MMA - good articles

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

MMA - good articles

Postby jwalker on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:56 am

If you, like me love MMA but feel often frustrated at the lack of decent journalism covering the sport, then check out http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811u/lorenzo-fertitta this article about Lorenzo Fertitta written by David Samuals. I have no idea who David Samuels is but he writes about as well as I have seen on the subject of MMA. On the right there is a link to an article called 'Rampage' which I think must be the single best piece of MMA journalism I've come across. It's a long read though but fascinating, esp given that point in Rampage's life. There are two others I haven't read yet but plan to.

Also highly recommened is http://www.bloodyelbow.com, which is fairly objective news and as up to date as it gets, there are also great articles named 'Judo Chop' found in their Techniques Section, where posters deconstruct a particular aspect of MMA, always a specific technique or skill observed in a UFC fight, often going into great detail about the techniques etc. If you're interested then start with the recent Block Lesner one, ir the one about Jon Jones' integrated game, or this one about Anderson Silva's wrestling. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/6/978661/ufc-101-preview-bloody-elbow-judo

Not sure if any of this has been posted or if any one is reading this but I would think that a lot of people who enjoy martial arts would love these Judo Chop columns, I know I do.
"It is statisticly possible to attack someone with your machete." - John Wang
jwalker
Great Old One

Re: MMA - good articles

Postby everything on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:45 pm

good stuff. like the misnomer "judo chop". will have to start following these articles.

Jon Jones is impressive. Definitely a fighter of the future. Most fighters except Fedor, A Silva, and Machida are missing smooth transitions between ranges, but Jones has them for sure. He made Stephan Bonnar look ridiculous. The "judo chop" on him was really good.

I think once everyone has a "standard" mma game, these creative combo moves like faking a double leg to score an elbow are going to pop up everywhere. Every great fighter will come up with more cool moves. Mma will get much more entertaining than it is now (half the time it's just fucking hugging).
Last edited by everything on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: MMA - good articles

Postby jwalker on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:04 am

I agree, wathcing MMA and it's fighters evolve has been fascinating. I truly believe we are living on the best times, a Golden Age for martial art fans, things haben't been this good since the original Olympics, B.C. baby.

Yes the Judo Chop articles are the shit I reckon.
"It is statisticly possible to attack someone with your machete." - John Wang
jwalker
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic