Knee Brace

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Knee Brace

Postby TaoJoannes on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 am

So my right knee got bent sideways back in March. 3 weeks recovery time, no cat scan, no surgery. Xray showed at least nothing was broken.

At some point I am convinced I'm going to at least need it scoped, based on what I know and what folks who know more have told me, I think there's still a problem in the meniscus. Any sideways movement is liable to cause moderate to severe pain, and every once in a while, particularly on stairs, it feels like it wants to bend forward.

I'm not likely to be able to afford surgery any time soon, and for the first time n my life, I live so close to the beach I can see the surf from my bedroom window.

I must surf but I'm afraid of cranking my knee and drowning.

If any of you could recommend the best knee brace for under a hundred bucks that would stand up to salt water and prevent bending in the wrong direction I would be eternally grateful.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Re: Knee Brace

Postby Bill on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:32 pm

This is all I could find. It is pricy however. $450.00

Exclusive four point leverage system provides exceptional protection for moderate to severe ACL, PCL, or Combined Instabilities (CI) of the knee ligaments

Designed for adolescents and adults with active lifestyles and well suited to contact, extreme, snow, and water sports

Wide size range (XS-XXXL) and extremely lightweight aircraft aluminum frame with user-adjustable strapping system combine to give a comfortable, near custom fit

The DonJoy® Armor Action Knee Brace is the support your active lifestyle needs for mild to moderate ACL, PCL, and Combined Instabilities (CI) of the knee ligaments. The low profile, lightweight, and durable aircraft aluminum frame is designed for contact, extreme, aquatic, and snow sports of all sorts and its low profile design means it will fit under uniforms, pants, dresses, and your snow gear. The exclusive four point leverage system provides exceptional stabilization of the leg and knee for maximum support and protection, and with seven sizes and adjustable strapping you will get a near custom fit with unparalleled comfort. The super-lightweight aluminum frame has an attractive silver vein powder coated finish and the super duty dual hinge systems will give you the natural feel, smooth action, and protection you desire.

Web site .. http://www.orthoticsandbeyond.com/p-147 ... brace.aspx
Last edited by Bill on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:08 pm

you probably do have some sort of meniscus injury. that brace bill posted is badass, but a bit much for a meniscal tear. you need an mri to confirm the extent of the damage, and probably an arthroscopy to go in there and clean things up. you could get away with doing nothing, but you'd have to be careful with stairs, uneven surfaces, and pivoting/twisting motions. strengthening the quads will help.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:56 pm

If your knee wants to bend the wrong way it could be a torn PCL. I'd take a good hard look at where you're spending your cash and see if you can't get it checked out. Open a new credit account or something. It would suck to go the rest of your life unable to walk without pain--IF you really do think it might be something serious.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:52 am

The pain isn't constant, just every once in a while when I step wrong on, um, stairs, uneven surfaces, and when I make twisting, shearing, and pivoting motions. It's okay for now, but if it degenerates, I'm definitely going to have to do something.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic