Fedor is going to Strikeforce

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Fedor is going to Strikeforce

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:25 pm

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/n ... hp?id=2846

Interestingly enough, Strikeforce seems to be the most stable company to rival the UFC. Even though they are small in comparison, it seems that they do not rely on one fighter, as was the down fall of Elite XC and Affliction.

Who would have thunk it, Kimbo becoming involved with the UFC and Fedor going to Strikeforce.
Chris Fleming

Re: Fedor is going to Strikeforce

Postby nianfong on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:58 pm

isn't cung le also in strikeforce?
nianfong
Administrator

Postby jasonf on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:45 pm

That sucks! Maybe some of Fedor's hero worship will dwindle now that its obvious hes not interested in fighting the best guys in the world.
jasonf
Huajing

Postby chud on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm

He IS the best guy in the world.
chud
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:23 pm

I blame the M-1 management, not Fedor. In this 2007 interview, Vadim admits the UFC probably has the strongest HW's:
http://www.sherdog.com/news/interviews/ ... nenko-8422

Interestingly, he also says they wanted to not have Fedor immediately fight the top guys so he can get some adjustment to Octagon, elbows, etc. That does not seem to be the message Fedor gives in interviews or seems to believe (he comes across as confident no matter these conditions). Vadim realistically says that if you always fight the best guys, sooner or later you lose. In chess the top guys barely beat .500. I think the Russians are very logical and pragmatic and know that makes sense. GSP, Anderson Silva, Couture, Liddell, Nog, Mir, Lesnar, etc., have all lost. Still, Fedor is the best guy, lol. Well, maybe Machida is the best p4p.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:46 pm

It's just sad, and for once, I feel Dana White's pain. He tried his best to get Fedor on board and I don't blame him for not giving in on the co-promotion issue. In any case, it's always good to see Fedor fight, but who is he going to fight in Strikeforce? Overeem? Their heavy weight champion who hasn't defended his title in like forever. If he can stay out of the night clubs long enough, that will be a good fight. And then what? The UFC has so many great matches that could have been in the making for Fedor.
Chris Fleming

Postby Finny on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:34 pm

UFC would never in a million years agree to co-promote a show with M-1. Anyone with a brain could see that would just NEVER happen.

That Vadim actually believes that (a) it's a possibility and (b) that they [M-1] actually deserve to co-promote just shows how much of a Don King pimp extortionist Mofo this cat is.

I am amazed that Fedor would allow his management to so blatantly trade benefits for his career for potential benefits for Vadim/M-1 [granted Fedor does own a 20% share of M-1]

In the end, in a purely fiscal sense, the UFC is not gonna be the big loser here - they are already the world's premier MMA org, they have 90% of the well known names and they have a fantastic marketing department. They can do without Fedor.

I don't think Fedor can do without the UFC.

If he really wants to cement his place as the world's best - he needs to show the world. That means UFC.

So IMO, if he had to take a few small concessions on the promotional front, in order to get himself onto the world's No 1 stage, he should have done it - and he should have done it two years ago.

If that meant ditching Vadim Finkelstein and M-1, well he has to decide if he actually wants to compete or if he'd rather line Vadim's pockets.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:26 am

:( sad day for me
Areios
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:19 am

sad day for me too..

Finny... I think the reverse is also true.. the UFC heavyweights may play with each other, but they all know that Fedor is the scalp which makes them no 1
Last edited by yusuf on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:44 am

Fedor may be motivated by his m-1 stake - who knows. He doesn't say. On the other hand, he mentioned in an earlier interview he is happy with m-1, he has 3 fights left, then we'll see. Suppose he beats his competition in Strikeforce, does some entertaining fights, gets used to the cage, etc., is still, say, 35-36 years old. Who knows what happens. Maybe finally a deal with UFC. Maybe there will be more competition in Strikeforce or DREAM. There is no reason to think more good fighters aren't coming along all the time, that there won't be some awesome younger fighters emerging.

As far as "legacy", rankings, etc., are all subjective bullshit, like arguing about what is tai chi. If Fedor lost to Lesnar, giving up 50 lbs, where would he be in p4p? Still at the top. Same thing if Anderson Silva lost to Griffin or in boxing to Jones, Jr. where would he be in p4p? Still at the top. It's not that Fedor needs to beat more top heavyweights. It's that the other guys need to do so. Mir beating Lesnar, Nog and Sylvia, and Lesnar beating Mir, Herring, and an old Couture who can fight at 205 doesn't really say as much. Let Carwin fight them, then someone will have proven he should earn a shot at Fedor. Fuck the UFC. It's about the fighters and the matchups. Fans who have some irrational brand loyalty to a corporate entity are fucking idiots.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:13 am

^^I don't care much for p4p, and while weight classes are absolutely necessary for sport fighting such as MMA, weight classes weren't there on the battlefield. You couldn't say to your opponent, "you're heavier than me and have too much of an advantage". So in a way I preferred the old UFC which made no distinctions. When you start having middle weight fighters calling themselves or being called the best "pound for pound" fighter, that is only because heavy weights always and will always have that special spot light because they are the big boys. That's how the world spins.

In this case I really can't blame the UFC. They have the fighters and they gave Fedor a good deal. 6 fight contract is a little long but I'm sure that could have been negotiated. In any case, Fedor DOES need to beat more top heavy weights. That's what you do when you are at the top or you retire. Who wants to see Fedor have a rematch with Zulu? It is about the fighters and the match ups, and we all want to see them!
Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:58 pm

a) Fedor in strikeforce = longer career

b) Fedor is not willing to take DW's shit $ offers as he is known for

c) $$$

d) SSS

e) see c, d or both.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby jasonf on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:05 pm

everything wrote:Fedor may be motivated by his m-1 stake - who knows. He doesn't say. On the other hand, he mentioned in an earlier interview he is happy with m-1, he has 3 fights left, then we'll see. Suppose he beats his competition in Strikeforce, does some entertaining fights, gets used to the cage, etc., is still, say, 35-36 years old. Who knows what happens. Maybe finally a deal with UFC. Maybe there will be more competition in Strikeforce or DREAM. There is no reason to think more good fighters aren't coming along all the time, that there won't be some awesome younger fighters emerging.

As far as "legacy", rankings, etc., are all subjective bullshit, like arguing about what is tai chi. If Fedor lost to Lesnar, giving up 50 lbs, where would he be in p4p? Still at the top. Same thing if Anderson Silva lost to Griffin or in boxing to Jones, Jr. where would he be in p4p? Still at the top. It's not that Fedor needs to beat more top heavyweights. It's that the other guys need to do so. Mir beating Lesnar, Nog and Sylvia, and Lesnar beating Mir, Herring, and an old Couture who can fight at 205 doesn't really say as much. Let Carwin fight them, then someone will have proven he should earn a shot at Fedor. Fuck the UFC. It's about the fighters and the matchups. Fans who have some irrational brand loyalty to a corporate entity are fucking idiots.

I totally disagree that this is about brand loyalty, no matter how many second tier guys you knock out your still fighting second tier guys, he will be a huge favorite in all his fights the wins are almost empty. Fedor may have made a smart choice, but deffinatley not a brave or impactful one.
But I do think that the UFC and Dana White would have tried their best to get Fedor's ass kicked as quickly as possible (probably by Lesnar) then screwed him over just so they could say Fedor was nothing compared to the UFC.
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Finny on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:23 pm

No doubt - I don't really like the UFC as an entity, I don't really like their style and everyone knows Dana's an asshole - Always way preferred PRIDE over UFC

But when it come to the pool of talent to choose from - the UFC has indisputably the deepest HW division in MMA today

Who does strikeforce have?

Overeem, Rogers and thats about it....

It's not about brand loyalty - it's about wanting to see Fedor fight more than once a year against quality opposition.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:38 am

talking of UFC, SIlva vs Griffin this saturday eh :)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic