Door To Door Atheists Bother Mormons

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Door To Door Atheists Bother Mormons

Postby Dmitri on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Nice; these are from the more coherent parts of that book... where you could actually ask some reasonably sane and logical questions.
Unlike the books near the end of the new testament, like the Revelations etc. Ravings of some seriously crazy lunatics...
But then again, all of that is "explained"...

Have you tried posting your questions on a religious forum or maybe the soc.religion.christian newsgroup? Maybe some scholar would attempt a serious answer...

Problem with all of this is, of course, the same as with the rest of religious discussions -- a completely different initial premises, i.e. one that is founded on the idea that the entire book is the "word of god", and the other that it's not. There can never be an agreement or even a true "mutual understanding" on some of these issues IMHO.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:24 pm

felipe, aren't u actually christian? with the amount u know about the bible, I assumed you were...
nianfong
Administrator

Postby grzegorz on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:46 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Felipe Bidó on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:57 pm

nianfong wrote:felipe, aren't u actually christian? with the amount u know about the bible, I assumed you were...

Nah, I'm not. But 95% of people here are raised Catholic. My father taught me to explore religios and seeing them as a series of 'beliefs' rather than truths. And the first time I read the Bible, my father told me I should read it like a book of stories and with no preconceptions so I could see stuff that others didn't dare to ask, because "it's a sin to question God's motives".

I do believe that there is a superior state of nature, and a Superior Intelligence that permeates everything and probably turned on the switch that caused the Big Bang. And that everything is a manifestation of that 'being'. But from that to think there's an old man up there watching what I do and writing it down so he can fuck me up when I die, and that some people have 'the truth' while others can't have access to it, well, nah.

Organized religion is just the tendency of the human beings to belong to a group. Like a favorite team (my team is the best, the others suck), a political party (my party is the one with the right idea...the others suck), a martial art...you get the idea. But in this case is "We have the truth about God and everyone else doesn't have a clue".
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby qiphlow on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Felipe Bidó wrote:

I do believe that there is a superior state of nature, and a Superior Intelligence that permeates everything and probably turned on the switch that caused the Big Bang. And that everything is a manifestation of that 'being'. But from that to think there's an old man up there watching what I do and writing it down so he can fuck me up when I die, and that some people have 'the truth' while others can't have access to it, well, nah.

rock on, brother.
+1.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:13 am

shawnsegler wrote:S- glad not to be so close to the mormons, although there's a temple with a golden moroni at the top right down the road.

The JCCoLDS (Mormon) churches are popping up like crazy.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:31 am

Michael wrote:So when the economy is bad, people want religion?

Part that, part the fact that these guys have A LOT of money and now's a great time to "invest" it.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic