Kung Fu Panda

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Kung Fu Panda

Postby Bill on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:27 pm

You killed Amanda? Dude, that probably not even her real name!

No, Panda, kung fu panda.

Guys, is Kung Fu Panda worth watching ?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Kung Fu Panda

Postby zenshiite on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Yes.

My son loves that movie. It was his first trip to the movie theater.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:37 pm

It was a lot of fun; I liked it.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Cool
Not having kids I haven't watched any of the animated movies that have come out over the last decade or so.
I'll rent it this weekend.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:02 pm

I watched it in China, just after the premiere. That was fun and we laughed as hell. I hadn't heared about it before, so it was complete new when I watched it.

But you know, in the end, it's just a strange mixed soup of stuff from other movies, like Star wars, LOTHR, The Matrix, some old Walt Disney clichés and a little bit 36th Chamber of Shaolin. There is absolutely nothing new, unique or imaginative about it. But it's fun and entertaining.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:44 pm

it was funny but I wouldn't pay money to rent it. download it mang.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby meeks on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:24 pm

I thought it was brilliant - who cares if they parody a few other movies. I laughed out loud watching it in the theatre. I'll enjoy watching it in a few years when my daughter is old enough to understand it.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:37 am

meeks wrote: who cares if they parody a few other movies.

If it was "parody" I wouldn't care. If they just take parts from other movies and build the plot on it, take scenery and scenography to build it's own scenery, it is not parody. You can call it "homage" or a "tribute". But why build every single part of it on other movies? I can't get it.

Some other movie creators, like for many phantasy films, they study a time and culture very well, take parts from it and do something that seem realistic and original. These people hasn't studied Chinese culture at all. And they haven't no ideas about how to create something new and original. They have just looked at a whole lot of other movies and stitched something together. I have nothing against parody, but taking clichés, characters, scenography this way, without doing anything new or creative at all with it, this is what I am against. The process is the very opposite to creative art work. After I watched "Panda", I had very much the same feeling when I tried to watched "The Jungle Book 2". But at least, "Panda" was very well made, the CGI especially, and as I said it was veryfunny and entertaining. And sometimes that is quite enough. Brilliant or not, it could have been much, much better. I think they actually wasted what they had.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:20 pm

hmmm... you lost me - what movies did they rip off? if it's a temple they copied, is it a known one? or was it originally only 'made up' in a different movie? Was it the whole story line? 'The Departed' (Leonardo Dicaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson) was a remake of a hongkong movie. I saw them both and enjoyed them both.

You list all those movies but I still don't recall - could you list what was ripped out of star wars for me? And if for 'the matrix' you mean they did a slow motion camera move-around, I think that adds a bit of laughter. It's not like Panda had to get 'jacked in' before he could fight the villain.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass (rather odd for me, isn't it?)... I'm just saying I wasn't paying attention to the details that (in your opinion) the movie may have just been a piecemeal of other movies and was hoping you could point them out for me.
Last edited by meeks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meeks
Administrator

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:36 pm

My son loves kung fu panda, and I really enjoyed it too. Kids will watch things over and over so something has to be pretty good for me not to just hate it after a few times. Kung fu panda can be watched many, mnay times.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:39 pm

I think that's the best measure of a kid's movie, too. Not just the kid likes it, but the parents can enjoy watching it with them.
meeks
Administrator

Postby edededed on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:56 pm

True... After all, someone has to bring the kids to watch them, after all.

As an aside - Oo-gway = 武龜? :)

The ending was a bit cheesy and very American, but, it was pretty well done in general. Wish they did a bit more with actual kung fu (animal styles, for example) and for some reason US animation makes fighting look very gumby and rubbery, but...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 pm

meeks wrote:I'm just saying I wasn't paying attention to the details that (in your opinion) the movie may have just been a piecemeal of other movies and was hoping you could point them out for me.

No time to write a whole article for you, sorry. But a few points then...

Ok some of this are kind of spoilers, but I will try to kinda' encrypt it a tiny little bit...

1. There is a very old master, well, a green one. Did you notice what happen to him when he dies? Who does he remind you of?
2. The relationship between the old master, Shifu and Tai long, what does it remind you of? A The great student who becomes evil? (The story seems to be a kind off mix between the Luke-Vader plot in Star Wars and some Kung-fu films like Tai Chi Master)
3 When Tai long escapes his prison, the scenography of the bridges falling is almost exactly copied in detail from when the Fellowship tries to escape the Balrog in Moria.
4. Soft method wins the battle. Taiji wins in Shaolin Soccer?
5. "There is no spoon." ...

There are more... Later if I have time maybe I will make effort to write down.

My favorite scene, btw, is the "food fight" between Po and Shifu. That one is like an homage (or tribute) to Kwan Tak-Hing.

Again, I think it's a good, funny and very entertaining flick. If the creators had had some kind of original ideas as well, it would have become an instant classic.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:13 pm

I loved it. But I like old school Kung Fu movies, and I have kids, so it was like the best of both worlds.

Hilarious movie, very watchable for adults, but it is a kids movie. It's just a fun movie, it won't change your life.

One on my favorite aspects of the movie- The panda's relationship with his dad, who is a duck. Very funny. At one point, the panda (Po) is sitting in a chair with fireworks strapped to it, about to blast off into the sky. He says to his dad "I LOVE KUNG FUUUUUU!!!"

The son struggles with telling his dad that he does not love what the father does, and his path lies elsewhere. The dad is trying to snap his slacker son back into the real world and grow him up a bit.

Very funny, very cool.

The dad- one of the two wisest characters in the movie. He and the old turtle make the movie for me.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby AllanF on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:49 pm

best MA movie ever! Ok that going a little to far...i loved it though as does my daughter!
AllanF

Next

Return to Off the Topic