What are IMA missing or the 250 year old man

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: What are IMA missing or the 250 year old man

Postby edededed on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:54 pm

I don't think that IMA will make you live much longer, besides helping to cure certain ailments and such that could cause one to go earlier than wanted. Lifestyle, genetics, and other factors are still very strong here. However, IMA can make one active and healthy to the end of one's life.

Incidentally, I have noticed that a lot of praying mantis (northern) practitioners seem to pass away fairly early... :(
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Alexander on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:13 pm

Haoran wrote:bunch of A-holes.. you guys miss the point of this entirely.

The oldest recorded living human without controversy is the 122 year old frenchman. So, the question still begs. What do IMA miss if anything since they all die in their 70s +-

Haoran,
I've discussed this in depth with some other people.

Obviously your longevity is a product of genetics & lifestyle ( to put it simply ). My family has a history of people living to ~ 100 years of age. I knew my great grand mother, until she died at 98. My great uncle lived to be 113 (Yes, 113). No one could give me a straight answer about whether Taoists *actually* live longer.

No offense -- but I have friends living in China, and they have often told me that the Chinese are fond of elaborating their ages to perpetuate old longevity myths. Afterall, Chinese are supposed to live long, right? "Ancient chinese secretttt"

Here's what IMA WILL do for you:

In my opinion -- IMA will keep you strong well into your old age. It's not uncommon (Imho one of the true myths..) to hear about internal martial artists who are strong as an ox until the day they die, and who can still keep up with their students. Such was said of Sun Lu-Tang until the day he died.

For instance, check out Sun Zhijun. Not too shabby at 75!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrPmAxE0WpY

He's still moving pretty loosely, fluidly, he picked up a student (albeit a small, asian one..) and looked to have no problem.

Training daily until your old age mostly does one thing for you: it keeps your body in motion. Some of the problems that we suffer today are from lack of motion (e.g. not opening and closing the door, so the hinge rusts - remember that saying?). The internal martial arts are pretty good about stretching and utilizing all parts of the body, so hopefully that helps you retain functionality into old age.
Last edited by Alexander on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:57 pm

martial arts, or rather, any exercise regimen will vastly improve your quality of life in your autumn years.

Longevity is quite a lot about genetics and a goodly portion about lifestyle, but don't sell genetics short. :)

a machine unused is a machine that rusts and grows stiff.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm

i need to get my hands on Gorgeous Pill (TM Pending)!
wazzaaaaaahhhhhh~!!!!
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:46 pm

Some like Sun Lu Tang were the ones who actively chose to die when they did, as in, telling their family that they are going to be passing on later that day while they were still in a full picture of health. That is seriously different from dying of old age in one's 70's. There's a book called Graceful Exits which had many such cases from Hindu, Chan, Tibetan, etc traditions where the masters would decide they were done.
Chris Fleming

Postby RobP2 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:11 am

Haoran wrote:bunch of A-holes.. you guys miss the point of this entirely.

You mean there is a point other than the one on the top of your head?
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 am

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 am

her her her
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:48 am

Haoran wrote:you guys miss the point of this entirely

Well perhaps if you picked a slightly smaller number for your title, people wouldn't treat your post as a joke. :P

Haoran wrote:What do IMA miss if anything since they all die in their 70s +-

By far not all, -- there were/are plenty of IMA masters who lived (AND practiced) well into their 80's and often 90's and at least one Tai Chi guy that I know of (and everyone else I'm sure knows too), TT Liang, lived till 102.

But anyway, as others pointed out, the relationship between IMA and longevity is a rather tangential one.
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Alexander on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:27 am

Chris Fleming wrote:Some like Sun Lu Tang were the ones who actively chose to die when they did, as in, telling their family that they are going to be passing on later that day while they were still in a full picture of health. That is seriously different from dying of old age in one's 70's. There's a book called Graceful Exits which had many such cases from Hindu, Chan, Tibetan, etc traditions where the masters would decide they were done.

Actually, he didn't choose when he was going to die. Although I've heard of the phenomenon you mention (e.g. masters passing in the lotus position), every reference I've read to Sun Lu-Tang's death said that he learned of his death through the study of the oracle of the I Ching. E.g. a prophetic type circumstance (or so the legend goes), not simply saying "Well, I feel good now, might as well die!"
Alexander
Huajing

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:30 am

Haoran,

Sorry if I was among those that missed the droll humor in your post. Still, you ask: "So, the question still begs. What do IMA miss if anything since they all die in their 70s +-". Who says that that means that IMA is missing anything? In fact, where, objectively and scientifically, do we get the notion that IMA are supposed to have the ability to extend human life? Sure, it's part of the folklore of CIMA, but so are many other things that are folklorish, embellished, or even purely fantastical.

Every culture contains such content. Perhaps the difference is that certain elements of Chinese culture, i.e., IMA practitioners, still cling to them as true on faith even to the current day, whereas most first-world advanced cultures across the globe, perhaps including most of the rest of Chinese culture, have long since recognized such folklore for what it is. Rather than deny and disown those elements in their own cultures, they have learned to embrace them, even celebrate them, for what they are....fanciful tales of exaggeration that make great entertainment and that capture a whimsical, enjoyable and unique facet to the given culture.

In terms of the reality of it, there's no need to accept and believe all the folklore tales of IMA in order to recognize their demonstrable and provable, if somewhat less epic, benefits as a form of exercise and meditation.
Chris McKinley

Postby Haoran on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 am

Hey Chris,

My point of this all is the feeling that most MA, including IMA are unbalanced because they are only focusing on the fight, the training for the fight, etc. That perhaps, because of this approach (training for fighting only) causes excessive stress on the body thus causing a negative where a positive could be the outcome. Question, how many IMA schools include "yin" training in their programs? Meditation, energy cultivation, diet?

On the other side of this, there have been some well aged boxers but do they continue training in their 50s, 60s, etc?
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Alexander on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:19 am

Haoran wrote:Hey Chris,

My point of this all is the feeling that most MA, including IMA are unbalanced because they are only focusing on the fight, the training for the fight, etc. That perhaps, because of this approach (training for fighting only) causes excessive stress on the body thus causing a negative where a positive could be the outcome. Question, how many IMA schools include "yin" training in their programs? Meditation, energy cultivation, diet?

On the other side of this, there have been some well aged boxers but do they continue training in their 50s, 60s, etc?

Boxing is a bit different. From what I've heard (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the types (and numbers) of punches that are involved in boxing are far more damaging to the brain than what is seen in modern MMA sport fighting.

Ali was incredible in his prime.. not so hot now.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:52 am

Haoran wrote:IMA [...] are only focusing on the fight, the training for the fight, etc.

Oh hell no he did'n...
TELL 'IM, CHRIS!! TELL 'IM HOW IT REALLY IS!!!
;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:16 pm

i prefer to not to worry about how long i will live, but how well i'm living my life.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic