msg is evil?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

msg is evil?

Postby everything on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Can someone who maybe already knows about this topic summarize the dangers of msg (monosodium glutamate)? I just searched for "msg brain" on pubmed.gov which mentions "neurotoxicity" and lots of other bad sounding stuff I haven't tried to read yet.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: msg is evil?

Postby Josealb on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Its a no no for people who get migraines easily. Other than that, i don't remember anything bad about it.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby chud on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Ohhhh, monosodium glutamate. Damn, and I came in this thread all ready to defend the Michael Schenker Group. ;D
chud
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:30 pm

saw on TV last week, they put 20 couples in a chinese restaurant and served them a huge lunch. afterwards they asked who was suffering effects of MSG. slightly more than 1/2 raised their hands. some people were positive they felt headachey, bloated, sleepy and even shaking in their limbs. turns out only the left 1 half of the room had msg in their food and it was the OTHER half (no msg) that had MORE people thinking they felt its effects.

this had some basic info:
http://www.ezhealthydiet.com/msg-side-effects.html

this one had more indepth info:
http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/msg-side-effects.html
this is the 2nd link's article:
According to the FDA, MSG Symptom Complex or MSG side effects can result in:

* Numbness

* Burning sensation

* Tingling

* Facial pressure or tightness

* Chest pain

* Headache

* Nausea

* Rapid heartbeat

* Drowsiness

* Weakness

* Difficulty breathing for asthmatics

"All forms of MSG (free glutamic acid that occurs in food as a consequence of manufacture) cause these reactions in MSG-sensitive people. That includes MSG found in a plant "growth enhancer" called AuxiGro, and MSG found in a variety of other fertilizers and fungicides that have been approved for spraying on growing crops, including crops identified as "organic.""

According to various independent studies show MSG reaction or MSG side effects can result in the following symptoms:

"Cardiac - Arrhythmia, Atrial fibrillation, Tachycardia, Rapid heartbeat, Palpitations, Slow heartbeat, Angina, Extreme rise or drop in blood pressure

Circulatory - Swelling

Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea, Nausea/vomiting, Stomach cramps, Rectal bleeding, Bloating

Muscular - Flu-like achiness, Joint pain, Stiffness

Neurological - Depression, Mood swings, Rage reactions, Migraine headache, Dizziness, Light-headedness, Loss of balance, Disorientation, Mental confusion, Anxiety, Panic attacks, Hyperactivity, Behavioral problems in children, Attention deficit disorders, Lethargy, Sleepiness, Insomnia, Numbness or paralysis, Seizures, Sciatica, Slurred speech, Chills and shakes, Shuddering

Visual - Blurred vision, Difficulty focusing, Pressure around eyes

Respiratory - Asthma, Shortness of breath, Chest pain, Tightness in the chest, Runny nose, Sneezing

Urological / Genital - Bladder pain (with frequency), Swelling of the prostate, Swelling of the vagina, Vaginal spotting, Frequent urination, Nocturia

Skin - Hives (may be both ..internal and external), Rash, Mouth lesions, Temporary tightness or partial paralysis, numbness or tingling of the skin, Flushing, Extreme dryness of the mouth, Face swelling, Tongue swelling, Bags under eyes"

Many people react to the MSG experience. They are not always benign or transient. According to Dr. George Schwartz author of "In Bad Taste: MSG Syndrome" his patients "have developed neurological conditions similar to Giles de la Tourette Syndrome, Trigeminal Neuralgia, and unspecific symptoms mimicking multiple sclerosis and muscle degeneration."

Dr. Schwartz also states, "In our practice we have observed reactions of severe palpitations, heart rhythm disturbances and liver abnormalities. Psychological disturbances including depression and anxiety attacks have also been seen after MSG ingestion. Gastrointestinal distress, headaches, dizziness and mental confusion are not unknown in these reactions, and asthma attacks are of great concern.

Particularly distressing are the hyperactivity and learning disorders that can be attributed to the absorption of monosodium glutamate by children. They symptoms are often misdiagnosed and attributed to "junk food."

One of the questions frequently asked is why this additive produces so many diverse symptoms? One assumption is that it strikes where the patient is most vulnerable, the brain being most often affected.

It is not unusual to suffer a variety of side effects when dealing with a substance that shocks the nervous system."
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby edededed on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:47 pm

The main effect for me is just a high intake of Sodium. Japanese food tends to have a lot of salt AND MSG (they invented it), and when this is in a thick sauce ("an-kake"), it tends to cause my mouth to get dried and cracked... You can also taste a sort of tingling, numbness when eating too much of it.
Last edited by edededed on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 pm

and when this is in a thick sauce ("an-kake"), it tends to cause my mouth to get dried and cracked... You can also taste a sort of tingling, numbness when eating too much of it.

dude...isn't an-kake when everyone spooges on a chick's face? :-X
Last edited by meeks on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby edededed on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:24 pm

No... that's bukkake (but bukkake is also something you can order at noodle restaurants to make your noodles special). And no, I don't order it myself... ;)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:49 am

MSG is evil because it ruins Chinese food.

I never understood why they didn't just use salt and pepper. To each his own I guess...

I do know that a friend of mine who had glaucoma had problems with his joints when he ate food with MSG.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:31 am

Monosodium glutamate is what makes Chinese food edible ;)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:44 am

hate the stuff, I always have a mild but nevertheless adverse reaction to it.

if you know how to cook properly and use spice properly, there is no need for it.

But if you are a shitty cook that has no salt, then it's likely you'll use this gunk.

its NOT food. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:32 am

MSG is an excito-toxin, which means it stimulates neurons in the brain to the point that they die. When enough neurons die, you basically get holes in your brain, which was documented in the early 70's and they got MSG out of baby formula. Russel Blaylock, MD and neurosurgeon says that people don't really notice symptoms until as much as 90% of the neurons of one area of the brain have died.

There are a variety of adverse effects from MSG, one of which that it turns off the switch in the brain that lets you know when you're full from eating. MSG is actually used on lab rats to make them fat for experiments where the rats need to start off that way.

MSG increases cancer growth!

See the website Sweet Remedy and get their aspartame and MSG documentaries.
Visit the Truth in Labeling web site to see how the FDA does not require food manufacturers to label MSG and how many thousands of products, with also thousands of different obscure and deceptive ways there are to label it.

It's likely that MSG is an essential aspect to food marketing for near-addictive effects. See the film, Super Size Me for anecdotal evidence. Here's an article about MSG and obesity.

It is almost impossible to avoid taking in large amounts of MSG when eating any processed, packaged, fast or restaurant food in the USA unless they advertise very clearly they don't have it.

Translations from English to Chinese:
msg
monosodium glutamate
味精,Wei Jing

aspartame
nutrasweet
阿斯巴甜,A Si Ba Tian
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:48 am

10 food additives to avoid for good health.

1. HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP: HFCS is the number one source of calories for most Americans and causes obesity. [A recent study also found high levels of mercury in over 50% of HFCS]
2. PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED OILS (TRANS FATS): Partially hydrogenated oils are found in thousands of
processed foods (breakfast cereals, cookies, chips).
3. MSG: Monosodium glutamate is a chemical that has been associated with reproductive disorders, migraine headaches, permanent damage to the endocrine system leading to obesity and other serious disorders. MSG is used in many foods as a taste enhancer. It is linked to reduced fertility.
4. SODIUM NITRATE: This is a preservative, coloring, and flavoring commonly added to bacon, ham, hot dogs, luncheon meats, smoked fish and corned beef.
5. REFINED SOY: When it comes to soy, much of what we read and hear about comes from the people who market it.
6. WHITE SUGAR: Sugar is more addictive than cocaine!
Sugar has a profound influence on your brain function and your psychological function.
7. SODIUM CHLORIDE: Commercial table salt is highly processed and full of aluminum, chemicals and additives which are toxic.
8. ASPARTAME, SPLENDA, SWEET N LOW, EQUAL: Aspartame is an artificial, chemical sweetener found in many foods and beverages including desserts, gelatins, protein powder, low calorie foods, drink mixes and sodas. It may cause cancer or neurological problems, such as dizziness, migraine headaches, weight gain, increased appetite, bloating, rashes or hallucinations. Aspartame poisoning mimics symptoms of MS. NutraSweet is in over 7,000 foods!
9. FOOD COLORINGS: (Blue 1, 2; Red 3; Green 3; Yellow 5, 6) Six food colorings still on the market are linked with cancer in animal testing.
10. PROCESSED/REFINED WHEAT AND GLUTEN: Refined grains are void of nutrients, disrupt insulin levels and are highly allergenic for many individuals.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Return to Off the Topic