Good Authentic Chinese Recipes MaPo Doufu

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Good Authentic Chinese Recipes MaPo Doufu

Postby Bob on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Pretty good recipe---made it and the others on her website are also very good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4idNpei ... re=related

MaPo Doufu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS-RjhpY ... annel_page

Bitter Melon and Anchovies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02uA48Jh ... re=channel

Shao(r) Bing---my Mother-in-law makes an outstanding shao(r) bing and this recipe and folding comes close

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Good Authentic Chinese Recipes MaPo Doufu

Postby Franklin on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:17 pm

i have some bitter melon growing outside...
i noticed some flowers the other day so should be getting some fruit soon... ;D

and mapo doufu is yummy

i have decided to get these for x-mas
http://www.amazon.com/Land-Plenty-Treas ... t_ep_dpt_1

and
http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Chi ... 782&sr=8-3
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:45 pm

in the ma po tofu video it gets interesting around 3:25. Not sure if the closeup of her boobs while she rubs her finger around the bowl is on purpose or part of the marketing - but it works....

*meeks - always looking out for his brothers...*
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby nianfong on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:46 am

thanks meeks. that view makes it easier to listen to her super strong chinese accent, roundabout, slow talking style, and the static noise.... plus they're a lot easier on the eyes than her face.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby nianfong on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:48 am

how does she use a wok with no long handle? you can't even "flip" the wok.
the proportions look right... but I would marinate the wine into the meat first, and also brown the garlic very slightly before I throw the meat in. tsk tsk tsk.

also I would heat the tofu in boiling water first, before I put it into the pot with the meat. and I'd make the corn-starch-water solution very thin and slowly pour it into the mix, or even just pour it in before I put the tofu in. I'm not sure why you're supposed to mix the corn starch in with the tofu.

yeah I just checked one of my cookbooks, and it says to put it in last in a thin solution. I don't know why it says that too. doesn't make sense to me. maybe the flavor gets into the tofu better without the corn starch.
Last edited by nianfong on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby bailewen on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:53 am

Good tips Fong. I'll make sure my wife takes note. :-X

Also, yes, I thought the irony was there when at 26 seconds in she leans in and the subtitles label her breasts "Tofu: 40 oz." I didn't think it looked like 40 oz. though. . . . :-X :-X :-X
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:27 am

Franklin:

You won't go wrong with those books by Dunlop or Dunlap [too lazy to look her name up]. I've had both books for sometime now and I think they are really interesting to read and the recipes are excellent, too. About two years ago I fell in love with Hunan food and cooking and her second book is on Hunan cooking---the recipes are good.

Nianfong, if you brown your garlic, you must be Italian! LOL Yeah, the boiling water tofu with a bit of salt in the water works well.

Lots of breast look here---don't even go to the Chicken recipes---especially the 3 cup Chicken---she uses Chicken Breast---a real no-no for my palate [thighs and quarters]---its a good Taiwanese dish and I think she leaves out ginger---had the dish in a Taiwanese restaurante in Chicago and it was the best I have eaten. Nonetheless, I find her recipes better decent.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:37 pm

meeks, sexually derailing threads since the mid 90s....
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Bob on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Is it the chicken breast, Meeks?

Here I will help derail the thread! In 1974 or so, one night, after a bit of partying after work at a restaurant, a young woman decided to take me back to her house that she shared with 4 or 5 other girls. It was about 1:00 am and her roomates were all in their rooms so we shared a couple of moments in the kitchen--nothing heavy to write home about---at one point she excused herself to go to the bathroom. It took a bit of time and I got a bit bored so I opened up here refrig to see what she had---I opened the freezer and there were about 8 packets of chicken and scratched on the labe with a magic marker were her handwritten words,l "Chicken Tits".

That moment she came in and said, "Are you interested?" I replied, "Cold chicken tits aren't my bag. Got anything warmer?" She replied, "Yeah, maybe I do--gotta go up stairs and check out who is here."

She came back down and said, "Awe shit, my roomate is up there with her boyfriend." Then she asked, "What about your place?" Coming out of my drunken stupor I realized I had a girlfriend and she was back at my apartment sleeping i.e. waiting for me to come home from work. I looked at her, gave her a kiss and said, "Naah, I got roomates too. I gotta get goin--see ya tomorrow at work, Chicken Tits!" She laughed and the next day, while at work, the moment had vanished and she was back to being a waitress and me washing dishes on the old Hobart!
Bob
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic