California apologizes to Chinese Americans

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

California apologizes to Chinese Americans

Postby everything on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090721/u ... 9191198100

On July 17, the California legislature quietly approved a landmark bill to apologize to the state's Chinese-American community for racist laws enacted as far back as the mid–19th century Gold Rush, which attracted about 25,000 Chinese from 1849 to 1852. The laws, some of which were not repealed until the 1940s, barred Chinese from owning land or property, marrying whites, working in the public sector and testifying against whites in court. The new bill also recognizes the contributions Chinese immigrants have made to the state, particularly their work on the Transcontinental Railroad.

With the California bill in the bag, Fong now plans to take the issue to Congress, where he will request an apology for the Chinese Exclusion Act, the only federal law ever enacted to deny immigration based exclusively on race or nationality. Passed in 1882, the law was not fully repealed until 1943, after China and the U.S. became allies in WWII.
Last edited by everything on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: California apologizes to Chinese Americans

Postby Bill on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:26 pm

What a wonderful waste of our legislators time and money.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Never knew about that. Thanks for the info.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:41 pm

With the California bill in the bag, Fong now plans to take the issue to Congress, where he will request an apology for the Chinese Exclusion Act, the only federal law ever enacted to deny immigration based exclusively on race or nationality. Passed in 1882, the law was not fully repealed until 1943, after China and the U.S. became allies in WWII.

I do?? when did I find time for that??? ;D
Last edited by nianfong on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby zenshiite on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Bill wrote:What a wonderful waste of our legislators time and money.

I don't think so. It's an important symbolic act and official recognition of a disgusting crime committed by our government. There need to be more such apologies issued. There also need to be some legal actions taken on certain other issues pertaining to the legacy of crimes committed by our government over the years. Such as treaties being honored and lands being returned to their rightful owners. The Treaty of Ft Laramie springs immediately to mind and the Great Souix Reservation.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby chud on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:05 pm

::)
chud
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:03 pm

^

::)
Last edited by zenshiite on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Chanchu on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 pm

I don't think that any current politicals in the Californa Legislator who are flapping their gums about this have oppressed any Chinese people.

To me its a waste of time- California is broke not interested in paying for politicals to waste more time. I don't buy collective guilt.

I am sorry, but that's the way I feel- ;D I never oppressed anyone can I get a thank you?? Not no, but- hell no! ;D
Last edited by Chanchu on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:04 am

'Snot so bad, there are far worse things you can do to waste money in politics (such as most money used for campaigning)...

Apologies are good if they make people feel better... It shows that the present people in charge are different from the old and are sincere about being better than that...

Some countries in Asia (hint, hint) could learn from this kind of thing instead of pushing the "forget and deny" method.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:38 am

Ya doesn't have to be guilty in order to be sorry that something happened. They're two different emotions. What makes people uncomfortable is that they feel that they're being demanded to apologize for something they didn't personally do. However, most of these demands for apologies are really demands for recognition that the events happened. This usually comes after years or generations of "collective denial."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:36 am

http://www.pbs.org/becomingamerican/aboutprograms.html

About The Programs

What Does It Mean to Become an American?

In every immigrant group, each generation finds a balance between the values and practices of its heritage, and the mores of its adopted country. What is lost and what is gained, both personally and culturally, when one sheds part of one's heritage to make way for a new self-identity? Bill Moyers, Series Producer Thomas Lennon, and a team of filmmakers including Series Editor Ruby Yang and Producers Joseph Angier, Steve Cheng and Mi Ling Tsui explore this dramatic portion of America's history and confront myths about the Chinese in America that have flourished in the void.

Program One: Gold Mountain Dreams

As civil war and famine ravaged Southern China in the mid-19th century, word of the California Gold Rush reached the port of Canton. The prospect of making a fortune in America proved an irresistible lure to young Chinese men. They set sail across the Pacific hoping for a better life. More>>

Program Two: Between Two Worlds

Part Two tells the story of hostile years when Chinese Americans existed in a kind of limbo, denied the rights of their new country and no longer at home in their former one. They found refuge in Chinatowns, insular worlds that provided a sense of security and the companionship of kinsmen. More>>

Program Three: No Turning Back

World War II ushered in major changes for Chinese Americans. In an abrupt about face, they were suddenly embraced by America's political establishment. The exclusion laws were quickly repealed and Chinese Americans began their rise to the pinnacle of U.S. life. More>>

Becoming American: Personal Journeys

Watch a three-part series of one-on-one interviews by Bill Moyers with author Gish Jen, Nobel prize-winning physicist Samuel Ting, AIDS researcher David Ho, businesswoman Shirley Young, and artist Maya Lin. More>>

Buy The Video Home Program Credits Web Credits Our Funders Feedback
© 2003 Public Affairs Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Photo Credits: Workers/Denver Public Library, Western History Collection
Exclusion Act/British Columbia Archives
Soldiers/Chinese Historical Society of Southern California Gish Jen/
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

If anyone is REALLY interested in learning about the collective exprience of the Chinese in America:

Watch the Series Trailer:
56k | 220k

Video: Moyers
on the Program
56k | 220k

Video: America Is
Still Becoming
56k | 220k
(Requires Real Player)

Access the Viewer's Guide and Educational Guide
Bob
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the link.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Well at least the California economy has been fixed:

http://www.break.com/index/genius-plan- ... onomy.html
Chris Fleming

Postby klonk on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Seems to me the California Legislature oughta apologize to everyone.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic