Spyderco Warrior

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Spyderco Warrior

Postby Dubster on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:02 am

Hi,

Anyone seen the Spyderco Warrior:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39117

Its a curious piece (not my cup'o'tea) allegedly designed for Israeli Spec Ops teams. I can't quite get my head round the reverse grip design (ie I would want something that worked either way). Anyone explain why they would be designed like this and what the advantages would be compared to a more standard fairburn type knife?

Also interested in any history of the design or general info on grip preferences.

Cheers

D
Dubster
Anjing

Re: Spyderco Warrior

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:33 am

It's not necessarily designed for reverse grip use, it's just almost exclusively a slashing weapon...kind of a mini-scimitar with a flat grind. Looks nice and sturdy, which I give extra credit for. I like a nice thick spine and the hilt is generous for real protection. The design is simple and elegant. Ultimately though, I don't like a weapon that's exclusively for slashing. However politically incorrect, a real combat knife has an inherent need for discreet, even surreptitious, use, and nothing produces a quicker elimination than a deep thrust. Additionally, there isn't (generally) the kind of superficial blood loss that occurs with lethal slashes.

All of which leads me to ask....what, praytell, are you needing with an anti-personnel knife of this sort? That's not meant to be big brother-ish, just looking for clarification.
Chris McKinley

Postby Dubster on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:59 am

Hi Mr McK,

I am not needing one.

I really like Spyderco knives but find this one very ugly and menacing and just wanted to know a bit more about it (and you can't talk about fighting knives where I first saw it). Its design seems so specific I finding it slightly unbelievable (like a fantasy type design) so wanted to check here - your post above is pretty helpful.

FWIW my EDC's would be a swiss army knife or a Native

Many thanks

D
Dubster
Anjing

Postby yusuf on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:07 pm

is that a pikal type knife, where the main damage is done on the return slash?
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Dubster,

Cool. That knife is a follow-up to the Hobbit Warrior (sp?) that Spyderco had a few years back. The design is just a little too fantasy-based for my tastes, but not for the aesthetics; for the function. Again, it's pretty much a slash-only kinda blade. That tip is barely there for more than decoration. You really can't talk about fighting knives at the Spyderco forum???? Weird.

yusuf,

Nah, that inside back edge is just serration to make it useful as something other than an anti-personnel knife. Cutting rope, small vine/twig, cardboard box, etc.
Chris McKinley

Postby yusuf on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:36 pm

cheers.... :)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic