UFC 101

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: UFC 101

Postby qiphlow on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:23 am

i would really like to see silva vs. machida. and i propse that the format be the same as the first UFC: no time limit. the two guys go in there, and the fight stops when one taps or is KTFO.
both of them are on an entirely different level as compared to the rest of the ufc stable, IMO.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby jasonf on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:49 am

I think Griffin summed it up the best, he said "Anderson Silva makes really good fighters just look bad" Not only has he won 10 in a row, but I can't even remeber him being hurt or beat up at the end of any fights...This guy is becoming the Mohammed Ali of MMA.
jasonf
Huajing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:07 pm

Silva is amazing. He is a great example of relaxed power.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:30 pm

what exactly happened with that last shot while walking and leaning backward? it didn't look powerful though it landed spot on.

rumor is that griffin had already had his jaw dislocated from the earlier blows, so with that last clean shot, had to stop.

anyway, amazing, really amazing.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby XiaoXiong on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:03 pm

He was hit really hard at least three time before that last shot. Silva's power is impressive, I really like his style.
J
J
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm pretty sure this alone makes Silva the man. Now if only he would bust out some of these intense moves in his next fight.. ;D

"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:34 am

I think when Griffin dropped he raised his hands to fend off the normal onslaught that follows getting dropped in the UFC, he was just already out for the most part so he didn't realize it wasn't coming. I don't think he was waving his hands in submission.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 am

Kenny Florian got robbed!!!

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 am

guys, this has less to do with talent and hunger to win and more to do with money.

If you don't think guys aren't taking falls in the UFC, then you don't know the fight game at all.
Like any other form of entertanment, it's a business and ufc is a big one.

It like any other fight game is rigged in one way or another.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:35 am

If someone is going to take a fall then they should be putting in a good show of it. I don't think Griffin took a fall other than from the punches that sent him there.

As to the punch not looking powerful, thats really not an accurate indicator. The most powerful punches are always the ones that feel like the guy wasn't even there, sometimes they look like they feel too. Haven't any of you ever had that, "I didn't mean to knock him out I barely tapped him I swear!" moments?

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Kurt Robbins on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Rich Franklin trains at our gym and his recollection of the reconstructive surgery he had on his face from Silva is proof enough for me that not only is Silva as good as he is, but that no one threw a fight.
Also Chris Lieben trains with us and is no joke - that guy is really good (Rich as well) and no he did not throw the fight.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 pm

rigged doesn't necessarily mean throwing fights.

it's about bad matching and deliberate unbalancing.

guys putting on weight or cutting it to fight in different divisions, not because they want to, but because they are contractually obliged.

taking dives doesn't start happening until it becomes corruptible in a easy way first.

It happens to all money sports eventually.

some games don't matter, but those that do?

for instance, how does a shlub like Griffon even get to fight someone like Silva who outclasses him 100:1?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:49 pm

for instance, how does a shlub like Griffon even get to fight someone like Silva who outclasses him 100:1?

Griffin was the champion of his weight class. If he was a shlub, what does that mean for the rest of the division? Silva, current hamp of his weight division, is smaller than Griffin and has beaten all the contenders in his division. Now, if you asked me why the fight was made, I would say that it's because they're trying to save the career of a fan-favorite fighter.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Darth has an interesting point.
None the less Silva is not the most popular nor has he really ever been - guys like Rich Franklin, Chuck Liddel and Urijah Faber are the most relatable to the American based audience and are the first to be groomed (or it seems that way) by UFC advertising and exposure.
Not many non-martial artist fans relate to Anderson Silva. Tragically, American fans relate to fighters in their own unique way.
:P
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Well, my point was that Forrest is/was the fan-favorite, regardless of the relative skill levels. It was to save Forrest's career, not Silva. There's a bunch more money invested in promoting Griffin than Silva. He's the "face" of the UFC.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic