Time to leave

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Time to leave

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:42 pm

John is one of the funniest guys here.

I still laugh about his comment towards that taichi guy who thought he could push someone 100ft by being soft. Something along the lines of "you must be a rich kid, because you've never had to carry water from point A to point B." LOL.
Ian

Postby Frazetta on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Good for JW. It sounds like he remembered that time spent teaching and training was worth so much more than jabbering on the internet. It's kinda like a sewing circle where nothing ever gets done. Good for him and good training to him. Godspeed, John.
Frazetta
Anjing

Postby wuwei on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Wang Laoshi please come back at some point in time. You are one of my most respected members in this board. We chi huggers need you more than anyone else to whack some good old common sense back into us. I learned a great deal from you.
wuwei
Anjing

Postby iwalkthecircle on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 pm

Wang laoShi,

Thank you for the good work that you did on EF.com & EF.net.
You have opened many peoples' eyes on EF.
I do personally think that you post the most useful information on EF & is what make EF a cool place to be....
Your love for SC and humor are evident to all as it spread to many of us here.

Most importantly thank you personally for opening the door for me to SC......
A couple of years ago I would thought that SC is western wrestling.
I didNot it was practiced as CMA.

Hope you come back soon to here or ef.net.

worry not i will get my yearly dosage of JW in person one way or another.
maybe if the job works out in austin with your friend, i will be there in a heart beat.

see you later,
John =)
Last edited by iwalkthecircle on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:25 am

Wow. Sorry to hear you're leaving John. You're one of our old guard here. But I can understand needing to take a break. We all need to do it from time to time. But you'll be back. We all come back no matter how many times we leave... well, except for Asura, who seems to have walked off into the sunset for good :-\ .
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:43 am

here is a good example.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/s ... g+3+guards

so I started a thread about the idea of passing the 3 guards.

JW posted several clips and showed his ideas about the concept.

at the time, I was always amazed about his candid posting of vid's about his shuai jiao training, when discussing topics, he always used vid's or texts from a book etc for references.

I especially like his posting vid's about Ba Ji sets at meng cun and then he did a long fist form in return.

this is the spirit of exchange, I show my stuff, and then it is your turn to show some of yours etc.

another example;

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/s ... hp?t=38512

every one posted some info from his or her style.

it is all good. I only know a few styles so I cannot comment on all of them.

but everyone is willing to share his or her info.

again,

on the internet, video or forum posting, they are just scratching the surface or just pieces and bits of info.

---

if we dun agree on certain things, then just leave it at there.

actually, a lot of good discussion are via PM.

--

when I post or feed into a thread, I usually provide some info. and limit argument to one or just a few posts. then move on.

--

;D ;)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:05 am

SPJ wrote:here is a good example.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/s ... g+3+guards

so I started a thread about the idea of passing the 3 guards.

JW posted several clips and showed his ideas about the concept.

at the time, I was always amazed about his candid posting of vid's about his shuai jiao training, when discussing topics, he always used vid's or texts from a book etc for references.

I especially like his posting vid's about Ba Ji sets at meng cun and then he did a long fist form in return.

this is the spirit of exchange, I show my stuff, and then it is your turn to show some of yours etc.

another example;

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/s ... hp?t=38512

every one posted some info from his or her style.

it is all good. I only know a few styles so I cannot comment on all of them.

but everyone is willing to share his or her info.

again,

on the internet, video or forum posting, they are just scratching the surface or just pieces and bits of info.

---

if we dun agree on certain things, then just leave it at there.

actually, a lot of good discussion are via PM.

--

when I post or feed into a thread, I usually provide some info. and limit argument to one or just a few posts. then move on.

--

;D ;)

It is just my long way of saying

PLEEE---ZE DUN leave.

;D
SPJ
Wuji

Postby canard on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:12 am

Always enjoyed your posts John, and your humour.
Good training to you.
not quite exactly in the service of the Crown
canard
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:17 am

We'll miss you John and there's no reason to leave unless you really want to use the time for other things.

Yes someone on a thread who trains has been in fights with strangers (who probably had no training) said some pretty disrespectful things.

I would just ignore it, (no offense to dude) but as far as I know it's not as if this person is some type of world fighting champion. If someone says they've been in fights with strangers and their students are impressed with them it just doesn't mean anything to me, if they say they've tried their techniques on and international level and have still been victorious that's another thing.

John Wang you have been on that international level, you know your stuff.

Yes some people may disagree with you from time and get protective about their arts but I'd like you to know that Americans are just very opinionated and even through some may disagree with you there's no reason to take it as a personal attack, we're just expressing different points of view. A lot of us who get in heated discussions here forget about it the next day. (At least I know I do.)

You have done a lot to inspire me, in fact your posts have helped influenced me to want to train in SC to get a deeper understanding of my style and CMA in general, but I haven't found a class close to my house that just focusses on SC. So now I train in sambo because the school isn't too far and it seems like the next best thing since it also has a Chinese/Mongolian/Central Asian influence.

You have also helped me design my own grappling dummy. I had a previous grappling dummy that fell apart and then I had wanted to get one like you had but I did't have the money so I designed one that's not heavy but as a result allows me to focus on speed just as you said on the kettlebell thread.

My new grappling dummy is made from an old boxing bag with a heavy medicine ball as the base, stuffing for the rest and a judo gi jacket on it wrapped up in bungee chords. It's works wonderfully, I can focus on speed and besides I've found when throws I prefer (usually sweeps) are done right the opponent doesn't feel heavy anyway. (Maybe next year I'll get a dummy like yours.)

My point is you have been an inspiration to most of us here and have helped a lot of us on here with training methods, training tips, and looking at our fighting on more realistic terms.

Thank you John, you will be missed.

Greg
Last edited by CaliG on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
CaliG

Postby lars on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:41 am

qiphlow wrote:too bad. john wang is one of the more knowledgeable members of the forum. but i'll miss the humor the most.

QFT
Hope you will change your mind sometime...
Until then, I will train my headlock in reverence ;D
lars
Anjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:35 am

John,

Good luck in all your endeavors. Without you here EF won't be the same. I have two cousins in Texas now and 1 in Arizona, so hopefully I will be be able to make it down in your area sooner or later.

Thanks,
Justin S.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:34 am

Since I am certainly not one to be criticizing anyone for online behavior, so I'll merely say, do come back at some point John. Agree or disagree, you're a fun guy to have around.
I don't get into these silly internal vs external wars anymore. I do what I do and am happy with it. These arguments are like having to explain a joke.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:36 am

Sorry to hear that John. But I think you got it wrong. This forum is not for changing the minds of people. That would be an endeavor to hard to achieve. We are here just to share and, most of the times, we can only agree to disagree. The best it can do is change your own mind. Maybe that's what it did for you in the end. Take care and best of lucks.
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby iwalkthecircle on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:38 am

xingyijuan wrote:Sorry to hear that John. But I think you got it wrong. This forum is not for changing the minds of people. That would be an endeavor to hard to achieve. We are here just to share and, most of the times, we can only agree to disagree. The best it can do is change your own mind. Maybe that's what it did for you in the end. Take care and best of lucks.

i think it is very hard to change people's mind.
personally JW has change my mind manyTimes by planting seeds.
Last edited by iwalkthecircle on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:47 am

Well when i clicked on this thread i was hoping it was what i thought it was...unfortunately i was right.

Hope you're just going to take a break then return, as i enjoied your posts and provocative insights.
AllanF

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic