forever stuck in my mind--a guy in a fast food place got into some argument with a very large guy and the large guy proceeded to beat the shit out of the other guy. The place was crowded. No one did a damn thing. That's key to understand--no one is going to fucking do anything to help you, so you best be decisive in your actions, whatever they are.

Actually, the more people around you the LESS likely someone is going to help you. I think things like this was talked about in Gladwell's book "The Tipping Point", where tests were set up to mimic a real life event where people did nothing to help a woman being repeatedly stabbed in the street. The test showed that a group of people created an inertia where everyone, upon hearing someone being attacked in the next room, just sat there, all looking at each other and all thinking that SURELY, someone has already called the cops. A single person was much more likely to get off his or her ass and see what was going on.

In this clip, we see sort of see both going on. Which brings me back to my first point, you have to take care of yourself.
Chris Fleming

Postby Interloper on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:20 pm

WTF? Think the doorman will get lots of tips at Christmas? And you'd think that that doofus of a bigoted drunk would at least get his racial slurs right! ;)

I guess fights and attacks and racism are all part of a normal day in NYC or perhaps any very large city, and people don't even blink. It's kind of a big-city phenomenon. Years ago I had a broken leg and was on crutches, commuting to my work in a large city. It was late on a rainy January evening and the lobby floor was wet and slippery, and my crutches kept slipping out from under me, sending me to the ground. Not only did the (several) "security" guards and doormen totally ignore me, but a woman - dressed in business attire - cursed at me when she tripped over my prostrate body, and when I stuck one of my crutches into an elevator door to keep it from closing as I crawled to it, the nattily-dressed lawyer-type man standing in it did nothing to stop the door. So, a doorman doing nothing when a fight breaks out in the lobby is not a stretch of the imagination.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:40 pm

"Koreans get pushed around all the time but never fight back" !? I think the bigot got his racial stereotypes all mixed up.
I don't know a whole lot of Koreans but that does not fit the image of Koreans I know. Maybe Koreans in the East Coast tends to be more mellow? I still remember when they had riots in LA the Korean gunshop owners were passing out guns to their neighbors to defend their homes. That was way cool.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:18 am

I love it when he gets the mount. The other guy seems to thinking, "I showed him" and then someone is sitting on top of him raining down punches.

But yeah watching the doorman clean his glasses you'd think you were watching two different videos at once. Is it hard to believe that people would just walk on by but I think some how in people's minds when they walk in on two people fighting they automatically assume that those involved are both guilty of doing something bad.

I think it's people way of not getting involved and not feeling guilty.

Basically the public sucks and yes this video shows that you have to know how to defend yourself because no one else will.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:54 am

People are fucking useless when you're in trouble and that idea about the more people the less likely you are to receive help is so true.

I once found myself in one of the worst areas of London early on a Sunday morning being chased around a car by a psycho waving a big piece of wood who wanted to bash my brains out (long story). There were people everywhere, market stalls by the side of the road, lots of traffic, and people did nothing, didn't even look at me. I screamed at people standing there chatting on their mobile phones to call the police and they did nothing. In the end I outran him.

That spooked me. That's one of the reasons I took up this stuff, I realised you can never rely on anyone else to help you when you're in trouble.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:32 am

This doorman forgot his duty is to secure safe entrance of the building. They sure dont pay him for watching free MMA demo or competition. Bad....very bad....

Over
Overlord

Postby everything on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:15 am

one tip i learned somewhere regarding any emergency is you never say "someone" call 911 or whatever. you look tell a specific person to do whatever action is needed.
everything
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:40 am

everything wrote:one tip i learned somewhere regarding any emergency is you never say "someone" call 911 or whatever. you look tell a specific person to do whatever action is needed.

Good point. If you single out a particular person and ORDER them to call 911, it's at least a bit more likely they'll actually do it.
cerebus
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic