Dojo Storm Fail

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Dojo Storm Fail

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:21 am

cerebus- have you ever actually been to a prize fight? watched one on tv?
you think those guys are raving intellectuals for the most part?

I don't understand what is your fascination with me not buying into this vid and the meme chanting.

I mean seriously, do you really give a crap about an internet video? do you really give a crap about that guy? Do you not understand how misplaced that emotionalism is despite the good intentions of it.

Try to control those things you can man, let go of the things you cannot.
It's that simple.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:cerebus- have you ever actually been to a prize fight? watched one on tv?
you think those guys are raving intellectuals for the most part?

I don't understand what is your fascination with me not buying into this vid and the meme chanting.

I mean seriously, do you really give a crap about an internet video? do you really give a crap about that guy? Do you not understand how misplaced that emotionalism is despite the good intentions of it.

Try to control those things you can man, let go of the things you cannot.
It's that simple.

Are you actually trying to compare a boxing match where two people are evenly matched, both wanting to fight, with rules, a referee and prompt medical attention, to what happened in that video?? Wow. That's like comparing apples and Eiffel Towers.

You seem to misunderstand my interest in this matter as "misplaced emotionalism". My interest is based on simple human compassion and a desire that those who perpetrated the crime not be able to smugly snicker and brag about it the rest of their lives, as Bobby Joe Blythe was doing when he posted the vid in the first place.

But I agree entirely with your last words. I am doing what I can to raise awareness about this video (which has caused others to contact media and law enforcement, who are now investigating the case) but I certainly am not worrying about those things which I cannot do. Do you think I'm going to scream in anguish and bash my head against the wall if the investigation runs it's course and no charges are brought? Of course not! But if no one tries to even start an investigation then it's guaranteed that nothing will happen. I for one would rather not contribute to such a guarantee of failure...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:54 am

I am comparing it with any number of other blood sports both real and amateur. However, it's not as bad as watching a video from Sierra Leone in the 90's or Salvador in the 80s, or even old footage from ww2 etc etc.

I don't see it as much different from the time when the douchebags had a 200+ pound meathead break the arm of a skinny ass kungfu fairy jumper to prove themselves correct. That was also heinous, but who fucking cares about that guy right? He's not unconscious or anything, but he did have his arm broken while he couldn't do anything about it and it was actively encouraged and then cheered over at trollshido.

not to mention the many other examples of this kind of shock shit.

why is this video the exception?

You can choose to view it or not.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:27 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:I am comparing it with any number of other blood sports both real and amateur. However, it's not as bad as watching a video from Sierra Leone in the 90's or Salvador in the 80s, or even old footage from ww2 etc etc.

I don't see it as much different from the time when the douchebags had a 200+ pound meathead break the arm of a skinny ass kungfu fairy jumper to prove themselves correct. That was also heinous, but who fucking cares about that guy right? He's not unconscious or anything, but he did have his arm broken while he couldn't do anything about it and it was actively encouraged and then cheered over at trollshido.

not to mention the many other examples of this kind of shock shit.

why is this video the exception?

You can choose to view it or not.

The difference with other "bloodsports" is that this wasn't "sport". The victim did not go there to fight, did not want to fight and tried to get his attacker to stop attacking him even in the middle of the fight. Then, when he was unconscious, the attacker drove his full body weight into stomping on the guy's skull while it was on a hard surface. Why do I even have to explain that? It's plain as day, yet you are incapable of seeing it?

Not as bad as watching war vids? Probably not. But again, comparing two Entirely different things.

I don't know anything about any 200 lb meat-head breaking the arm of a skinny Kung Fu guy. Sounds like another thing I would respond against, even though it doesn't sound like a case of attempted murder (as this one seems to be), and I don't know if both combatants were willing fighters (in the vid this thread is about, that was not the case).

You still seem to be entirely blind to any of the points I've made. I'm not saying the violence in this video is the most extreme thing ever. What I'm saying is that the luring of an unsuspecting, nonviolent individual into a situation where he has been set up be beaten, followed by his attempted murder is what I find to be disgusting. If it's okay with you, well that's your business.

Why is it that you feel such a need to have me not care about this? If you don't care, then fine, that's between you and your own conscience, but I happen to give a damn and, unlike you have claimed, there really is something that can be done. Why are you so keen on everyone dropping it and purposely doing nothing? Fortunately the vast majority of people who have commented on this video across the internet don't seem to agree with you... at all. And many of them have lent their assistance in starting the current legal investigation. Sit on your hands and complain about our wanting to do something if you wish. I hope you're not the only person watching if I ever get attacked and beaten like that....
Last edited by cerebus on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 am

re: the 200 lb meat-head breaking the arm of a skinny Kung Fu guy

The situations are not even close.
The skinny Kung Fu guy was a kung-fu instructor had made a $10,000 challenge to any MMA'ist who would accept a no holds barred match. The match was accepted by John Marsh and took place at the instructors school.
It was not a beatdown of a retarded person but a match between two legit martial artists. One of whom couldn't fight very well. I understand that the kung-fu instructor congratulated his opponent after the match and no hard feelings exist between the two men.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 am

Bill wrote:re: the 200 lb meat-head breaking the arm of a skinny Kung Fu guy

The situations are not even close.
The skinny Kung Fu guy was a kung-fu instructor had made a $10,000 challenge to any MMA'ist who would accept a no holds barred match. The match was accepted by John Marsh and took place at the instructors school.
It was not a beatdown of a retarded person but a match between two legit martial artists. One of whom couldn't fight very well. I understand that the kung-fu instructor congratulated his opponent after the match and no hard feelings exist between the two men.

Why does this not come as a surprise? Good example Darth... ::)
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:13 pm

allright then, to youtube! lol where we can witness all sorts of schoolyard beatdowns.

meanwhile elsewhere on the web, I think we could even find videos of people killing witches by burning them in pits, and so on and so forth.

get out of the weeds dammit!

Bill, it's arguable that a retard was not beaten down in that vid. :)

Seriously though, some of us just don't give a shit about the vid. It's not important and nothing on earth changed because someone got beaten up unfairly or not.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:35 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Bill, it's arguable that a retard was not beaten down in that vid. :)

I see your point. ;)
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:nothing on earth changed because someone got beaten up unfairly or not.

Apparently it has, though. 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote: It's not important and nothing on earth changed because someone got beaten up unfairly or not.

Nothing has changed for YOU. But if that is as far as you wish for your awareness to extend, then you will live your life in a very small world.
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:16 pm

In other news, here's a clip from the Today show featuring Bobby Joe Blythe's students.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj0UkebxBLg
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Wow. The clips from this group keep getting older and older.
Chris Fleming

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Ok I really don't think what happened in the video qualifies as attempted murder despite how heinous and brutal it was. Yea stomping on a guys head a couple times has the potential to kill them, but if they actually intended to kill him then the stomping would not have stopped until he quit breathing. Or they would have used weapons which I am sure were readily available in the dojo. What happened was definitely assault and battery but IMO it wasn't attempted murder.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Seriously though, some of us just don't give a shit about the vid.

Well apparently you care enough to make it to page 8 or 12 or wherever this is in the thread. Just sayin'....

As far as the video being fake or not, often fake violence looks much more realistic than the real thing on video. Camera's don't have depth perception, so the fake stuff uses it to advantage while the real stuff doesn't have that luxury. That doesn't prove anything one way or the other relative to this video, but it's best not to rely upon close examination of interweb video for any sort of meaningful conclusion about pretty much anything.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:21 pm

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One