R.I.P. Walter Cronkite

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

R.I.P. Walter Cronkite

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:08 pm

For those of ya'll who can remember when there was really news. At least, during his heyday there was someone/something that you could believe. For those of ya'll born in the MTV-personality news era, you'll never know what you missed.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: R.I.P. Walter Cronkite

Postby Interloper on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Anyone old enough to remember "You Were There," the short films (always showed on movie screens in the school classroom) where Walter interviewed a historic figure, such as Joan of Arc, Benedict Arnold or other (often ill-fated) famous person?

Rest in Peace, Mr. Cronkite.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:17 pm

yes, his passing really saddened me.

i'd say he'll be missed...but he has already been missed, imo. i used to watch him every night after dinner, in college. integrity, is the word that comes to my mind.

RIP
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:29 pm

He was the real deal with real class. RIP
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Anyone old enough to remember "You Were There,"

Funny you should ask. I was watching an episode of the show on 11/22/63 when the news that the president had been shot came on. It was about the Revolutionary War, but I never saw the end. The other event, of course, was the moon landing. Both are indelibly linked with Cronkite.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:47 pm

for anyone who's interested in seeing some highlight clips of walter cronkite:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts424
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:41 am

Weird I should have nostalgia for the era of Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley, and Chancellor. Their integrity and dignity somehow made me feel safer as a kid listening to reports of the Vietnam War and other turbulent news.
Chris McKinley

Postby Interloper on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:35 am

Chris McKinley wrote:Weird I should have nostalgia for the era of Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley, and Chancellor. Their integrity and dignity somehow made me feel safer as a kid listening to reports of the Vietnam War and other turbulent news.

I think that the rapid-fire, short-attentionspan-theater aspects of today's mass media make the television milieu inhospitable to that kind of thoughtful journalism and journalist. Unfortunate, but probably people of that quality now would go into a medium where they can express themselves as they wish, such as via Internet blogging. ;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:39 am

I remember when the CBS Evening News was with Walter. Then I remember Dan Rather taking over, and even though I didn't make it a habit of watching the news (I was still a kid) it felt weird to have this new guy in Cronkite's place.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:56 am

Old news men like Walter Cronkite RIP old Sir- had ethics, integrity and a sense of balance in reporting.
No more honest reporting in America- only political media lap dogs and talking wonks..

I think Africa may still have some honest reporters though. Recently saw a lady reporter startle the hell out of a CNN fake reporter by telling the truth live.. :)
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:11 am

Mr,Cronkite served the propaganda masters of America as well. He wasn't really hard hitting and he went along with the FCC like everyone else.

He was a fixture and he comforted people with his reassurance, but a reporter with integrity and ethics? There hasn't been one of those in big media, probably ever.
Or maybe there has, but their stories don't get published and if they dig too hard they wind up working serving cocktails or entrees.

just sayin...
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:00 pm

I thought then and still think now that Cronkite's expressing his opinion about the Vietnam War in 1968 was pretty ballsy in context, revealed his integrity and ethics and had a significant ripple effect. Remember that Cronkite had widespread appeal and spoke to a cross section of America. "Hard hitting" reporters are usually just preaching to the choir.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Agreed, dragontigerpalm. Today, there's no one is news media without varying degrees of an agenda, and the "hard hitters" looking to make a name for themselves and their careers can be some of the worst. Everybody up and down the line on both sides is a shill for something. Still, there has never been a country with a freer press than the U.S., nor a country which has had more influence for greater press freedom worldwide. The concept of a free press is a little like Churchill's statement that, "Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.".
Chris McKinley

Return to Off the Topic