Nice article on cold water dousing

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Nice article on cold water dousing

Postby fuga on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:42 pm

http://www.systemanorway.com/default.asp?iId=JLEIH

I find it interesting the distinction between dumping buckets of cold water on your head versus cold showers, as well as the entire "mental toughness" aspect that develops through the process. Have anyone else found increases in pain threshold through dousing?

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Re: Nice article on cold water dousing

Postby Andy_S on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:12 pm

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence about the benefits of dousing from cultures as different as English public schools and Japanese Zen temples; this article adds a lot of empitical data.

I douse daily (mornings) and find it beneficial. Since starting several years back, I have not suffered any cold that lasted longer than a day. I also agree, that a douse is better than a cold shower (though I always end showers with 30 secs of cold, if there is no bucket handy.) His comments about how one douse saying a lot about you may well be true. In the Korean winter, believe me, I want to get it over ASAP!

Whether the practice increases pain tolerance, I cannot say - never really having done any experimentation in this area - but I think the article rather overstates the pain of cold.

If you don't douse - why not?

Can anyone recommend a decent book on the health benefits of Systema (dousing, breathing methods, nature communing, etc)?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:26 pm

I end my showers with a minute of cold water. I guess I am going to take the proverbial plunge and start dousing. How big a bucket of water are we talking about? A five gallon bucket or something smaller. When my wife and I honeymooned in SE Asia years ago, it seemed like all bathing was dumping small buckets of cold water on ourselves.

Anyone else have Andy's experience of shorter colds or other noted health improvements?

(Obviously from all these questions, I am going to be the type to look at the bucket for a while before dumping it on my head.)
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:49 pm

I developed an allergy to dust due to the place I worked, and I got cured with the cold water dousing.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Ian on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:12 pm

I don't get sick anymore, but that's a combination of not having to sardine myself into a train at rush-hour and have people sneezing on my face, not being locked in a cubicle 9-9, not having the same amount of stress and similarly having more time to train. Plus dousing.

I don't buy the idea that at the onset of a cold you can douse your way out of it.

I don't know about dousing increasing pain tolerance. Mental resilience - maybe.

I prefer ice baths to dousing. I find it more of a challenge. Having a waterfall to stand under must be fantastic.
Ian

Postby Andy_S on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Ian:

It is my experience that dousing DOES wipe out colds. Don't ask me how, but as you will know, Asian flu is a particularly nasty variant, and can last for well over a week. Well, that has not been my experience.

There again, I don't think I have had more than a couple of cold onsets since dousing.

Douse on!

Ice baths are new to me. Where the hell do you get that much ice and how much does it cost?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Oh, and re ice baths: Do you take a cherry and a straw in there with you?
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:24 am

Oh I just go to the club. It's actually not that expensive, honest.

Don't know about Seoul but in Taipei you can find ice pools fairly easily.
Ian

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 am

Ian wrote:Oh I just go to the club. It's actually not that expensive, honest.

Don't know about Seoul but in Taipei you can find ice pools fairly easily.

Ian relaxing at the clubhouse:

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:55 am

Andy_S wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent book on the health benefits of Systema (dousing, breathing methods, nature communing, etc)?

There's Vladimir's Let Every Breathe which has a lot of good info. I think I heard he may be releasing another book soon too.

Also, I released a DVD on Systema Health methods

I can wing you a copy over if you like

cheers

Rob
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 am

Graham,

It's a little more like this:

Ian

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:57 am

Ian - that's more like it!

Now if Ian's pic is getting anybody too excited and in need of a cold water douse then, let me offer a little metaphorical cold water with a picture of RobP in his boxers:

There. Feeling better now? ;)

Rob - sorry - I just went and brought something from your shop to make up for my barefaced cheek ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:05 am

Lol, that's enough to kill anyone's woody.... can't we see more like the previous pic (is it Caligula?)

cheers for the order, book on the way!

Rob
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby alexsuffolk on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:14 am

There was a great book by a 18th c Bavarian monk who cured thousands through water therapy.

Vlads first book was also very inspiring!

Alex
alexsuffolk

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:33 am

RobP2 wrote:Lol, that's enough to kill anyone's woody.... can't we see more like the previous pic (is it Caligula?)

cheers for the order, book on the way!

Rob

Thanks - looking forward to it.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic