An armed society creates a more civil society!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

An armed society creates a more civil society!

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:55 pm

This Ad Was Posted to Craig's List Personals:

To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Us in Downtown Savannah two nights ago. Date: 05-27-09, 1:43 AM EST.

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings.

I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket. The evening was not that cold, but I was wearing the jacket for a reason. My girlfriend had recently bought me that Kimber Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. You no doubt agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head, isn't it?

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from bare footed, since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me to prevent you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again.

I also called your mother, or "Mom" as you had her listed in your cell, I described the entire episode of what you'd done in great detail. Then I went to the gas station and filled up my gas tank, as well as four other people's tanks on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home, who took 150 gallons, was extremely grateful!

I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go’s, along with all the cash in your wallet. That made his day to say the least!

I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb, immediately after I broke the windshield, the side window, and keyed the entire driver's side of the car. Not a pretty sight! I'm sure they won't be very happy about this.

Later, I called a bunch of phone sex numbers from your cell phone. Ma Bell just now shut down the line, but not before I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target. The FBI guy seemed intensely concerned, and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number, etc.). I only used your phone for a little over a day before the damned thing died, so what's up with that?

In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you....but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather pressing issues in the coming days, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the criminal career path you've chosen to pursue in life.

Remember, next time you might not be so lucky!

Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours,

Alex

P.S. Remember this motto: "An armed society creates a more civil society!"
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Re: An armed society creates a more civil society!

Postby Ron Panunto on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Yeah, bring back the good old wild west.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Obviously a fictitious report, but still amusing.

What city was it near Atlanta that passed a law requiring all who lived there to pack a gun because crime was out of control? I heard it worked like a charm.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:50 am

Michael wrote:What city was it near Atlanta that passed a law requiring all who lived there to pack a gun because crime was out of control? I heard it worked like a charm.

Kennesaw

"Kennesaw's experiment in crime control does not present itself as an easy way to arrest the killing in America's streets. It does, however, suggest where the problem doesn't lie." 8-)
(from this article)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:24 am

Hmm, well, seems like more disinformation. Kennesaw didn't have a crime problem, and didn't adopt the law because of it. They did it because a community in Illinois adopted some gun laws. Yep, there are few crimes there, at least gun crimes; but, there are only 11,000 people. Besides, it'd be simple to find communities of similar sizes with similar crime rates, but without the gun ownership law.

Live by the sword ...
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:44 am

The point they were trying to make I think, as I quoted above, was to show "where the problem DOESN'T lie", and they certainly succeeded at that.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:53 am

Right. The problem is not in Kennesaw, and never was. Frankly, I'm not sure what they proved, but it wasn't that more guns means less crime. I don't believe that making it a law to own a gun means that crime goes away. I think that's naive.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:13 am

I agree that it's naive, and the point they made (at least to me) was not reduction of crime, but at least NO INCREASE in crime rates in a place where EVERYONE has a gun. That's a point that washes away a lot of soil under the feet of the anti-gun laws. The point, at least IMO, all along has been that "criminals will ALWAYS (find a way to) have guns, and preventing non-criminals from access to guns is, to put it softly, unwise and against common sense", i.e. that gun ownership in an of itself doesn't promote or increase crime, so leave it the hell alone, don't make it illegal.

(Oh man, these arguments are like religious ones, aren't they... Never lead anywhere, and yet never stop. :))
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 am

There will always be passive-aggressive pussies who desire tyrannical power over the rest of society and know that they won't get it until the citizenry is disarmed. It has always been thus historically and America doesn't have special immunity from it.
Chris McKinley

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 am

That's a point that washes away a lot of soil under the feet of the anti-gun laws.

Actually, that's my point: i.e., the Kennesaw city law proves absolutely nothing about anti-gun laws. It doesn't support or refute anything. If it did, then maybe the arguments wouldn't go round and round with sides spouting catchphrases. For example, NYC has tough gun laws and the tougher they've gotten, the lower the crime rate has gone. This is regardless of how many guns are held by criminals or citizens. Las Vegas, Miami and other cities with less gun restrictions the crime rates (particularly murder) have increased. But, this wiki has a chart; check 'em out. Ok, it's just a wiki, right. Yet, if the statistics were absolutely irrefutably true, the arguments for gun ownership (that I hear) wouldn't change. So, that's why statistics are useless in these arguments.

Personally, I have no problem with gun ownership at all. I tend to get annoyed with jive-ass arguments about it, though. They make me feel unsafe. Sorry, that's just the way I feel, as well as my experience.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:27 am

Yeah - stats can be used to prove anything

Like the stats that show the US having the highest gun crime rate in the developed world.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:01 am

Slanted article aside-I lived in Kennesaw and Ackworth GA. I had guns in the house.

Everyone who lived on our street had problems with this one guy. The guy had a meth lab in his basement. it went bad pretty quick. He went nuts and had a couple of altercations with other people. You know what we did?

We called the cops.

You know the best part? He never stepped foot on my property. Especially after he saw me mowing my yard with my Browning Hi-Power strapped to my waist.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby Michael on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:49 am

Pat wrote:You know the best part? He never stepped foot on my property. Especially after he saw me mowing my yard with my Browning Hi-Power strapped to my waist.

Quoted for awesomesness!

[German accent on]
But knowink Herr Pat, vy not zee Loo-ger, jah?
[/off]

You kind of have to have met Pat to get a laugh out of this :)
Michael

Postby Pat on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 pm

(in my best German accent)

"Vell, my Vrowning is a Belgian model, yah! But nine, I haf no Luger, so sad!"

I secretly want to buy a Volkswagen or Audi. But I test drove a Volkswagen one time, I got so freaked out! It scared me, but deep down, I really liked it! It was so well designed and was so functional! ARGH!!!

the band that freaks me out the most- Kraftwerk. You might know why.

Sorry for the de-railment!
Last edited by Pat on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby Finny on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Vernon Forrest won the Marvin Kohn Good Guy Award in 2003 in a vote of members of the Boxing Writers Association of America, a richly deserved honor for a man who always was looking for ways to share his good fortune with others.

But Al Mitchell, his long-time friend, trainer and confidante, said no one can imagine how much charitable work Forrest actually did.

“He came from the ‘hood and even though he became a world champion and a big success and had a lot of money, he never forgot where he came from,” Mitchell said. “He was a guy who always was looking for something to do for someone else. It was like the money was burning a hole in his pocket. He wanted to give it to the gyms or some charity or just someone he saw who needed it.
ADVERTISEMENT

“He wasn’t looking for credit or tax breaks or anything else. He was a good guy who loved people and wanted to help any way he could.”

Forrest, 38, was shot and killed Saturday during a robbery, Atlanta police said. One of his trainers and closest friends, Charles Watson, told an Atlanta television station that Forrest stopped at a Mechanicsville, Ga., gas station to fix a problem with a tire when the incident occurred. He offered money to a man who helped him and was soon surrounded by several men, who somehow took his wallet, Watson told WXIA-TV. Watson told the station that Forrest scuffled with the men briefly in an apparent attempt to regain his wallet. One of the men jumped out of the car and shot him in the back of the head and then shot him six more times while he was on the ground.

It was a tragic end to a life filled with the highest highs and the lowest lows.

Forrest was a highly decorated fighter, making the 1992 U.S. Olympic team and then earning two welterweight championship belts and two super welterweight championship crowns during a professional career that spanned nearly 17 years.

But he never really got the mega-fight he sought. He fought most of his career at welterweight, where bouts against men such as Oscar De La Hoya, his Olympic teammate, and Felix “Tito” Trinidad represented career-high paydays. Try as he might, however, Forrest could never land a bout against either man.

He did land a pair of 2002 bouts against Shane Mosley, but could never get any of the other superstars into the ring with him.

That, though, didn’t surprise Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti, who was the matchmaker at Main Events when Forrest was promoted by the New Jersey company.

“There’s a reason De La Hoya didn’t fight him,” Moretti said. “He was one of those guys you didn’t fight unless you had to. He was a high- risk, low-reward fight for guys like Oscar and Tito.”

As great as Forrest was in his career – he was 41-3 with 29 knockouts and was the 2002 Fighter of the Year – he was a better person.

He is best known for starting and funding Destiny’s Child, which was a group home for mentally challenged adults. He was, said Ronnie Shields, his friend and long-time trainer, a guy who simply would melt whenever he saw someone in need.

“Everyone knows what Vernon did with Destiny’s Child and that in and of itself was incredible,” Shields said. “But there was so, so much more. He was a guy who was always laughing and smiling and thinking of ways to help underprivileged people. If you were his friend, he cared about you deeply and he would do anything for you. You couldn’t have a better friend. If you needed him, he was always there for you.”

Buddy McGirt took over as Forrest’s trainer late in his career. McGirt is based in Vero Beach, Fla., and does most of his training there. But as Forrest prepared for a 2008 rematch with Sergio Mora, a bout which would be his last, he wanted to stay at home and train in Atlanta.

He asked McGirt if he could, for that fight only, make a change and work in Atlanta. When McGirt said yes, Forrest asked him what he’d need. McGirt was stunned when he arrived at Forrest’s home.

“I got to his house and he gave me the keys and the alarm code and took me to a room and there’s a big bed for me and a flat screen TV and a DVD player and everything I could possibly have wanted,” McGirt said. “He told me, ‘This is your house. I want you to be at home. Do what you would do if you were in your own house. Be comfortable. And if you need anything, ask me.’ He was a thoughtful guy who had a knack for doing or saying the right thing.”

McGirt was in Forrest’s corner on July 28, 2007, in Tacoma, Wash., when Forrest routed Carlos Baldomir to win the World Boxing Council super welterweight title. Forrest was particularly elated after that bout, because he’d come back to win a championship after numerous shoulder surgeries that had caused him great pain.

A few weeks later, McGirt received a championship ring from Forrest.

“He didn’t have to do that, but he was the kind of a guy who wanted to show appreciation to anyone who helped him,” McGirt said. “He was a man’s man.”

Few realized how badly Forrest’s shoulders were injured. He eventually had surgery and was out for more than two years. The comeback was excruciatingly difficult.

Shields said he’d see Forrest in the gym before the surgery and couldn’t believe what he was able to do with the injuries he had and the pain they were causing him.

“I remember times when he couldn’t even pick up a gym bag, he was in so much pain,” Shields said. “The injuries were very frustrating to him, because they kept him from being what he could have been. He was in so much pain. I’d see him pick up something small and I’d notice him wince, but he did what he had to do.”

That didn’t come as a surprise to Mitchell, who first met Forrest when Forrest was 15 and he showed up at Mitchell’s U.S. Olympic Committee boxing training center on the campus of Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Mich.

Mitchell always believed Forrest would be a star because of the work ethic and dedication he showed.

He worked harder than anyone else. He would run in the rain or the snow, when no one else would. He would be the first to arrive and the last to leave. He was consumed by making the most of his talent.

“There aren’t a lot of people in this world like Vernon,” Mitchell said. “I talked to him on the phone two days ago and told him I was going to Philadelphia. He was worried about me going into a bad neighborhood and he just kept telling me to be careful and don’t get in the wrong place and all that.

“Nobody who knew Vernon has ever said a bad word about him. The first day I met him in our program when he was 15 years old, he told me he wanted to buy his mother a house. He was able to do that, but he did so much more. He worked so hard and made himself a good boxer that he made his bouts boring. But what I’m going to remember about Vernon is that he wasn’t just a great athlete. He was a great man, a great citizen of this world. He left it a better place than he found it.”

How Civil - shooting a champ in the back of the head then emptying 6 more into him after he gives you cash for helping him out
Finny
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic