African-American Scholar Arrested For Entering His Own Home

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: African-American Scholar Arrested For Entering His Own Home

Postby zenshiite on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm

chud wrote:
zenshiite wrote:I'm beginning to think you have a basic inability at reading comprehension here Chud. You keep coming back to this fantastical notion that Gates didn't show his ID and in fact, refused to do so upon request. According to Gates' testimony the only thing he refused to do was step out onto the porch of his home when the police officer's introduction into the situation was to immediately ask him to step out onto the porch. When he was asked for identification he then politely closed the front door to proceed to his kitchen to retrieve his identification, which he then presented to the officer.

It wasn't until after he'd shown his ID, was lured onto the porch and then arrested by the initial officer and 5 or 6 additional officers, according to his statement, that he said anything about race being a factor.

I think that the reverse is true, your account of the incident does not match up at all with what I have been reading on all the major news sites.

I'm just reiterating Gates' account that Steve posted earlier in the thread.

Secondhand sources, or straight from the proverbial horse's mouth? I'm going with the proverbial horse.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby dragontigerpalm on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 pm

According to the statements of both responding police officers Professor Gates initially refused to but subsequently did provide ID. Neither Professor Gates nor his attorney have denied or refuted those statements but stated instead that ID was provided. As for horse's mouth testimony Professor Gates in his statement made a deliberate albeit creative point about being a small man because he said that the call to the police described two large black men when in fact no such thing occured.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Well, he wasn't charged with or arrested for failing to show identification. Id "was" provded. The police report indicates that he refused to allow the officer to enter the premises, and came back to open his door to show his Harvard id, then his driver's license.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Crowley should not attend. Any street cop knows better than to walk in when you are outnumbered.

Although, one cop against two race-baiting political pimps? Hmm. Think I'll bet on the cop.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:30 pm

klonk wrote:Crowley should not attend. Any street cop knows better than to walk in when you are outnumbered.

Although, one cop against two race-baiting political pimps? Hmm. Think I'll bet on the cop.

heck, klonk, i dunno if i'm getting the substance of your message but... i think it's good the gentlemen can have a beer.

trying to get things together, is a lot better than the alternative, in my mind.

i may be missing something in your post, but i don't see a problem with trying to resolve a "racial incident" in some constructive way.

obama's objective should be to make things better, in whatever way he legally and humanely can. that's my apprehension of his intent in this instance.
Last edited by internalenthusiast on Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:38 am, edited 8 times in total.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:55 am

I think it's cool that they'll sit and have a beer. I would like to hear the conversation they have.

the beer hall race relations meeting.

man, that will be an opposing view on hitler's beer hall doings won't it? lol

Also, I don't think America is over it's internal strife with racism just because Obama got elected.

There are areas fo America (and Canada for that matter) where racism is alive and well.
And it's not the "white" variety either. There's all kinds of racism.

The PC nonsense has helped to alleviate some of it, but in all seriousness, the current power generation will have to die off before the problem goes away.
I'm not too worried about the kids these days, most of them don't give a shit about race and tribalism and such, so they will be free of the chains on their minds I think. I hope.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:56 am

What I was noticing in that article was that they finally mentioned and quoted the woman who phoned the police about a possible breakin. She states that when she called, she did not mention skin color or ethnicity/"race" at all, just that they were two men. But the dispatcher kept pressing her to describe their "race," until she finally said that one "might be Hispanic." The playing-back of the call confirmed this exchange.

The woman, a Harvard administrator, was extremely upset that the event took on a racial focus, and that she was tagged as having said "two black men." And she didn't even get invited to have a beer with Obama, after all the bruhaha.
Last edited by Interloper on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:14 am

T'was a comedy of errors. The biggest being the gross generalizations about "race" and "racism" and looking for who was wrong, instead of looking at the individuals as people. Did someone say "Rashomon"?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:34 am

Maybe the outcome will be an eventual Obama appointment of Prof. Gates and Sgt. Crowley to kewl advisory posts. And the lady who made the phone call will be sent a case of her favorite brewskis. :)

Oh, "Rashomon," what a movie. The story is timeless, and you're right -- it's all a matter of personal, very subjective, perspective.
Last edited by Interloper on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:45 am

Com'on people and the rest of America, 6 pages , 2 weeks, to talk about he simplicity of the truth . I own this house, I have proof, go away.In this situation, no matter how rude I am, I have broken no laws . Obama was right the officer was stupid enough to let his pride be insulted by the beligerent outrage of an honest Negro. Did you think the Negro would go away because we've been raped , lynched , beaten , downtrodden, throughout the history of this young country, our qualification cannot be destroyed , we are not immigrants, we have been here since this Nations inception, we are part of the fabric of this Nation, we are not Native Americans but we are the Original Americans. And finally if we follow the One Drop rule created during the Jim Crow days then by now , we are all Negro, so that in itself should kill the racial issues.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby chud on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:03 pm

klonk wrote:Crowley should not attend. Any street cop knows better than to walk in when you are outnumbered.

I don't think Crowley should attend either. After some of the things they've said, Gates and Obama need this meeting more than he does.
chud
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic