martial arts vacations

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: martial arts vacations

Postby chud on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:35 pm

It's a great idea, I wish I had done it when I was younger. Not necessarily to the countries he lists in the article, but at least to some of the more interesting seminars here in the states.
If I didn't have young children, I would be doing it right now.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Malaysia, Taiwan, Russia, Serbia, France, UK and Germany are all of my list for this sort of thing.
Ian

Postby cerebus on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:54 pm

If I had the money, I'd love to train Silat in Indonesia or Malaysia.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Jonny on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:54 am

That would be fun, but wouldn't it be better if you could visit a place and train a style that you are already training in?
For instance rather than going to France and train Savate, you go to Taiwan or China and train XXX? Whatever your style may be.
Jonny
Mingjing

Postby Jonny on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:55 am

That would be fun, but wouldn't it be better if you could visit a place and train a style that you are already training in?
For instance rather than going to France and train Savate, you go to Taiwan or China and train XXX? Whatever your style may be.
Jonny
Mingjing

Postby yusuf on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:33 am

hey

there is overlap in a lot of this stuff. I was asking my teacher about the linkage between the filipino knife drills and ba gua. He broke down the differences and took some time to show the tactics and applications of cheng bagua are more similar to the (non pukulan) Indonesian Silat. (Wrapping, coiling, twisitng etc) than FMA.

So yup, travel good...

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:39 am

Jonny wrote:That would be fun, but wouldn't it be better if you could visit a place and train a style that you are already training in?

Yeah, there are lots of places I'd like to go to train lots of things, but even for my chosen martial art (Cheng Man Ching Tai Chi) Malaysia has some top-notch instructors from what I hear. Still, I've always found Silat to be interesting stuff...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:46 am

The Jiulong Baguazhang association has a week long training camp the Gathering of the Circle that is held yearly as has been since the taiji farm days.

A week full of training, meeting others who train from all over the world, and getting training time with Dr. Painter and Shifu Robert Castaldo.

You really do not have to travel to those nations to train.

Training and sightseeing are two totally different animals.

I would rather train.

but thats me.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:52 am

I prefer what we pretty much naturally (well some of us) have fallen into, and that is utilizing RSF to make our own training vacations. That's pretty much the only sort of vacation I take anymore. Go to some town, have plans to meet with a couple of practitioners and hang out a little, see if there are any famous teachers there to check out, or plan the RSF meetups around a seminar.

It's pretty organic like that. I like the idea better than some big orchestrated event.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 pm

Kunming "The Spring City" has the ideal climate for summer practice. What do you want do do or what teacher would you like to have? My job (for the moment) is to arrange groups and stuff in China. Maybe I can arrange something. What about an RSF/EF gathering in China next summer or so? (a big orchestrated something that the former poster don't like ;D )
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic