drunk guy makes racial slurs, ends w/ bjj.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: drunk guy makes racial slurs, ends w/ bjj.

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:51 am

Interloper wrote:Years ago I had a broken leg and was on crutches, commuting to my work in a large city. It was late on a rainy January evening and the lobby floor was wet and slippery, and my crutches kept slipping out from under me, sending me to the ground. Not only did the (several) "security" guards and doormen totally ignore me, but a woman - dressed in business attire - cursed at me when she tripped over my prostrate body, and when I stuck one of my crutches into an elevator door to keep it from closing as I crawled to it, the nattily-dressed lawyer-type man standing in it did nothing to stop the door. So, a doorman doing nothing when a fight breaks out in the lobby is not a stretch of the imagination.

That sucks, Interloper!
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby cerebus on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:07 pm

Yeah, I've been in a few recent "situations" (such as they were) where I was the only one to say anything. All of them involved crazy/ drunk guys being threatening and belligerent. In each case, the guy was barely able to stand, much less fight, but no one would say anything, even when the guy would try and intimidate some girl. In each case all I had to do was tell the guy that he needed to move on, wait for him to finish talking shit to me to feel like he'd re-gained "face" and put me in my place, and then he left. Quite often, all you have to do is stand up and say "No" and that can solve the problem.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Michael,
I do believe that many people who live and work in large metropolises become innured to the mishaps of people around them. If you help one, there're going to be zillions more who need help, and then what do you do? Maybe the average urban joe is overwhelmed by that, and it's easier to simply shut out what goes on around you.

My experience in smaller cities and towns (such as the one where I live) has been much different. In my home city, you often read in the paper how a stranger helped out another stranger in the situations you mentioned -- such as a cellphone thief or purse snather. And when I had my broken leg and had to haul heavy mail tubs to my car at the post office in a small town, everyone who saw me rushed to open doors, carry the tubs and open my car door. Maybe the lesser stresses of small-city/town life make it easier to make an effort to help one another even when they are strangers.

That's not to say that no one in the big cities would do the same; a lot of small-town and rural people move to the city, and take their values with them. And some city-born natives were just raised with "help others" values. Some refuse to give up their humanity despite what they personally experience in the city, and those are the ones you read about who tackle a would-be mugger on a subway train, or call 911 when they see a person being beaten in the street. It's just unfortunate that the lawyer in the OP's story didn't happen to have any of those nice folks around when he needed help. Not that he really needed help... ;) Though he might have avoided losing that front tooth if help had arrived.
Last edited by Interloper on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:22 pm

In all fairness to the passersby or at least to play devil's advocate it probably wasn't readily apparent that there was a victim and assailant or if there was - who was who and might have just been perceived as two idiots fighting. After all the concierge was apparently doing nothing. Hard to fathom that.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 pm

true, if you walked up how would you know whose fault it was? we supposedly have one guy's account but it'd be hard to tell. in that case calling the police and letting them sort it out would probably be better.

anton hardonk did help that stranger after the muggers decided to move on from attempting to mug him, but that case seems like quite an anomaly for several reasons.
Last edited by everything on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:28 am

Showed this to my BJJ coach and this is what he saw go down.

Looked like Triangle to Oma plata to Mount, maybe Ezequiel to taking the back. That's how it goes down. Good example why it is necessary to train with the Gi.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:08 pm

lol can't (well actually i can) believe he saw all that. of course, wonder what your judo or SC coach would say. from that perspective, i don't think all that groundwork should even have been necessary. if you can't take down a drunk not much bigger than you right into a hold that doesn't require you be groundfighting, something else seems wrong. maybe the guy was not that drunk.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Maybe the BJJ guy was a beginner with only a few classes under his belt...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:17 pm

cerebus wrote:Maybe the BJJ guy was a beginner with only a few classes under his belt...

Exactly, a few things are happening in the vid.

(As far as techniques he also goes for a sweep which doesn't work and when the drunk tries to roll the two of them over the BJJ guy opens his knees and stays on top.)

One as Troy says I have a feeling he probably hasn't trained too much after all he's a lawyer. How much free time do you think he sets aside if he's making $400 an hour?

Two you can't underestimate the strength of someone in a real fight. It's one thing to train with your friends it's another thing when someone really wants to hurt you.

Three the truth is judo/bjj a lot of times a white belt can be the most dangerous person on the met because their bodies aren't trained to react the way you'd expect them too so sometimes it's not as easy as it looks.

It may not look beautiful but 0f course things could have gone the other way, but the way see it it this example is the guy's training saved him from becoming a victim and he managed to subdue the drunk without hurting him (from what I can tell) saving himself from also sitting in front of a judge.

We've recently had a case in California where two guys got in a fight and one punch killed a guy, needless to say he's going to spend some time in the pen. It's kind of hard to explain to a jury that you were acting in self-defense when the result is death.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:22 pm

agree with all your points and observations. that last one is a great argument for jiu jitsu or any "soft" art. some control via mount or whatever better than accidental death and subsequent prison term. $400/hour yeah, that is the really funny part. he defends himself physically, then successfully sues. talk about successful self defense.
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:34 pm

everything wrote:agree with all your points and observations. that last one is a great argument for jiu jitsu or any "soft" art. some control via mount or whatever better than accidental death and subsequent prison term. $400/hour yeah, that is the really funny part. he defends himself physically, then successfully sues. talk about successful self defense.

Yeah and I hear your criticism of the long scuffle. If Patrick Swayze had been the doorman he would have kicked both their asses in seconds and had them out on the pavement for the cops to take away!

First to the hospital and then to jail!
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:35 pm

I don't think the "drunk guy" was that drunk. The footage of the aggressor coming at the Korean guy, the Korean guy backs up, puts his hand out on the other guy's chest, then backs up again, is probably gonna be worth $$ in court.
Michael

Postby cerebus on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Michael wrote:The footage of the aggressor coming at the Korean guy, the Korean guy backs up, puts his hand out on the other guy's chest, then backs up again, is probably gonna be worth $$ in court.

YUP! Whenever possible always make sure that it is clear to all witnesses (including potential security cams) that you DO NOT WANT TO FIGHT (yelling it loudly & repeatedly while kicking your attackers ass) ;)
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:44 pm

cerebus wrote:
Michael wrote:The footage of the aggressor coming at the Korean guy, the Korean guy backs up, puts his hand out on the other guy's chest, then backs up again, is probably gonna be worth $$ in court.

YUP! Whenever possible always make sure that it is clear to all witnesses (including potential security cams) that you DO NOT WANT TO FIGHT (yelling it loudly & repeatedly while kicking your attackers ass) ;)

That's the truth. You yell "Please stop! I DON'T want to fight! Please don't hurt me! Please don't hit me! Ow! You're hurting me!" That's what witnesses will remember. ;)

Flashback to Jackie Chan's first (I think) English-language movie, "The Big Brawl." Chan is kicking the asses of the thugs sent to mug him, all the while pretending it's just accidental slips and 3-Stooges-type mishaps... all to convince his pacifist father (who's watching) that he is NOT fighting. ;D
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic